NINE Official Discussion

Russel Coight

2 hours ago, 2003 said:

On initial listen, I do not see why this album is being viewed as better than California.  

The band has really not progressed.  It is still over produced pop-punk, and still nowhere near the level of Untitled.  Honestly, I think comparing Nine to Untitled is an insult to that record.  

It is not terrible by any means.  It is definitely listenable, but compared to Blink’s previous efforts, and as a long term fan, it is not the same.  

I think people's views are tainted. California was a pretty good comeback record with a new member with great songs even if it seemed like a regression. It was also bittersweet knowing it was written by outside songwriters and producers, which cheapened the album at least to me. Songs like Parking Lot and Wildfire probably lowered a lot of people's expectations to the band. The awful singles from Nine made the expectations even lower, and with even more co-writers and pop producers the cheapened music continues with Nine, but the fans have accepted it and taken the album for what it is. I suspect the album will get more criticism once the novelty has worn off. There's no way this album in any way is better than California. 

34 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

That's fair, I do agree it's not anywhere near the level of Untitled or any of the original albums but it IS a step forward from California. That's what I hoped for and they accomplished that, in my opinion it's a lost cause to try to compare anything to the original albums anymore. I said the other day if this was a new electronic pop/rock band with Mark, Travis, and Matt, I'd be really stoked about it and happy for them and I'm sticking with that. The fact that they continue with the Blink name kind of invites impossible expectations so I try to only judge them by the music they have put out as THIS band, with this lineup. For me it's a big step forward even if it's not a classic.

This!

It‘s nowhere near as good as Untitled or Neighborhoods, but it has more good songs than California on it and is overall a step in the right direction. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, jlx9 said:

Is anybody else annoyed to hell by that smiley face cursor that is never on time with the lyrics? I miss the old watercolor videos during California Deluxe, which at least added some personality to the songs.

I'm not one to complain about lyric videos but that bouncy smiley needs to go.

• Like 2
  • Crab 1

3 hours ago, 2003 said:

On initial listen, I do not see why this album is being viewed as better than California.  

The band has really not progressed.  It is still over produced pop-punk, and still nowhere near the level of Untitled.  Honestly, I think comparing Nine to Untitled is an insult to that record.  

It is not terrible by any means.  It is definitely listenable, but compared to Blink’s previous efforts, and as a long term fan, it is not the same.  

Only song that gives me untitled vibes is NHTSO, like I can imagine Tom's tone there and it just fits like something after Untitled, just with Skibs soaring vocals

My initial wow @ this album was mainly shock the album turned out a lot better than the singles for the most part. Still overly produced pop for sure, but I'm probably gonna actually continue listening to some of these. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Phteven_DeLounge said:

So far, the most played song on YouTube is Remember to Forget Me.

Disclaimer: The songs were uploaded at different times. RTFM was part of one batch.

Good. It’s an absolute tune and I don’t understand why so many people aren’t enjoying it. I will admit that the lyrics in Matt’s verse are a fair bit iffy.

54 minutes ago, ManchesterAdam said:

Good. It’s an absolute tune and I don’t understand why so many people aren’t enjoying it. I will admit that the lyrics in Matt’s verse are a fair bit iffy.

Matt’s verse is the only real dud in the song, which is surprising because Matt has had the upper hand throughout the album. Everything else he does in the song is great though.

It’s interesting (to me anyway) how Mark and Matt seem to go 50/50 in almost every song, ie you don’t get songs like you did with Mark and Tom where one carries the whole tune or the majority of it. Seems a bit formulaic that Mark starts a song - then Matt kicks in (or the opposite). 

It’s not a complaint - just an observation and doesn’t mean any songs are harmed bc of it (though I think something like Parking Lot would be amazing if the middle 1/3 featuring Mark was eliminated as the first and last 1/3 are pretty solid - realizing that’s a different album)  

Have really taken to No Heart. Great song. The entire album is pretty solid. I’m more impressed by the songs that didn’t get released during the run up the album drop. 

• Like 1