NINE Official Discussion

Russel Coight

3 hours ago, The Bean Twiddler said:

Who are you relating to though? Some pop radio writer you don’t know? Surely these lyrics aren’t from Mark’s soul. Unless he’s singing behind his wife’s back about a girl he still dreams about from over 20 years ago. There’s no sincerity in these lame lyrics 

Or maybe he's just telling a story, it doesn't have to be about himself. 

• Like 3

I mean, I would love to hear Mark explore more mature topics, but Mark has a happy family. Life is good. Not much angst left to write about (and even towards Tom!). I honestly don’t care at this point if he has to make some shit up to write, just as long as it’s executed well.

Well, he was depressed once the California tour ended but I guess he got all that out with Simple Creatures.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Loudernow said:

I think they sounded great, Matt's part at the end is missing though.

Yeah strange I wonder why?

3 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I Really Wish I Hated You is fucking good. I can't believe how much hate that track got when it came out.

Such a good song!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kay said:

I'm more surprised he made a dungeons and dragons reference tbh. 

Those grids are a dnd reference? They’re all over the internet these days I wouldn’t be surprised if mark didn’t realise it was. I definitely haven’t until now.

• Like 1

Just now, Matt Skiba Fan 666 said:

Those grids are a dnd reference? They’re all over the internet these days I wouldn’t be surprised if mark didn’t realise it was. I definitely haven’t until now.

Yeah in Dungeons and Dragons when you create a character you choose your characters alignments as it dictates how you should play the character - i.e., if someone needs help and your a chaotic evil character, chances are you aren't just going to do it to move the story along or because you in real life would, you're chaotic evil, so you'd probably just make it worse, it helps keep you in line with how your character behaves. those grids are the alignment options from DnD. I don't know if DnD invented the concept but it's been a part of it for decades so I'm going to assume thats what the trend is referencing, I don't know it from anywhere else. 

10 hours ago, Njdevils26 said:

What bothers me is how they have no fucking idea who they are as a band. My theory of just trying anything and everything and hoping something sticks is clear on the album. There’s no flow or continuity, it’s very much a band (and several groups of writers) unsure of what the straight forward direction of the band is, and it shows. There’s no identity.

They are just making music with no "rules", I find it refreshing. (I personally think this is how Simple Creatures changed Mark's thinking in regards to this album.) I like that it is all over the place, instead of a forced "let's make a throwback EOTS song", "lets make a slow song that would've fit on ___",  "we need a 2.5 minute up tempo song", which ends up being forced and beat to death. (I.e. Cali complaints) Their "identity" is that they like a lot of different music, wanted to get weird, and there's something on there for everyone.

• Like 4