New Green Day album "Father of All Motherfuckers"

petros

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Lindemulder said:

Just listened to American Idiot front to back. I know this is a blinkforum and I am without a doubt a bigger fan but damn, that album is so cool, and I also believe its better than Untitled

They're both great albums. I believe they're so different though that you can't put them against each other. It's like comparing a NOFX album to a Offspring album, maybe the same subgenre but they're so widely different

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 10:44 AM, Lindemulder said:

Just listened to American Idiot front to back. I know this is a blinkforum and I am without a doubt a bigger fan but damn, that album is so cool, and I also believe its better than Untitled

Great album, but nah, Untitled is definitely better.  American Idiot does get tired if you play it too much, and it has a bit of a lull in the middle of the album.  Untitled never managed to get that staleness going for me, and stays strong from start to finish.

• Like 2
  • Crab 1

On 6/6/2020 at 11:44 AM, Lindemulder said:

It is a better album. Great rock album for sure 

• Like 1

AI gets annoying because there are songs on there that are just straight lifted from others. I didn't know a lot of them when I first listened to the record, but it really is jarring when you figure out what exact song they're ripping off. A lot of Green Day songs do this in fact. Everything from The Struts, Ryan Adams, Motley Crue, Jawbreaker, The Kinks, Dillinger Four, Isley Brothers, Chicago, The Clash, etc.

8 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

AI gets annoying because there are songs on there that are just straight lifted from others. I didn't know a lot of them when I first listened to the record, but it really is jarring when you figure out what exact song they're ripping off. A lot of Green Day songs do this in fact. Everything from The Struts, Ryan Adams, Motley Crue, Jawbreaker, The Kinks, Dillinger Four, Isley Brothers, Chicago, The Clash, etc.

That stuff doesn’t bother me. 

but, I’ve always found this one to be super funny

2 hours ago, daveyjones said:

yea, that never happens with blink songs... 🙄  [hums I–V–vi–IV ad nauseum]

I don't think he's denying that, he's just saying once you recognize where the tunes are being lifted from, it can be annoying especially when an album is full of it, and I get it to an extent.  I can typically look past it if the music is still good.  But it is interesting, you see Underclass Hero by Sum 41 get shit on a lot for that very thing, but I'd argue that album is no worse in that regard than American Idiot is.  I think the Sum 41 situation just got more shit because it was the first album without the genuine talent of Brownsound infusing the music full of his own unique sounds, like Sum 41 prior to Underclass Hero weren't so known for borrowing so heavily from other music, while Green Day had been doing that for long before American Idiot.  Frankly, I'd probably put both those albums on about the same level, enjoyable listens start to finish, not particularly breaking new ground with anything they're putting forward, fun to listen to over and over for brief periods of life, but too much can quickly get you turned off of the album and put it on a shelf again for months or even years before you listen again.

2 minutes ago, M!ke said:

it can be annoying especially when an album is full of it

indeed. i've done my fair share of griping on these boards that listening to "feeling this" or "always" is just hearing "man overboard" or "story of a lonely guy" or "dammit" or "dick lips" or "untitled" or "i'm sorry" or "carousel" or "m+m's" or "toast and bananas" all over again.

at least tom is totally honest about this in the pursuit of tone documentary, calling it "the most basic chord progression that we've used a thousand times" ...

Just now, daveyjones said:

indeed. i've done my fair share of griping on these boards that listening to "feeling this" or "always" is just hearing "man overboard" or "story of a lonely guy" or "dammit" or "dick lips" or "untitled" or "i'm sorry" or "carousel" or "m+m's" or "toast and bananas" all over again.

at least tom is totally honest about this in the pursuit of tone documentary, calling it "the most basic chord progression that we've used a thousand times" ...

True, and I have far less of an issue when a band is just ripping off themselves.  I think it's a bit more disheartening when they're heavily borrowing from other artists.

16 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

that's curious. i feel the opposite. 🤔

Well we certainly don't have to agree on personal preferences.  But for me, I don't think it'd have bothered me at all if the tune for Ice Ice Baby was lifted from some of Vanilla Ice's other music, compared to how disrespectful it was to blatantly steal the tune from Under Pressure (and then of course couple that with how he'd go on to try and argue how they aren't the same at all).

• Haha 1