NINE Official Discussion

Russel Coight

This is much better than California - Matt finally gets to put in his AK3 influence here and there and they were somewhat more experimental.

With that being said, I'm pretty embarrassed by the amount of people who think that Mark is at all breaking any sort of boundaries with this record, especially when you cruise through his discography. +44 blows Nine out of the water when it comes to experimentation - hell even that one off song he made for Burton's Alice in Wonderland was weirder than anything we got on here.

My biggest gripe - and Aria pointed this out before, is that this album is clearly being written for someone else. It's not genuine, and you can hear it with the

-Consistent autotune

-lack of instrumentation

-radio-made tricks and injections in the music... What I mean by that, is that 90% of the tracks has some generic addition that we've heard with every single pop song that you'll here on the radio. For example, drum compressions on EVERY track (whatever it's called when it sounds like the drums are being played through a radio filter). Or vocal hooks, or drum fills, or pauses in the song that are boring and extremely predictable.

With that being said, some alright tracks on the album. Personal favourites being No Heart to Speak Of and Heaven and Black Rain - mostly because it sounds like Skiba's Sekrets and an Enema Mark.

I just fucking wish they stopped using auto tune.

• Like 2

I guess it’s alright. Because it’s “blink 182” I’m really trying to force myself to like it a hell of a lot more than I do.

All of the songs are really forgettable. No heart to speak of is probably the only one I genuinely like. Everything else is just not what I’m into. Not an indictment on what others like or what the band wants to do now, but it’s just not it for me. 

Only listened once so far and overall really happy but just one quick observation that I’ve been saying since California (despite loving that album) why so many slow verses still? You can tell Mark doesn’t imagine playing newer stuff live. It’s like they want their crowds to be completely dead during verses and then have a little jump around for the chorus and then back to being dead.

• Like 1