NINE Official Discussion

Russel Coight

1 minute ago, Scott. said:

Skiba is incredible in no heart to speak of. Fuck me he’s well and truly made me look a right cunt here. What a fucking song. An absolute force of nature. Tornados in my head

I accept your apology on behalf of skiba,

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nshesaid said:

This doesn't sound like the same band.  Like Live, California, or the Singles.  this sounds like near prime Mark and Skiba +44 meets Alkaline Trio, the good songs at least. 

This is the album we all wanted when this new lineup was announced. I get them playing it safe with California but fuck am I glad they’ve loosened up on this album.

Been lurking more than posting here the last few years so I’ll be brief: I wasn’t excited for NINE after the released songs. I hated BIOMY, and the rest were forgettable.

So WHY in the FUCK did they hide the rest of these songs til now?! There’s some proper bangers on this. If “No Heart To Speak Of” isn’t the next single then they’re insane. Skiba finally allowed to get stuck in creatively and as a result on NINE we get a satisfying +44/Alk3 hybrid that is nothing like what we’ve gotten the last 3 years. Eating a bit of crow today but happily so. 

• Like 1

I'll never be a fan of Blink co-writing with a million people but this album is an example of how much more palatable it is when the songs still end up matching the band, especially lyrically. One of the biggest complaints about California was the overwhelming feeling of the songs being steered toward teenagers, but writing about adult themes that can convincingly seem like they're from the band's current state of mind makes such a huge difference on this album.

They can be both "poppy" enough for new listeners to catch on while still giving off a vibe that they should be taken somewhat seriously. That was totally lacking on California.

• Like 1