NINE Official Discussion

Russel Coight

Woof. That was rough. I got super uncomfortable during Darkside when Mark started yelling his verse, he was on a completely different wave length than Matt during the performance. It’s like they don’t even practice, at all. 

especially when you compare it to recent ava acoustic performances, this looks like two high schoolers during their lunch talent show.

also, mark really does look like a middle aged lesbian now. Aging is not doing this dude any favors, that or he should give up trying to look like a hipster.

• Like 2

Are we certain Matt knows how to play real chords? actually a serious question coming from someone who isn't overly familiar with all of Alkaline Trios work. 

As people have said, it's such a lazy performance, do we really need acoustic bass for this? I personally see no point for acoustic bass in songs really unless there are some drums as well, surely two guitars with some real chords and a few cool lead licks thrown in would of sounded much better. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Are we certain Matt knows how to play real chords? actually a serious question coming from someone who isn't overly familiar with all of Alkaline Trios work. 

As people have said, it's such a lazy performance, do we really need acoustic bass for this? I personally see no point for acoustic bass in songs really unless there are some drums as well, surely two guitars with some real chords and a few cool lead licks thrown in would of sounded much better. 

I think most of the problem is Matt speeds up the chorus for no fucking reason. 

12 minutes ago, jordidanen95 said:

Fuck

i just realized there is a song out there that sounds better with power chords on acoustic

Wheatus - Teenage Dirtbag

You cant play that intro /verse with nice sounding odd chords. It fucking has to be power chords

I thought that was played using regular chords. 

Just now, ...Dan... said:

Yeah.

Well, as I said, when things got tricky, Matt used to rely on Derek and Dan for the guitar work on acoustic performance, but he's able to do it better than he did on Darkside, for sure. Derek is a much better performer in that way, I think. There is a "I Was A Prayer" video acoustic rendition live in some radio (time ago) which can illustrate this. But there are other examples. There is another acoustic live performance of "Time To Waste" out there in which Derek provides pretty decent backing guitar using chords and other little details. Dan also on the other guitar. AK3 has plenty of acoustic stuff out there, even live, to see how he, and the rest of the band, performs in that environment.

That's what I was saying. Acoustic bass here is no needed at all. They could have arranged the song using two guitars. One doing more 'open' stuff (chords, for example), and the other one just accentuation the rhythm (playing power chords).

I never even noticed the "Anthem 2" intro in Darkside pre-chorus until this acoustic rendition, and I'll be damned - I listened to the real version this morning and it's there, never to be unheard again.

Agree with @Speedo the only super weird part was speeding up the chorus, otherwise whatevs. We'll see if they clean it up a bit for these 2 acoustic Banquet shows coming up. AVA's acoustic stuff sounds way better because Ilan plays guitar, and is miles ahead of Tom/Skiba.

Also, kinda surprised they are riding Darkside this long? I guess it's "the hit" from NINE? They ditched BIOMY/GD/IRWIHY for it at most of the later EOTS20 shows.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ry-Bread said:

I never even noticed the "Anthem 2" intro in Darkside pre-chorus until this acoustic rendition, and I'll be damned - I listened to the real version this morning and it's there, never to be unheard again.

Agree with @Speedo the only super weird part was speeding up the chorus, otherwise whatevs. We'll see if they clean it up a bit for these 2 acoustic Banquet shows coming up. AVA's acoustic stuff sounds way better because Ilan plays guitar, and is miles ahead of Tom/Skiba.

Also, kinda surprised they are riding Darkside this long? I guess it's "the hit" from NINE? They ditched BIOMY/GD/IRWIHY for it at most of the later EOTS20 shows.

Well it's the only single with a proper video so I'm not shocked, its probably the only proper single. (I know Gen D had a video but lets be honest that doesn't count) 

• Like 1

It's a bit of a Catch 22 for me with the Nine stuff being played live.

I mean they should really be playing quite a bit off it because it's their latest release but because the album is so heavily produced/overproduced at points it makes it pretty difficult for those songs to have the same real impact live, even with a backing track doing some of the legwork at points.

I think The First Time and Pin the Grenade could work quite well but they seem to have no interest in playing them so far. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Yeah.

Well, as I said, when things got tricky, Matt used to rely on Derek and Dan for the guitar work on acoustic performance, but he's able to do it better than he did on Darkside, for sure. Derek is a much better performer in that way, I think. There is a "I Was A Prayer" video acoustic rendition live in some radio (time ago) which can illustrate this. But there are other examples. There is another acoustic live performance of "Time To Waste" out there in which Derek provides pretty decent backing guitar using chords and other little details. Dan also on the other guitar. AK3 has plenty of acoustic stuff out there, even live, to see how he, and the rest of the band, performs in that environment.

That's what I was saying. Acoustic bass here is no needed at all. They could have arranged the song using two guitars. One doing more 'open' stuff (chords, for example), and the other one just accentuation the rhythm (playing power chords).

Examples I said:

This is pretty good, TBF:

Aaaaaand pay attention to the arrangements here, not too exhuberant, but enough to give some body to the song. Originally on electric guitar it all was power chords and octaves. Not the best vocal performance by Matt, thouth:

Oh, this is a good example on how to use two guitars as some have pointed out. Acoustic performance with drums. One guitar on regular chords, and Matt doing some little licks and power chords to kind of accentuate rhythm.

I'm actually surprised so many people cares about power chords played on an acoustic. Isn't that just real punk and not giving a shit? The only song in blinks catalog I recall having an acoustic guitar playing open chords is Boxing Day. Hell, What Went Wrong? is a beautiful piece (little cheesy also yes) and is played solely with power chords. I'd say there are alot of other things in that video that disappoints me more than them playing powerchords. Darkside chorus was such a huge letdown, because the verses actually sound really good.

15 minutes ago, mikela said:

I'm actually surprised so many people cares about power chords played on an acoustic. Isn't that just real punk and not giving a shit? The only song in blinks catalog I recall having an acoustic guitar playing open chords is Boxing Day. Hell, What Went Wrong? is a beautiful piece (little cheesy also yes) and is played solely with power chords. I'd say there are alot of other things in that video that disappoints me more than them playing powerchords. Darkside chorus was such a huge letdown, because the verses actually sound really good.

When You Fucked Grandpa is finger picked around full chords (D, G, A for specifics) and is ironically one of the nicest guitar pieces Tom's ever done haha

I only care because I don't see why they bothered. go on the radio, have the single played on the air, do an interview. They didn't rehearse (clearly) and it sounds like utter wank so what's the point? 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mikela said:

Nah, I agree. Acoustic power chords, per se, are not the problem here.

Is just the feel of laziness and evident lack of effort and rehearsal to do that performance.

Yeah that is true and clearly they haven't rehearsed it at all. All Im saying is that power chords are pretty common for blink to do acoustically and since Skiba joined they have done a lot of those. In I Miss You he even plays octave chords with even less action going on and I dont remember people talking about that.