NINE Official Discussion

Russel Coight

Nine is a damn good album. Now that I look back on California, I'm really starting to dislike California. Nine completely blows it out of the water. I also think it's better than Neighborhoods. Outside of +44, it's the best blink album since smiley face IMO.

• Like 4

So.....

Sadly I am going to have to permanently retire this album. Like never listen to it again. Its unfortunate because its a great album....but I  associate this album with my breakup of my Ex. I've never had such an association with any album. Its so ingrained right now its scary.

Part of letting go of my Ex will be letting go of this album. I am enjoying the hell out of it as much as I can, the good times, the bad, but its all my ex, ex, ex. Listening to it is as bad and just looking at old pics of us or lurking her facebook.

I think by this weekend or next, that will be it and I will probably never be able to revist it either even years from now, because it will bring me right back.

• Sad 7

I think you gotta give credit to the band though as songwriters in that regard. People love to throw shit at Mark for being in his 40’s, happily married but writing songs about breakups and whatever but here’s Oliver relating so much to what’s being sung he’s gotta drop the album completely.

They are writing as story tellers now as opposed to writing about their own current issues and there is a absolutely nothing wrong with that.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

So.....

Sadly I am going to have to permanently retire this album. Like never listen to it again. Its unfortunate because its a great album....but I  associate this album with my breakup of my Ex. I've never had such an association with any album. Its so ingrained right now its scary.

Part of letting go of my Ex will be letting go of this album. I am enjoying the hell out of it as much as I can, the good times, the bad, but its all my ex, ex, ex. Listening to it is as bad and just looking at old pics of us or lurking her facebook.

I think by this weekend or next, that will be it and I will probably never be able to revist it either even years from now, because it will bring me right back.

Feel free not to respond if you don’t wanna talk about it, but are there specific parts of the album that hit you hardest? Or is it just the album as a whole?

Anyway, do what you need to do to feel better.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Feel free not to respond if you don’t wanna talk about it, but are there specific parts of the album that hit you hardest? Or is it just the album as a whole?

Anyway, do what you need to do to feel better.

Its the album as a whole but some songs are harder than others.

Black Rain is really difficult, both lyrics and just how horribly sad it is. "Only so much bad luck, a person can take..." Yep.

No Heart to speak of is probably the most emotional one for me overall. Just so sad especially the part where its like "We'll both just fade away"....like I am never going to hear from her again.

Even a more upbeat song like Pin the granade "If you don't love me, lie to my face". Its like  wow, I get it.

Even the middle section of " I really wish I hated you"........"I can see that your giving up on me. I numb the pain but it never stops....."

Darkside is even difficult.......

I could go on and on. Its just so so brutal. Its a great album.....but I can't separate the two at all. Just so much sadness with it. I've never had an album do this to me. I feel so emo. LOL

1 hour ago, Russel Coight said:

I think you gotta give credit to the band though as songwriters in that regard. People love to throw shit at Mark for being in his 40’s, happily married but writing songs about breakups and whatever but here’s Oliver relating so much to what’s being sung he’s gotta drop the album completely.

They are writing as story tellers now as opposed to writing about their own current issues and there is a absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I actually think Matt could be writing a lot of those lyrics from the heart. Didn't he have a divorce and another GF that broke up with him?  It seems pretty sincere to me. Most evident on the song Heaven, written about the shootings, as soon as Matt's part starts its more breakup lyrics.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

I actually think Matt could be writing a lot of those lyrics from the heart. Didn't he have a divorce and another GF that broke up with him?  It seems pretty sincere to me. Most evident on the song Heaven, written about the shootings, as soon as Matt's part starts its more breakup lyrics.

Yeah quite possibly. I do know Matt writes a lot lyrics based on books he’s read etc but I’m sure there are a lot of lyrics on this album from his personal experiences. But yeah those same people that shit on mark also say Matt doesn’t contribute to the songwriting which they’re obviously wrong about.

I think Matt did a lot of his “healing” from his divorce when he wrote ‘My Shame Is True’. That was Matts breakup album and it definitely shows. Some of the songs on that album are heart wrenching.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Dang, just makes me realize how little I’ve paid attention to the lyrics on NINE...

I mean, the album is very moody, but most of them are simple and easy to interpret at the spot.

There hasn’t been much surprises from Mark and Matt (and whoever) since they started writing together. I miss the standout lines and clever metaphors that both of them use to write. Matt probably has something on ITTC? but I haven’t listened to it in a while.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jlx9 said:

I mean, the album is very moody, but most of them are simple and easy to interpret at the spot.

There hasn’t been much surprises from Mark and Matt (and whoever) since they started writing together. I miss the standout lines and clever metaphors that both of them use to write. Matt probably has something on ITTC? but I haven’t listened to it in a while.

Yeah, it still isn't perfect lyrically. But the lyrics seemed to be a bit more focused on than California. Although, California does have great lyrics in it's darker songs like 6/8, Long Lost Feeling, Last Train Home and San Diego.

Yeah @Donald Trump's Bulge you should def give "My Shame Is True" a listen if, you may gain some more respect for Skiba. 

This song (bridge in particular) gives me chills every time:

6 hours ago, jlx9 said:

Matt probably has something on ITTC? but I haven’t listened to it in a while.

Had the itch to listen to a few songs from ITTC after seeing this comment and my god that is such a good album. I Can't Believe, Goodbye Fire Island, and Throw Me To The Lions are such bangers.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Yeah @Donald Trump's Bulge you should def give "My Shame Is True" a listen if, you may gain some more respect for Skiba. 

Had the itch to listen to a few songs from ITTC after seeing this comment and my god that is such a good album. I Can't Believe, Goodbye Fire Island, and Throw Me To The Lions are such bangers.

Yeah, My Shame Is True is heavily influenced by his divorce. "Until Death Do Us Part" is fucking heart breaking tbh, it's not a fan loved one but goddamn does it kick you in the nuts. 

20 hours ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

So.....

Man, that hurts and sucks, but it's understandable. Lyrics on this record are intense in some parts. Yeah, best option is to give it space and time, and sooner than you think a song from it will pop up randomly and you'll revisit it without any problem. It happened to me with "Even If It Kills Me". I was about to break the relationship wih my (then) girlfriend when that record came oyut, so for a long time it reminded me a lot to those previous days when everything torn apart.

Now it's an album I love to listen to. Weird, but true. Once you'll find peace in this, you'll overcome the shit and will be able to listen to it again.

Also, here's another one suggesting you "My Shame Is True". Is not my favourite album by AK3 but... well, just what Kay said.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Yeah ‘kiss you to death’ is the song I was thinking about when posting about the album yesterday.

”I miss taking out the trash, I miss your face, I miss your cat, I miss your smile”

Just those super basic things like taking out the trash at their place you miss when a relationship ends. Matt makes you feel that so well. This album came out around the same time my ex and I broke up so I was just feeling everything.

I remember just talking to a mate one day and just mentioning how much I liked ‘until death do us part’ and all he said was “you’ve been Thinking about your ex a lot huh?” And I just felt sprung haha.

• Haha 1

As simple and lyrically dodge as it is, one of my go to albums for break ups is the BCR record. it's full of short lyrical songs that get to the point of it like And I, Sorrow, Cat Like Thief. like the whole album has obviously more than just break up songs but the relationship-ish ones kinda carry that theme. There's a shit load of good break up songs even from terrible bands. when I was a teenager and one particular girl absolutely wrecked me I listened to this absolutely stupid Billy Talent song literally called "The Ex" on repeat seven bajillion times. I can't listen to it these days because it honestly makes me laugh but back then I was like "FUCK YOU" lol