NINE Official Discussion

Russel Coight

22 minutes ago, boxelder said:

lmao right. the melting like a popsicle like is a big one, but there’s one where he tries to rhyme window with “you” 

but this i think might be his laziest/most uninspired yet:

Now I'm looking back at the city
The one that they say never sleeps
How things get so dark and shitty
Sunrise always gives us the creeps

Idk why but this one feels most cheesy to me:

And all I have here is heartache
And bones, and mirrors for me to break
Only so much bad luck a person can take
We quiver and quake, we shiver and shake

Didn't they bring a lyricist in for some of these?  And they come up with popsicle.  Like if this is what it takes to be considered a professional lyricist sign me up..

rarely post here anymore, but i just wanted to say...

It was just one time, one time

Started turning into two times, a few times

Ain't been sober in a long time, a long time

Ya you used to be all mine, all mine

IT FEELS LIKE LAST NIGHT YOU CAME OVER NOW I WAKE UP AND YOU'RE NOWHERE

Fuck this song is a toe tapper

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, boxelder said:

lmao right. the melting like a popsicle like is a big one, but there’s one where he tries to rhyme window with “you” 

but this i think might be his laziest/most uninspired yet:

Now I'm looking back at the city
The one that they say never sleeps
How things get so dark and shitty
Sunrise always gives us the creeps

Okay but did anyone catch Matt’s like from RTFG?

“We both made a left, it don't make it right”

I love the song but that part (or Matt’s entire verse) sounds like something a boy band would come up with trying to be clever and edgy and it just makes me laugh when it comes on. Honestly expected this to come from Mark lol. There’s a lot of times where Matt sounds like he’s on a boy band pop song and it’s hilariously awkward although he probably could if he tried.

• Like 1

I didn't listen to it in it's entirety yet. but I did download it and previewed some of the songs that hasn't been released yet and Wow! They really outdid themselves on some of these songs. So much better than what was released previously! I love the dark vibe of it.

It doesn't feel like Blink-182, but it's pretty damn good.

37 minutes ago, scoobs said:

rarely post here anymore, but i just wanted to say...

It was just one time, one time

Started turning into two times, a few times

Ain't been sober in a long time, a long time

Ya you used to be all mine, all mine

IT FEELS LIKE LAST NIGHT YOU CAME OVER NOW I WAKE UP AND YOU'RE NOWHERE

Fuck this song is a toe tapper

One of the best parts of the album

Now your just a stranger
And i feel like i've let you down
Your friends say i'm a failure
and i could never prove them wrong
So call me when your lonely
and maybe we can work it out
fall back in our routines
like nights i still dream about

I am loving all these lyrics on all these songs, i can finally relate to this band again

A lot of stuff from recent years felt a little bit disconnected. Nine shines at that angle

What bothers me is how they have no fucking idea who they are as a band. My theory of just trying anything and everything and hoping something sticks is clear on the album. There’s no flow or continuity, it’s very much a band (and several groups of writers) unsure of what the straight forward direction of the band is, and it shows. There’s no identity.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, jordidanen95 said:

Now your just a stranger
And i feel like i've let you down
Your friends say i'm a failure
and i could never prove them wrong
So call me when your lonely
and maybe we can work it out
fall back in our routines
like nights i still dream about

I am loving all these lyrics on all these songs, i can finally relate to this band again

A lot of stuff from recent years felt a little bit disconnected. Nine shines at that angle

I definitely can relate to melting like a popsicle on those hot summer days.

21 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

You automatically think one of the only negative reviews here so far is the only honest one without having even listened to the album... ?

You have a point. But I also know that 5 songs I heard off the album sucked...that’s what at the very least 1/3 of the album?

10 minutes ago, Nshesaid said:

I definitely can relate to melting like a popsicle on those hot summer days.

Who are you relating to though? Some pop radio writer you don’t know? Surely these lyrics aren’t from Mark’s soul. Unless he’s singing behind his wife’s back about a girl he still dreams about from over 20 years ago. There’s no sincerity in these lame lyrics 

I know everyone is wishing for this lineup to capture that classic blink sound, but it’s not going to happen. A major co-writer/frontman has been out of the band for almost five years. Hell, it was a rare occasion for classic blink to show up during the Neighborhoods/DED era. Honestly, the only song that gave me that feeling during the reunion was When I Was Young. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but that was one of the most cohesive songs between Mark and Tom (and maybe After Midnight - but that was a whole new sound for them tbh). 

The only song on California that truly sounded like classic blink was Bored to Death. There are a couple of other gems on Cali but there were more of their own thing or a nice fusion of Alkaline Trio/+44. That’s basically what this album is. I think the most blink chorus on this album has been On Some Emo Shit and it’s a great mix of indie blink and pop-punk blink.

Regardless, I don’t give a shit if it sounds like a blink or not. I just care if it’s a good product created by Mark, Matt, and Travis (and whoever the fuck else they are sleeping with) and is GENIUNE.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

That one didn't do much for me yesterday, but today it's one of my favorites. I'm honestly still kind of in shock that blink made music that I like this much in 2019.

Its the one on the album that feels the most different to me.  the least cookie cutter

13 minutes ago, scoobs said:

I feel like Pin the Grenade is far and away the most Blink sounding song on this record.  Also happens to be the best song on the record, which is no coincidence.

Fuck no way man, I don't hear any blink in that song besides "just another night until we're lost and all alone" and the quick bridge

• Like 1

No Skiba solo songs for 3 albums now makes me think the band has a goodwill clause in their contract with Tom to always have Mark/Travis involved in the songs, presumably to always preserve the reputation of the band. It doesn't make sense that Skiba hasn't had a song yet considering how much they have put out. 

• Sad 2