Worst/most obnoxious “woah oh” or “na na” on California

Russel Coight

Even the people that like the album can surely agree that there is at least a few times on the record where a song would have been better without a certain “woah oh” or “na na”. So which one is it for you?

My vote goes to the bridge on the song ‘California’. It would’ve been far, far better to instead write very easy guitar part that did the same thing the “nananananna woah oh” does. 

If you’re going to just say “all of them” just for the lolz you’re a cunt.

I've put a lot of thought in this:

1. Hey, I'm Sorry: This one's the worst because it was actually a good song.  They have absolutely no place in it, what is going on in that intro?? 

2. She's Out Of Her..OMFG,  this song makes blink sound like little preteen girls, especially the whoas.  Shut up Mark.

3. No Future:  Gang Nanas!  With a tired sounding Mark lol.  this song makes me want to drag my face through glass

4. Teenage Satelites:  Really?  A strung out "Whooaaa" end chorus?

5. Los Angeles:  It sounds like Mark is having a seizure. 

6. Rabbit Hole:  This whoa-tactular outro sounds like a completely different band. A Feldy moment indeed.

7. San Diego:  Shut up Matt. Seriously.  Ruining yet again a potentially good song for no reason.

8. Cynical:  These aren't as jarring but come on, pointlessly popping up in a good song..

9. Left Alone:  Just because this songs overrated and they have whoas going for an entire 1:03 of the song.

10. California:  I actually don't hate this one because it sounds like the songs a troll, but WOW is that a whoa.

California sounds better than NINE on revisit, mainly due to it still having resemblance of instruments, but glad they dialed back on these.

• Like 1

All right guys have your little tea party somewhere else please ^

It does beg the question why past instances of their 'na na's' work so well e.g. Party Song, Online Songs, All the Small Things, Story of a Lonely Guy
Is it because the above mentioned songs 'na nas' are given their own individual interesting melody whereas most of the na nas on California copy the chorus melody most of the time (No Future, California) or their just dull melodies (Parking Lot).
Am I reading too much into this?
Yes.

3 minutes ago, yodda said:

All right guys have your little tea party somewhere else please ^

It does beg the question why past instances of their 'na na's' work so well e.g. Party Song, Online Songs, All the Small Things, Story of a Lonely Guy
Is it because the above mentioned songs 'na nas' are given their own individual interesting melody whereas most of the na nas on California copy the chorus melody most of the time (No Future, California) or their just dull melodies (Parking Lot).
Am I reading too much into this?
Yes.

I think it’s just that they were so few and far between before. Having them on pretty much every song on California is where the issue comes from.

Outside of just saying all of them, the one that bugs me the most are the ones on No Future. I actually don't mind No Future as a song, I actually genuinely like the stupid chorus but they pad the song out with the gang na na na's freakin' twice. and it's unnecessary, and annoying, and I'm almost shocked they didn't release it as a proper single because that's the only logical reason I can think of to pointlessly do that. Those na na nas are why I don't listen to the song. 

There's loads of California ones where I just *cant* because of the annoying repetitions but No Future is the one where it bugs me because if those weren't there I'd probably have the song on a playlist or something. 

• Like 1

I don't know about the "worst" one, but Parking Lot literally made me laugh out loud the first time I heard it. We had just spent a year complaining about whoa oh's and na na's, and then Parking Lot came out and hit us with more whoa oh's and na na's. I cracked up on that first listen.

I actually kinda like the song, but I thought that was so funny.

• Like 1