NINE Official Discussion

Russel Coight

24 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

i don't understand the strategy, though. the band isn't going to gain any new fans from this. and there is not a single person who didn't know that blink had a new album out that is going to run out and buy it after hearing this single performance.

My friend hit me up, and was like "Whoa, Blinks got something new out? I'm watching the game"  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

i don't understand the strategy, though. the band isn't going to gain any new fans from this. and there is not a single person who didn't know that blink had a new album out that is going to run out and buy it after hearing this single performance.

They might not buy a cd but stream something, I bet this song is going to be most popular in the long run, it has the appeal of fitting in maroon 5/chainsmokers playlists

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YANGGANG_2020 said:

I hardly even knew the new album was coming out and I frequent a fan forum every day.  It wasn't that loud.  Didn't see a lot of push for it anywhere else.

Yeah I can't say I've seen much of anything about it, but it's only been a few days.

The only outside world thing I saw was another singer songwriter I know posted this the day it came out - 

"New blink-182 album.

It's an okay album.

It isn't blink-182."

and thats literally all I've seen lol, I've had die hards I know in real life message me but apart from that zilch. but again, it's been like 4 days, so I can't expect to hear it everywhere. 

This album is definitely selling less and getting less exposure than any album before since Enema.

- Bad marketing strategy - poor first single choice, a mess of a tour which didn't promote anything
- Dropping a ball on hardcore fans and trying to become more relevant
- Failing to become more relevant and attract new people - if blink wanted to become something like maroon 5/imagine dragons they should've pushed it with more songs like IRWIHY. Now it's a strange album with modern pop songs, generic pop punk songs, remnants of +44 sound, linkin park-esque songs and so on. I don't know who they target with it, seems like everybody and nobody at the same moment.

California was a lot more focused in sound, promo was more thought-out. The album was preceded by a number 1 single on Alt chart, BIOMY only hit 11 spot.

I absolutely hate both post-Tom albums except for several songs but at least I was happy with the commercial success the guys had. I wish them all the best. Nine is even more commercial at times but it seems like it's flopping. Maybe it will make Mark reconsider the artistic course of the band.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Crab 3

55 minutes ago, alex_dept. said:

This album is definitely selling less and getting less exposure than any album before since Enema.

- Bad marketing strategy - poor first single choice, a mess of a tour which didn't promote anything
- Failing to become more relevant and attract new people - if blink wanted to become something like maroon 5/imagine dragons they should've pushed it with more songs like IRWIHY. Now it's a strange album with modern pop songs, generic pop punk songs, remnants of +44 sound, linkin park-esque songs and so on. I don't know who they target with it, seems like everybody and nobody at the same moment.

California was a lot more focused in sound, promo was more thought-out. The album was preceded by a number 1 single on Alt chart, BIOMY only hit 11 spot.

I absolutely hate both post-Tom albums except for several songs but at least I was happy with the commercial success the guys had. I wish them all the best. Nine is even more commercial at times but it seems like it's flopping. Maybe it will make Mark reconsider the artistic course of the band.

It came out four days ago. relax. 

• Like 3

On 9/20/2019 at 3:15 PM, Ghent said:

Have you heard the story with him? He used to be the ultimate critic, openly calling Matt "unprofessional" and saying Mark needed vocal lessons. Constantly ragging on the band. Then Mark unfollowed him on Instagram and he had a complete meltdown. Ever since then he has sucked their dick at every turn. It's quite odd.

@Italian Throwaway

What's the point of tagging me?

I wonder if they will tour this album. That will be interesting because they had this major tour that virtually had nothing to do with the album except a few songs being played.

I think this is a good album but I think it will turn a lot of casual fans off who will say "its not Blink". My cousin is a casual fan, he really liked California. He doesn't like NINE. Main complaint; it doesn't sound like Blink.

3 hours ago, alex_dept. said:

It's 3rd in the mid week chart in the UK, which isn't bad.

10 minutes ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

I wonder if they will tour this album. That will be interesting because they had this major tour that virtually had nothing to do with the album except a few songs being played.

I think this is a good album but I think it will turn a lot of casual fans off who will say "its not Blink". My cousin is a casual fan, he really liked California. He doesn't like NINE. Main complaint; it doesn't sound like Blink.

Mark has already said they will do a tour for NINE.

22 minutes ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

Yeah it was super dumb to tour this summer and have the tour end the day the album comes out. At this point I think a fall tour is unlikely.