NINE Official Discussion

Russel Coight

I'm still listening to the album at least once or twice a week. Well, a playlist version of it. Took out the songs that I felt didn't suit the album and added a few California songs.

1. The First Time

2. Heaven

3. I Really Wish I Hated You

4. Los Angeles

5. Black Rain

6. Generational Divide

7. No Heart to Speak Of

8. Ransom

9. Darkside

10. On Some Emo Shit

11. Bottom of the Ocean

12. Long Lost Feeling This

13. Hungover You

14. San Diego

15. Remember to Forget Me

i had a long drive this past week and listened to all the albums i've gotten from 2019 so far. truck, fantastic sound system, etc.

it's an embarrassment of riches, right? new bad religion, new strung out, new lagwagon, new good riddance, new teenage bottlerocket, new much the same, new menzingers, new get up kids, new jimmy eat world, new PUP, new microwave, new face to face live album...

and then there's nine. i have to say, it was at the bottom of the entire list. out of every 2019 album so far. even below the two weezer albums.

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

42 minutes ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

People who list songs like, Darkside, IRWIHY, as top songs, haven't really listened to the album and learned to appreciate the great songs. No doubt those songs are good, but wrong choices for singles.

i still can't believe The First Time didn't become a single. I honestly think that would of made a great single choice.

• Like 3

Alright, I've got my official Nine tracklisting. I said before there isn't any real middle ground with this album. I either love the song or I hate it. I have completely cut out the songs I hate, here's my tracklist for this album:

1. The First Time
2. Happy Days
3. Heaven
4. Darkside
5. Generational Divide
6. Run Away
7. Pin the Grenade
8. No Heart to Speak Of
9. Ransom
10. Hungover You

• Like 1

23 hours ago, daveyjones said:

i had a long drive this past week and listened to all the albums i've gotten from 2019 so far. truck, fantastic sound system, etc.

it's an embarrassment of riches, right? new bad religion, new strung out, new lagwagon, new good riddance, new teenage bottlerocket, new much the same, new menzingers, new get up kids, new jimmy eat world, new PUP, new microwave, new face to face live album...

and then there's nine. i have to say, it was at the bottom of the entire list. out of every 2019 album so far. even below the two weezer albums.

You like Teenage Bottlerocket? Man, c'mon, they sold out after Another Way.

Just kidding. Saw them at the riotfest aftershow. Best show of the weekend besides Against Me playing Reinventing Axl Rose/Transgender Dysphoria Blues back to back. I can't wait til Bottlerocket comes back and Ray liked my instagram post recapping riotfest that mentioned their set.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I don't know how much of the song Mark actually wrote but the over-analyzing blink-182 hyperfan in me always thought The Rest of My Life was about the blink breakup.

Just like every other song Mark and Tom have written since 2003 lol.

My gut reaction is that Mark wrote this portion of the song:

This is my all time low
Somehow it feels so familiar
Somehow it seems so familiar
I feel like letting go
And every second that goes by
I'm screaming out for a second try

When you listen to how it's sung, it sounds like Mark could totally sing it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

Anyone hear the intro guitar riff from the The Rest Of My Life by Less than Jake in the Blame It On My Youth verses riff?

Coincidentally, Mark helped write some of the lyrics for this Less than Jake song. 

I love this LTJ song, but no I do not hear any similarities 

• Like 1

Really interesting interview about NINE, because there is some talk about "No Heart To Speak Of", which is absolutely amazing.

Matt, were you behind the song “No Heart To Speak Of”?

Matt: Yes.

The work you did with your voice is really impressive. How did you push yourself to reach this result? One can tell it comes from the heart, but we were wondering if it comes from a personal experience?

Matt: Oh thank you! It’s something I don’t get to do very often, to sing in that range. Doing all the takes to record the song, I couldn’t talk for some days. There is right way to do that. Like in “California” there are a couple songs where I’m screaming at the top of my register and in the studio I blew my voice doing it. Live, I hold back because I have a show the next day. The emotion or the thing that the song is about is something I don’t really want to talk about. It’s not even about me. I remember singing that song and needing couple of minutes aside from the physical aspect of singing. I was exhausted by the singing and the emotion of it.

https://www.rockurlife.net/interviews-english/blink-182-15-10-19-2/

• Like 3
  • Love 3