NINE Official Discussion

Russel Coight

I can't figure out what my favourite awkward moment was

The fact that the interviewer seemed to introduce Darkside as All The Small Things
The ridiculous strumming in the Darkside chorus
Mark silencing the interviewer from translating so he could add to his answer
The interviewer questioning their decision to tour Enema of the State right before dropping a brand new album
The first two chords of All the Small Things sounding out of tune

on a positive note - Mark and Matt sound nice together on the chorus of All the Small Things

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Darkside acoustic!!! Full interview/2 song performance today in France:

wow that was fucking shitty. yea matt, just do the chorus x1.5 faster and at a different chord change tempo than the rest of the song.

also, when you strip down a track that over-relies on production (like this and the rest of nine) it reveals how weak the actual songwriting is.

5 hours ago, yodda said:

I can't figure out what my favourite awkward moment was

The fact that the interviewer seemed to introduce Darkside as All The Small Things
The ridiculous strumming in the Darkside chorus
Mark silencing the interviewer from translating so he could add to his answer
The interviewer questioning their decision to tour Enema of the State right before dropping a brand new album
The first two chords of All the Small Things sounding out of tune

on a positive note - Mark and Matt sound nice together on the chorus of All the Small Things

I thought the moment when Matt went spastic in the bridge of ATST for whoever to adjust his monitors was funny.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, daveyjones said:

wow that was fucking shitty. yea matt, just do the chorus x1.5 faster and at a different chord change tempo than the rest of the song.

also, when you strip down a track that over-relies on production (like this and the rest of nine) it reveals how weak the actual songwriting is.

Exactly. If you add 0 interest on arrange songs to play them acoustic, you have the full "sounding-like-a-highschool-noob"  combo.

• Like 1

I love watching bands do 'acoustic' sets when they haven't a fucking clue how to perform the songs acoustically, Seriously Darkside is just fucking C#m and A for most of it, with an E and B thrown in during the chorus, it's such a simple song, use full normal standard acoustic chords and actually choose a proper strumming pattern and it'll sound like a million bucks in comparison, it's not rocket science. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Kay said:

I love watching bands do 'acoustic' sets when they haven't a fucking clue how to perform the songs acoustically, Seriously Darkside is just fucking C#m and A for most of it, with an E and B thrown in during the chorus, it's such a simple song, use full normal standard acoustic chords and actually choose a proper strumming pattern and it'll sound like a million bucks in comparison, it's not rocket science. 

especially during the end chorus he should have used full chords - when it's building in dynamics
also what's with how harsh he's picking during the pre-chorus?

Using only power chords to perform acoustic songs is lazy as fuck. You may be use one guitar doing power chords to kinf of accentuate rhythm, but as a main backing guitar... well, it's a NOPE. Uses to sound void.

It's weird because Matt, in some AK3 acoustic renditions uses to play more things than only power chords, and ends up filling a little bit better those songs compared to what he did in Darkside. But truth be told too: there are lots of AK3 acoustic performances in which Matt don't play anything, Dan and Derek are the ones who carry on the songs using two guitars.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Using only power chords to perform acoustic songs is lazy as fuck. You may be use one guitar doing power chords to kinf of accentuate rhythm, but as a main backing guitar... well, it's a NOPE. Uses to sound void.

It's weird because Matt, in some AK3 acoustic renditions uses to play more things than only power chords, and ends up filling a little bit better those songs compared to what he did in Darkside. But truth be told too: there are lots of AK3 acoustic performances in which Matt don't play anything, Dan and Derek are the ones who carry on the songs using two guitars.

To be fair as well some of the album acoustic songs don't have much to them like Blue In The Face and Krystalline. 

2 hours ago, Kay said:

To be fair as well some of the album acoustic songs don't have much to them like Blue In The Face and Krystalline. 

Yeah that's why I don't like a lot of songs acoustically. I do like Krystalline but that song is largely helped with all the production elements and the synths. Acoustic songs are very samey for me and most songs are structured with production elements more than a stripped down element like the smiley face album was (aside from Violence). Although, I don't think that means weak songwriting like some would. Songs like Violence and FTG would make terrible acoustic songs IMO unless structured and played very differently like what Tom did with the AVA acoustic EP.

To me, it just means it's a shit song acoustically but a good song when it's more produced. As much as I love Darkside it's a very generic song, so that would need to be played a little bit differently. It has the backbones to be a decent acoustic song if played by more than power chords. Baby Come On and Weatherman made great acoustic songs. I'm Sure Darkside could be the same if Skiba didn't play it the way he did on that interview.

4 hours ago, Kay said:

True, they are supposed to be proper musicians

Really easy to put a capo on and play some nice sounding chords with open strings or rich alternative chords with an open string and a dissonant note half step down to create something interesting and dramatic.

I can not believe they play everything based on power chords. Thats not how you play the acoustic guitar.

It blows my mind cause i could just pick up any acoustic guitar and have that song sounding awesome in 2 minutes. Skiba absolutely sucks as a live musician

2 minutes ago, jordidanen95 said:

True, they are supposed to be proper musicians

Really easy to put a capo on and play some nice sounding chords with open strings or rich alternative chords with an open string and a dissonant note half step down to create something interesting and dramatic.

I can not believe they play everything based on power chords. Thats not how you play the acoustic guitar.

It blows my mind cause i could just pick up any acoustic guitar and have that song sounding awesome in 2 minutes. Skiba absolutely sucks as a live musician

There's nothing wrong with power chords on an acoustic guitar.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Speedo said:

There's nothing wrong with power chords on an acoustic guitar.

Nothing wrong with it, no, but it definitely makes it fucking boring to listen to if you do nothing with it. 

• Like 2

Just now, Kay said:

Nothing wrong with it, no, but it definitely makes it fucking boring to listen to if you do nothing with it. 

Just for this I'm writing an entire acoustic album all played in power chords and I'm dedicating it to you. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Speedo said:

Just for this I'm writing an entire acoustic album all played in power chords and I'm dedicating it to you. 

Not sure what that'll achieve, I didn't say it wasn't doable, just that it isn't particularly interesting lol