NINE Official Discussion

Russel Coight

4 minutes ago, jlx9 said:

What a great interview that gave some insight into the new album and actually acknowledged the other member of the band. 

Yes, I absolutely agree. Matt has a lot to say in this interview because he was asked the right questions. I want to learn more about songs like The First Time, Run Away, On Some Emo Shit etc. and in one interview Mark mentioned that there are some unreleased songs besides Out Of My Head.

• Like 2

Wow that is an amazing interview!!! Very interesting, again it’s obvious Mark totally keeps up with all the comments lol. 

Wonder what NHTSO is about that Matt isn’t even comfortable talking about it? With the talk about his voice, that scares me into thinking they won’t play it live ever.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lost said:

Really interesting interview about NINE, because there is some talk about "No Heart To Speak Of", which is absolutely amazing.

Matt, were you behind the song “No Heart To Speak Of”?

Matt: Yes.

The work you did with your voice is really impressive. How did you push yourself to reach this result? One can tell it comes from the heart, but we were wondering if it comes from a personal experience?

Matt: Oh thank you! It’s something I don’t get to do very often, to sing in that range. Doing all the takes to record the song, I couldn’t talk for some days. There is right way to do that. Like in “California” there are a couple songs where I’m screaming at the top of my register and in the studio I blew my voice doing it. Live, I hold back because I have a show the next day. The emotion or the thing that the song is about is something I don’t really want to talk about. It’s not even about me. I remember singing that song and needing couple of minutes aside from the physical aspect of singing. I was exhausted by the singing and the emotion of it.

https://www.rockurlife.net/interviews-english/blink-182-15-10-19-2/

Great interview. Matt is the man. Love this album more every day

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Just seen that click track fuck up. Don't know why they can't just play without click tracks. Always found it weird how they just all of a sudden started using click tracks as soon as they got back together again in 2009.

I've never been a fan of click tracks, but when you use additional samples you have to. So just play as a trio without click track or hire some additional musicians? Anyway, for me studio recordings are much more important than live shows.

1 hour ago, lost said:

I've never been a fan of click tracks, but when you use additional samples you have to. So just play as a trio without click track or hire some additional musicians? Anyway, for me studio recordings are much more important than live shows.

I dunno, I'd rather they just improvise on the additional sample parts or the more electronic parts. It's cool having all that electronic and synth stuff in the studio, but they should just ignore those parts live and improvise over them. The outro of Down never needed pianos live back in 03-04 like the actual studio song did. All Tom did was play similar notes and improvise that piano part but on a guitar instead.

He'd still improvise when they brought click tracks in back in 2009 but it was never the same as it was without click tracks.

• Like 1

the problem is that none of these songs work as a three piece without samples.... without all the bells and whistles, these songs are nothing

ava is also guilty for relying on a lot of sample tracks.... 

if a song is great, it works with just an acoustic and vocals, the acoustic performances of the new material showed that they dont work in that setting... I'd bet money on the fact that none of the members in current blink knows how to play every recorded part on nine....

• Like 2

These videos are proof that it can work with just 3 guys without loops, clicks, synths and stuff like that. The smiley face album is just like Nine in the sense there's loads of background shit going on. Violence & Down are great examples. Easy Target probably has the most overproduced outro I've ever heard in a blink song, but Tom makes it work and it sounds damn good. All of This sounds good too. Although, I can admit Violence has always been a pretty poor song live mainly due to the verses, which are more electronic/drum & bass sounding than the rest of the song. Asthenia kinda sucked in that video as well but that's more due to blink just playing shit more than the actual song IMO.

The Cure's A Letter to Elise is full of instruments all playing at once. I swear they have 5-6 musicians on the stage for that song, but blink makes it work with just 3. It's not just the Skiba era that does it cause this click track stuff started with AVA also. Tom wanted to make the sound more full and he took it to blink when they reformed in 2009. Thing is blink is completely different to AVA, so I feel blink can make it work without loops, click tracks, effects and backing musicians.

As great as Nine is (I fucking love the album), it'd help if they'd actually write songs in lower keys to suit their voices more. Skiba's voice is completely shot in some songs, especially on Darkside. Without click tracks, Skiba probably wouldn't make his notes last longer with his voice either, because blink would probably play faster. Blink would sound more trashy in a good and energetic way like the 03-04 era. Skiba probably would be forced to improvise a bit more, much like Tom did on the outros of Down & Easy Target. I've always felt click tracks weren't needed. I just feel like the music is a bit more restraint. To me, click tracks make it more obvious that Mark & Skiba aren't the best musicians. Same goes for blink with Tom from the 09-14 period, but at least Tom would still improvise on the guitar and keep thinks kinda fresh to an extent.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

These videos are proof that it can work with just 3 guys without loops, clicks, synths and stuff like that. The smiley face album is just like Nine in the sense there's loads of background shit going on. Violence & Down are great examples. Easy Target probably has the most overproduced outro I've ever heard in a blink song, but Tom makes it work and it sounds damn good. All of This sounds good too. Although, I can admit Violence has always been a pretty poor song live mainly due to the verses, which are more electronic/drum & bass sounding than the rest of the song. Asthenia kinda sucked in that video as well but that's more due to blink just playing shit more than the actual song IMO.

The Cure's A Letter to Elise is full of instruments all playing at once. I swear they have 5-6 musicians on the stage for that song, but blink makes it work with just 3. It's not just the Skiba era that does it cause this click track stuff started with AVA also. Tom wanted to make the sound more full and he took it to blink when they reformed in 2009. Thing is blink is completely different to AVA, so I feel blink can make it work without loops, click tracks, effects and backing musicians.

As great as Nine is (I fucking love the album), it'd help if they'd actually write songs in lower keys to suit their voices more. Skiba's voice is completely shot in some songs, especially on Darkside. Without click tracks, Skiba probably wouldn't make his notes last longer with his voice either, because blink would probably play faster. Blink would sound more trashy in a good and energetic way like the 03-04 era. Skiba probably would be forced to improvise a bit more, much like Tom did on the outros of Down & Easy Target. I've always felt click tracks weren't needed. I just feel like the music is a bit more restraint. To me, click tracks make it more obvious that Mark & Skiba aren't the best musicians. Same goes for blink with Tom from the 09-14 period, but at least Tom would still improvise on the guitar and keep thinks kinda fresh to an extent.

Well said! They've let the production elements take over the "dudes in a band" elements, whether it's onstage or in the studio.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 5:22 PM, Russel Coight said:

Absolute legend. Amazing songwriter.

Last few days ive dug back into Skiba solo albums, and wow theres some great songs in there. For those that arent familiar, i would say his solo stuff sounds inbetween Blink and A3. Like if blink and A3 are a mile apart, then his solo stuff sits at the 0.5mile marker.

The jems i would suggest checking out specifically are;

- She Wolf, Krazy, Way Back When, Never Believe, Vienna (from the Kuts album)

- Voices, All Fall Down, Falling Like Rain (from Babylon album)

- Dead End Girl, True Hate (from Patent Pending album)

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 12:44 AM, lost said:

Really interesting interview about NINE, because there is some talk about "No Heart To Speak Of", which is absolutely amazing.

https://www.rockurlife.net/interviews-english/blink-182-15-10-19-2/

What a great interview. So Matt was behind No Heart To Speak Of and Darkside. Two great songs. NHTSO is my favorite song on the record. Yeah, I'd like him to stick around for a while.

• Like 3
  • Love 1