NINE Official Discussion

Russel Coight

unpopular opinion: fall out boys reunion after their breakup is how blink should of approached their comeback.  multiple times they said "we are a big arena band so we are going to write big arena catchy songs and try and be the biggest band on the planet" . 

they play the pop radio festivals and the rock ones at the same time.  and are as relevant as ever.  do collabs with all the rappers of the moment but in a cool way.  they've been bigger than ever, ever since and i think they are great.

huge songs they've had since their return:

my songs know what you did (light em up)
young volcanoes
irresistible
centuries
uma thurman

1 minute ago, epitaphellcat said:

unpopular opinion: fall out boys reunion after their breakup is how blink should of approached their comeback.  multiple times they said "we are a big arena band so we are going to write big arena catchy songs and try and be the biggest band on the planet" . 

they play the pop radio festivals and the rock ones at the same time.  and are as relevant as ever.  do collabs with all the rappers of the moment but in a cool way.  they've been bigger than ever, ever since and i think they are great.

young volcanoes
irresistible
centuries
uma thurman

1f3dd221f0c526d4b5cd7dde64e36faf.jpg

• Love 1

57 minutes ago, epitaphellcat said:

young volcanoes
irresistible
centuries
uma thurman

Yeah, if you sell out, at least succeed, blink just doesn't have the level of musicianship to sell out this way, i hate late fob, but i can't deny that they are hugely successful now

Listened again to it today. Opinion hasn't changed much. It's a good album, the pre-released tracks actually work better in context of the whole thing.

It's a nice record for sure, but it just isn't blink to me. doesn't matter that much though, i prefer them changing their sound, rather trying to sound like they did 20 years ago.

The record and production sound suspicously linkin park'esque. I'm sorry if this is in bad taste but it wouldn't surprise me if the label noticed the void in that demographic and sees an opportunity there? #fanfic #justathought

2 hours ago, Ari said:

Patrick Stump is garbage, and needs to be put in time out and told he's not Michael Jackson.  For all the shit blink gets about Co-writing, at least they're all part of the process. FOB, at least the older stuff being blown in this topic at the moment was one hundred percent one person's shit-doing and that is Pete Wentz. Stump wasn't allowed to touch the song writing process just like he wasn't allowed to stand anywhere but the back of band photos, just like he wasn't allowed to do anything but play and smile at the shows. And when he finally did break out of FOB and write his own album, well we al know how that turned out for him. 

way off base. patrick stump's one of the nicest guys in the industry (as best i can observe), someone i'd consider a pretty gifted multi-instrumentalist. in FOB, he elevates them to a different level of interesting because of the soulful inflection he employs. and saying that those songs were entirely pete wentz is pretty wack... wentz, IIRC, basically just wrote poems and sent them to stump, who developed melodies and so on and so forth (i.e., the whole band still wrote each song). and wentz was only front and center in band photos because he was so famous and chased that spotlight. one of the most interesting things about FOB is that stump seemed to care little about being the frontman, though he WAS the frontman.

and not sure you've listened to soul punk, because it's a pretty solid solo outing with a lot of heart put into it.

• Like 1

Alright so I've read all 30 pages of this before listening. I'm really glad everyone is loving it, it's nice to see. 

I've listened once. My intention is to give it a few more spins but I might focus on tracks individually instead of as a full album because a lot of these songs are really fucking samey and I just got exhausted by around track 10. 

It might be better than California but it's still very samey and repetitive and the only members identity I feel is Travis's and not for a good reason. 

I'm not going out of my way to hate on it, I was dreading listening to it tbh because everyone was so positive and I was desperate to like it but I also have people I know outside of the boards who like blink who instantly went "yeah no it's terrible" so I had a sneaking suspicion I wasn't going to be a fan.

I do think BIOMY and I Really Wish I Hated You weren't good indicators of the record but Happy Days and Darkside fit right in really. Quite copy paste songwriting wise. 

What I'll say is, Matt does quite nicely on this record, I'm glad that they've tried in places to experiment a little but I could've done with a bit more of that. Good to see not too many whoas and nananas or a blatant Adams song riff rip off.

However these typical things have been replaced with other exhausting attributes like Travis's effected drum intros and verses and the awful autotune that keeps sneaking around. 

My biggest gripe though is similar to boxelders. it doesn't feel authentic, the songs don't really mean anything because it doesn't sound like they wrote them. Even the one they actually wrote which is hysterical to me. 

Basically I'm tentative on it. I intend to listen to it a bit more and I'm not like "eurgh do I have to" like I was with Cali Deluxe (I legit don't think I listened to that more than twice) but at the moment I definitely do not love it, but I'm not full of hatred and annoyance either.

It's a shame I'll go back to being the main miserable critical cunt, I liked the brief window of having people on the same side as me. Ah well, as long as everyones happy. 

• Like 4

Listened to "Heaven" and the grenade song. They were pretty good, but not really as good as Darkside. Darkside is a wildcard to me. If Darkside is the worst song on the album (which it isn't) it must be a great album, if Darkside is the average song on the album, it can still be a pretty good one. If Darkside is the best song we're in trouble. I'm still hoping most of these songs are better than Darkside. 

13 hours ago, Speedo said:

Your baby looks like a down syndrome Mr. Bean.

@Ry-Bread reported me for this ... for saying Ari's non-existent, fictional "baby" - the baby being the idea he birthed that Hungover You was one of the best songs on Nine (it isn't) - looks like a Down's Syndrome Mr. Bean.

You sir, are a humorless boner.

• Haha 1

Listened again today after the rose colored glasses came off. I think its better than california and the songs will probably grow on me but i cant remember which song is which sometimes because they sound so samey. Effected beat beginnings, slow electronic verse and then boomey linkin park choruses. But the highs are higher than Calis and skiba is more him on this one  and some plus-44 vibes here and there. Cant see myself listening to it from beginning to end but there are some good songs on it and i wont hate on it just because i hated cali. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Neal said:

the pre-released tracks actually work better in context of the whole thing.

I'm so surprised I don't hate I Really Wish I Hated You because I could only listen to it a few times (all while trying not to cringe) prior to the release. And while it's not my favourite song at all, it doesn't sound as out-of-place and bad as I had thought...perhaps because the whole album ended up having that electronic-y pop sound that I was really disliking in IRWIHY but that seems to integrate better in other songs.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Speedo said:

You sir, are a humorless boner.

It's a great day/thread for blink, and potentially getting new people in here and involved. No one should have to read that crap, or your constant derailing of threads. Glad to know mods can't even be trusted with a simple "reporting" process.

• Like 1