NINE Official Discussion

Russel Coight

19 minutes ago, Elisa said:

This album is so solid. I really like it. It's a huge step up from Cali.

I think they fooled me completely with BIOMY and the other songs but I agree, they were not indicative of the album, yet they sound better in the context of the album. And Skeebs shinesss. I've been vocal about blink lately but I'm glad I like Nine so far.

*flies to Kansas* 

all this makes me so excited! sucks I have to wait another 4 hours, work su...

• Like 1

The songs still sound fresh hence the wave of positivity, but I prefer to give the album some time to sink in before deciding whether I like it or not.

The new songs do sound better than the singles, but the bar was set so low that I'm not sure how much to take out of it.

What I can say for sure is that some of the flaws in California still exist here - guitar work isn't impressive, lyrics are pretty much the same level, Matt and Mark sharing vocal duties to the point it feels too forced in some songs, overproduced songs that are destined to crash live, etc. Also, the fact that most songs were written by co-writers do hurt the listening experience, at least for me. Feels weird hearing my favorite band singing words that a large portion of them weren't written by them.

The style of the songs is also all over the place, you can argue it's just as disjointed as Neighborhoods.

• Like 1

Seriously though 
No one's talking about the blatant similarities between Feeling This and The First Time

washed out drum intro, similar guitar riff, exposed vocals in verses, bass prominent choruses with a playful nursery rhyme style melody, counter melodies over heavier instrumentations, lyrics seem to be about sex

I like the song but I think it's mostly because Feeling This is like my favourite blink-182 song.

• Like 1
  • Love 1