NINE Official Discussion

Russel Coight

21 minutes ago, YANGGANG_2020 said:

Butch Vig is Butch Vig. He did some crazy things with Kurt Cobain's voice & guitar, but it wasn't what he wanted.

This. All someone needs to do is watch the making of nevermind doco on YouTube and you can butch vig knows exactly what he’s doing.

5 hours ago, daveyjones said:

i'd vote for production by bill, recorded at the blasting room, with final mixing by tom lord-alge.

dunno about mastering.... what place is solid in the genre right now?

Blasting Room themselves do great mastering.

• Like 1

Just now, daveyjones said:

the latest descendents album sounded great, and it was done there. not brickwalled to shit like bad religion's more recent albums.

Exactly

Also, for those questioning Vig.... Aside from Nevermind, which sounds great, he did Foo Fighters' "Wasting Light" and "21st Century Breakdown" by Green Day lately. But also produced albums like "Chase This Light" by Jimmy Eat World. I like the way he worked on those records.

And yeah, he commented on the Nevermind documentary that Kurt didn't like the idea of double tracking his voice? I don't remember well, but in the end, he accepted that. Anyways, I think Vig would do wonders to blink's sound.

Anyways, any of the ones I said would do much better than Feldmann for blink's sound, IMO.

• Like 1

Well, they are still a huge name so no surprise. I like nine a lot but as mentioned in the other thread production is sub par. I am unfamiliar with feldmann's production values outside blink but certainly not a fan from what I hear on cali and nine.

Blink can do with someone to challenge and push them to stand out, not go with the flow of what is modern today. Up

Am I the only one that actually likes the production on this album? Only thing I don't like is some of the autotuned vocals. It's obvious at times, especially on the second verse of On Some Emo Shit. The drums sound more real to me outside of the programmed electronic drums, but like Ry-Bread said, that was an artistic choice. But the actual real drum kits sound like real drums again to me. It's lights above the production of California IMO. The drums on California sound like they're from a drum trigger program like Slate or something.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Ghost said:

And yeah, he commented on the Nevermind documentary that Kurt didn't like the idea of double tracking his voice? I don't remember well, but in the end, he accepted that.

the story i read is that vig told him the beatles did it. along with doubling the guitars. and kurt thought mccartney and lennon were geniuses, so he agreed to do it.

3 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Am I the only one that actually likes the production on this album? Only thing I don't like is some of the autotuned vocals. It's obvious at times, especially on the second verse of On Some Emo Shit. The drums sound more real to me outside of the programmed electronic drums, but like Ry-Bread said, that was an artistic choice. But the actual real drum kits sound like real drums again to me. It's lights above the production of California IMO. The drums on California sound like they're from a drum trigger program like Slate or something.

I like the production a lot more than cali. Hasmd the songs only been as good. 

God I keep wanting to listen to Cali so that I can do a proper comparison and I can’t even bring myself to do it, NINE is still too good to listen to anything else.

I love this line from First Time:

Think back to the time you were all alone
One day you'll look back and say "Where's it all gone?"

• Like 2

Going to the give the album a little break for a week or so. Been basically the only thing I’ve been listening too since it released and don’t want it getting stale. 
Should be a good indicator of how well the album will last for me in the long run.

• Like 1