NINE Official Discussion

Russel Coight

26 minutes ago, Neal said:

Ransom is fucking great. On some emo shit is super mediocre though imo. Do people try to like iz more because it is allegedly only written by the band? Most bland song of the album for me so far...

Really surprised by the whole thing still. Great record. 

I don't care that it's the only song that was written by the band. I just like it. I like how it sounds, it gives me this melancholy, nostalgic feeling. When I heard it for the first time, it just felt/sounded so familiar. I like that it talks about being in New York, heartbroken but trying to get over someone. I can picture in my head the lyrics and Skiba gives me real chills in the prechorus and in the chorus. It's just beautiful.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Elisa said:

I don't care that it's the only song that was written by the band. I just like it. I like how it sounds, it gives me this melancholy, nostalgic feeling. When I heard it for the first time, it just felt/sounded so familiar. I like that it talks about being in New York, heartbroken but trying to get over someone. I can picture in my head the lyrics and Skiba gives me real chills in the prechorus and in the chorus. 

Funny. I dont cate about it at all. Wort song for me on the record

I’m glad that a leak motivated to me to get out of bed instead of the fear of missing class again. I only listened to the album all the way once, and have been repeating No Heart To Speak Of to the point where I’m going to hate it eventually, but fuck it.

This is one weird album. Some songs are questionable and others I am genuinely impressed. I’m surprised how well the electronic incorporations actually serve the songs. There are a lot of moments that genuinely sound like +44 2.0 and that shocked me in the most pleasant way. Some of the electronic parts are awkward and it takes a while to get used to blink singing over them, but the way they are incorporated in other parts of the album remind me of +44, and I am totally down for that.

No Heart To Speak Of is exactly what I wanted from this lineup. You got a perfect mix of ALK3 and +44 with this song. The outro was unexpected but a lovely surprise, that’s the closest they’ve gotten to the +44 sound. I’m sure I’ll be sick of it soon but that was the first song I came back to after running through the whole album. I’m declaring it the best song blink has released with Matt. I wish it was entirely Matt but I’m not even mad at Mark’s verse, it’s still a damn good song. Probably one of the few times a modern blink song has made me feel something, beyond just liking the hook of whatnot.

Remember To Forget Me came out a lot better than I thought it would, so that’s probably my second favorite off Nine. I like the acoustic touch, and the electronic beats took me off guard but they don’t kill the song for me. This is actually one of the few Mark performances on this album I actually like. Even more than Matt’s.

I’m going to be an asshole here, but I am about sick of Mark’s voice. I’m sorry, but the poor man is losing it. I’m used to his voice being subpar live, and it’s understandable..but hearing him trying to get through some of his lines on this album in the STUDIO and not understand what he’s singing is hard to listen to. I’m sure the producers know this because it’s mostly Mark’s voice that is processed to hell while Matt’s is usually clean. It wasn’t as noticeable with Tom in the band but considering Matt’s voice is still in healthy shape, Mark stands out a lot more. I think he should stick to his lower voice, which is what I think is happening now. As stated above, his performance on RTFM and Heaven were solid.

Can’t really say anything else right now other than that they lied about no woah’s and I was disappointed that Matt didn’t get a solo song - a lot of opportunities there. I think Matt doing those background woah’s to create ambience in emptier sections is getting old quick. Someone said it seems like the technique they use now instead of writing a guitar part and I see it. I’m surprised how much BCR vibes are on this record, let alone +44. Run Away sounds like Linkin Park and Hungover You sounds like a heavier Simple Creatures b-side. On Some Emo Shit’s chorus reminds me of The Front Bottoms. Ransom was not how I expected it to go, but it’s basically Cyncial 2.0 with bait in the beginning. I figured Black Rain would be a lot more mellow and electronic throughout the whole song, but the overall vibe was close, didn’t expect the heavier upbeat parts. I forgot Pin The Grenade existed, I like the chorus but that one and Run Away (actually like this one despite it being a more lazy songwriting-wise) seem to be the forgettable ones. I would include Hungover You but it’s pretty cool once it kicks off, part of it does seem like a straight up pop song from the late 2000’s so it’s a funny contrast.

Favorites ATM: No Heart To Speak Of, Remember To Forget Me, Heaven, Black Rain, On Some Emo Shit, Hungover You

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jlx9 said:

I’m going to be an asshole here, but I am about sick of Mark’s voice. I’m sorry, but the poor man is losing it. I’m used to his voice being subpar live, and it’s understandable..but hearing him trying to get through some of his lines on this album in the STUDIO and not know what he’s singing is hard to listen to. I’m sure the producers know this because it’s mostly Mark’s voice that is processed to hell while Matt’s is usually clean. It wasn’t as noticeable with Tom in the band but considering Matt’s voice is still in healthy shape, Mark stands out a lot more. I think he should stick to his lower voice, which is what I think is happening now. As stated above, his performance on RTFM and Heaven were solid.

Man I just see the opposite, I think he is putting more effort into it now more than ever.  

Also, I understand people bringing up the "Matt instead of a guitar part" but man, that was a Tom thing, those riffs.  Skiba's most effective trait is his awesome vocal range so it makes sense why they would use it like an instrument, I dunno, I see it as using the tools they have effectively.  

• Like 5

This is great! Stand out tracks for me after one listen are On some Emo Shit, Pin the Grenade and The First Time.

Also, is it only me or are the already released song way better in context of the album? I wasnt a fan of IRWIHY so far, but I kinda start to digging it. 

• Like 2

It is just insane to me how many completely NEW sounds blink manages to incorporate into this album without it ever feeling forced or lame. There are so many powerful moments throughout the album. And like jarjar said there are so many little flairs here and there that really complete the songs and make them something special. You can tell they put a lot of time and effort into this and should really be proud of it. There aren't any tracks that feel like filler at all

I'm pumped for them!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Man I just see the opposite, I think he is putting more effort into it now more than ever.  

Also, I understand people bringing up the "Matt instead of a guitar part" but man, that was a Tom thing, those riffs.  Skiba's most effective trait is his awesome vocal range so it makes sense why they would use it like an instrument, I dunno, I see it as using the tools they have effectively.  

I think it was cool when they first debuted it on songs like San Diego and Long Lost Feeling. With San Diego it sounded like a homage to Adam’s Song and I think it also fits perfectly on Long Lost Feeling’s outro.

It has its place, but I think it becomes less special or effective when it’s used on almost every song. There doesn’t have to be a killer riff or solo instead, but I think it would work better to just have an ambient synth or guitar to fill the space there. 

Matt’s voice has spoiled me so much that I get pissed off when Mark comes in on what I assume would be a Matt song lmao. I just think the vibes change or there are just some lines that work better with Matt. Mark still has his moments, but I think we can all agree that Mark is now the weaker link vocally. 

I thought Mark and Matt harmonized well on The First Time’s chorus and like I said above, RTFM was probably the first song in a while that I preferred Mark’s voice over Matt’s. Matt’s parts were good as usual, but Mark owned RTFM.