NINE Official Discussion

Russel Coight

Matt sounds like his Alk3 self on Heaven, more Alk3 vocals and less yelling pls (or no yelling at all). One track that i really hated is ransom, it started well and then the second half goes full generic NOFX "punk rawk" shit. Love the album overall and still don't get the hate for BIOMY and IRWIHY, they're both fantastic in my opinion.

P.S: Skip the "flac" copies, they're all fake. We'll have to wait until release date for proper cd quality.

23 minutes ago, Adrianm14 said:

Co-produced and co-written by Feldy !  

Andrew Watt, Ali Thompson and Feldy are all listed as writers 

Tim Pagnotta and Feldy are credited as producers 

Well there ya go! I guess I just saw those two names and assumed they were the only extras involved.

• Like 1

Oh dear. What a disappointment this album really was.

Very average to shit songs from start to finish. I know Blink have to change their music to keep it fresh, but this was just so different that you couldn't even tell it was Blink for most of the album. You literally could tell it was written by a bunch of different people. Like seriously, not even one good and catchy song in the whole album? It just felt very bland to me. Black Rain had potential, but then it went to complete shit after 40 seconds. It felt like they wrote one part of the song 1 day and came back to it weeks later. Pretty much sums the whole album up to me. 

Mark and Travis should have just started a side project and asked Matt to join, because this is not Blink-182. It's so far from Blink-182. At least then we'd understand if they were trying something different; Mark and Travis did it with +44, which worked out pretty well at the time. But to me, they're doing more damage than good to Blink's legacy. But I guess we all know why they're using Blink's name. 

I guess the kids of this generation will like this type of music. But this isn't the Blink I used to love. Before you say, "oh, they have to change. They can't make music like they used to." I get it. I understand. But it's like they're just trying to force out music that fits the music of today. I would prefer if they took a risk with their music. It's worked out many times with Blink in the past, so it wouldn't hurt. And when Blink did change their music, it still had the Blink-182 feel to it. That's not what Nine had. It just felt like they made different music for the sake of it.

I'm now certain Tom is the most talented song writer out of the lot of them. He always knew how to write a catchy song and get Blink in the right direction. Am I asking for Tom to come back? Probably not. But Blink will never write another good album again if he's not there. It's just the truth. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Very average to shit songs from start to finish. I know Blink have to change their music to keep it fresh, but this was just so different that you couldn't even tell it was Blink for most of the album. You literally could tell it was written by a bunch of different people. Like seriously, not even one good and catchy song in the whole album? It just felt very bland to me. Black Rain had potential, but then it went to complete shit after 40 seconds. It felt like they wrote one part of the song 1 day and came back to it weeks later. Pretty much sums the whole album up to me. 

Mark and Travis should have just started a side project and asked Matt to join, because this is not Blink-182. It's so far from Blink-182. At least then we'd understand if they were trying something different; Mark and Travis did it with +44, which worked out pretty well at the time. But to me, they're doing more damage than good to Blink's legacy. But I guess we all know why they're using Blink's name. 

I guess the kids of this generation will like this type of music. But this isn't the Blink I used to love. Before you say, "oh, they have to change. They can't make music like they used to." I get it. I understand. But it's like they're just trying to force out music that fits the music of today. I would prefer if they took a risk with their music. It's worked out many times with Blink in the past, so it wouldn't hurt. And when Blink did change their music, it still had the Blink-182 feel to it. That's not what Nine had. It just felt like they made different music for the sake of it.

I'm now certain Tom is the most talented song writer out of the lot of them. He always knew how to write a catchy song and get Blink in the right direction. Am I asking for Tom to come back? Probably not. But Blink will never write another good album again if he's not there. It's just the truth. 

I haven’t listened to the album yet but I do know at the least it has 5 cheesy and horrible songs on it. So my hope for the other songs are not high to say the least. I agree with all of the sentiment you shared and it seems like you were the first to post an honest review on this thread about the album. I bet people that are saying it’s great now will be trashing it in a year, just like what happened with California 

5 minutes ago, The Bean Twiddler said:

I haven’t listened to the album yet but I do know at the least it has 5 cheesy and horrible songs on it. So my hope for the other songs are not high to say the least. I agree with all of the sentiment you shared and it seems like you were the first to post an honest review on this thread about the album. I bet people that are saying it’s great now will be trashing it in a year, just like what happened with California 

You automatically think one of the only negative reviews here so far is the only honest one without having even listened to the album... ?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jamie said:

great review

you have discernment and dont let the likeness you have for certain band blur ur judgement

one thing that realy killed the 2-3 good songs on this record is the absolute stubbornness to put mark on every single track prob because feldy thinks if marks isnt there then fan wont see it has blink

and it wont get millions of views again going for the $$$

by example  "no heart to speak off" everything is dandy until... yet again! mark as to dump himself in there

i cant tolerate it as good as the song is its so off, out of place, and that part doesn't suit marks at all

its just part of the manic they have to put mark on every song

they never did that before, there was duo yes but u wouldn't have every single track with mark in them

its so dumb that they do that i find it very nasty and disingenuous 

i agree with alll that you said for the most part

these songs sound so cheap and low quality song writing wise

uninspired "riffs" 

uninpsired parts that are lame re-hash of re-hash of re-hash 

aside of happy days who i consider to be a great song with nice trow backs to dude ranch in a modern setting

the rest is realy bad 

4 minutes ago, Jamie said:

You know, there are different types of blink fans, some of them just like blink for being energetic and catchy and they will still like the new music because you can call it energetic and catchy, but these terms could be applied to a lot of bands without giving any specific characteristics. So, a band can have no individuality but still be catchy and loud and that's what happens on Nine.

And there is another type of blink fans who liked blink for "blinkiness", nursery rhymes as Tom calls it, catchy jumpy riffs and vocal melodies where words bounce off each other.

I think Nine is better than Cali, because here you can hear parts where Mark delivers a bit of this "blinkiness" (Pin The Grenade), but still it is only Mark and not in his top form, and we know that blink sound was mostly Tom. So, we get ugly version of what used to be an input into blink sound by Mark and no Tom. Tom is changed over Linkin Park-esque shitty over produced vomit.

I hate songs like Black Rain, Hungover You and so on, because they sound like generic late Alk3 songs but with even more production. I think Skiba's input is unlistenable and you only would like it if you like over the top dramatic pop rock or just liked blink for being a "rock" band with "loud" songs. Mark's songs are way more bouncy and catchy, not as stale. Pin The Grenade is a worse version of Cliff Diving and just makes me wish for another +44 album. 

17 minutes ago, yodda said:

Remember to Forget Me is truly Good Charlotte levels of cringe.

Probably the worst track here - following suit with California in that regard.

California is actually less dramatic and less offensive, I think it's even better. At least it's not trying to claim itself as something bombastic and great. It just exists.

2 minutes ago, alex_dept. said:

California is actually less dramatic and less offensive, I think it's even better. At least it's not trying to claim itself as something bombastic and great. It just exists.

Actually true

California is more pointless than terrible

She's Out of Her Mind is the most obnoxious song on Cali 

• Like 1