NINE Official Discussion

Russel Coight

• 2 weeks later...

Just listened to the album in the first time all the way few in a few weeks, and wow, I'm really impressed with how solid this album is at the end of the day.  It isn't their best album, but fuck, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I like it more than I do Neighborhoods, and I'm a man that enjoys his Neighborhoods, even if it does have a few glaring weak points.

• Like 3

Dude I haven't listened to Nine is so long I can't even keep them on my playlists and pretend, they get in the way of actual good songs.  I will say I enjoyed Nine more on first listens than California forsure but even the highlights like First Time and Heaven don't hold a candle to Neighborhoods.  There's just not purpose behind any of it.  Same with California, there's just nothing to it.  Neighborhoods was a mess but it felt like actual songs were being written.

• Like 7
  • Crab 1

2 hours ago, Neckbeard_Jan said:

Dude I haven't listened to Nine is so long I can't even keep them on my playlists and pretend, they get in the way of actual good songs.  I will say I enjoyed Nine more on first listens than California forsure but even the highlights like First Time and Heaven don't hold a candle to Neighborhoods.  There's just not purpose behind any of it.  Same with California, there's just nothing to it.  Neighborhoods was a mess but it felt like actual songs were being written.

there definitely felt like more passion behind it and more of a desire to pick up where they’d left off. the past five years feel like zombie blink

• Like 3

3 hours ago, boxelder said:

there definitely felt like more passion behind it and more of a desire to pick up where they’d left off. the past five years feel like zombie blink

Yeah that's the one thing I was going to add, Mark is very smart but very shallow with music and it shows with the current state of the band.  They really just need the trifecta to have any sort of pulse.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Ditching the best contributor to the last album will somehow make a better album.

18792-AEE-766-F-471-E-B7-F2-785-D5-BEADE

You make literally zero sense 

First of all, your claims about Skiba being the best contributor to NINE is highly disputable. Chances are he contributed even less than all the hired guns. And travis outshines him anyways 

secondly...once again...go look up the word “context” and then apply your new knowledge to the conversation that was going on when I made my comment. Which was sarcastic in nature anyways 

Chances are he contributed more than anyone. Nobody knows how much each person did so we can only judge based on the actual record, in which Skiba shined. Just look through this thread and you’ll see people’s opinion on him change instantly once hearing this record.

My opinion on blink Skiba was at its highest when he was just filling in at shows..

It dropped with California and more with Deluxe and everything regarding blink at that time.

I think the #justiceforMike incident, teleprompter kareoke, and supporting rapists was probably the all time low for me.  Nine was better but still pretty shallow.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Chances are he contributed more than anyone. Nobody knows how much each person did so we can only judge based on the actual record, in which Skiba shined. Just look through this thread and you’ll see people’s opinion on him change instantly once hearing this record.

How do you come to the conclusion that “chances are he contributed more than anyone”? That seems like a biased and unfounded statement if I ever did see one.

the thing is though, people were talking about what needs to happen before we got a great album from blink again (drop Feldman, stop hiring outside writers, etc)...so I made my remark. Last I knew we haven’t gotten a great album with Skiba yet. If he was capable of helping them achieve greatness it would have happened by now despite Feldman and outside writers. But you try to flame me and that point all because you thought Skiba was the best contributor to their latest mediocre release?? 

2 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

How do you come to the conclusion that “chances are he contributed more than anyone”? That seems like a biased and unfounded statement if I ever did see one.

the thing is though, people were talking about what needs to happen before we got a great album from blink again (drop Feldman, stop hiring outside writers, etc)...so I made my remark. Last I knew we haven’t gotten a great album with Skiba yet. If he was capable of helping them achieve greatness it would have happened by now despite Feldman and outside writers. But you try to flame me and that point all because you thought Skiba was the best contributor to their latest mediocre release?? 

read the next line. Nobody knows who did what and how much. So you saying “chances are he did less then the hired guns” has as much of a chance at being being correct as me saying “he did more than anyone” we can’t know unless they specifically say which won’t ever happen. So we can only judge what we hear on the record where Skiba’s performance is great. Cool?

Who decided the albums was mediocre? 10 posters on this forum? You’re acting like your opinion on the album is the gospel and everyone else is wrong. It’s mediocre in your opinion. Check Reddit or anywhere else where there’s large group of blink fans gathered and the reaction to Nine is that it is a great album. I mean this whole discussion started from Mikes post about how he thought it was great and ranked above neighbourhoods.

I think Nine is great so that means we have gotten a great album with Skiba. Guess he can stay.

15 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

read the next line. Nobody knows who did what and how much. So you saying “chances are he did less then the hired guns” has as much of a chance at being being correct as me saying “he did more than anyone” we can’t know unless they specifically say which won’t ever happen. So we can only judge what we hear on the record where Skiba’s performance is great. Cool?

Who decided the albums was mediocre? 10 posters on this forum? You’re acting like your opinion on the album is the gospel and everyone else is wrong. It’s mediocre in your opinion. Check Reddit or anywhere else where there’s large group of blink fans gathered and the reaction to Nine is that it is a great album. I mean this whole discussion started from Mikes post about how he thought it was great and ranked above neighbourhoods.

I think Nine is great so that means we have gotten a great album with Skiba. Guess he can stay.

I don’t think my opinion holds anymore weight than anyone else. My belief, and it seems most others here, is that NINE is mediocre. Was cool for the first week or two but it’s forgettable and not something you really go back too. The album wasn’t great and nor was Skiba. But this is all besides the point. I sarcastically said drop Skiba to return to greatness (all you have to do is read the couple comments before mine) and you should be able to pick up the context of my comment. You responding with how great you think Skiba was on NINE was totally irrelevant 

20 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

I don’t think my opinion holds anymore weight than anyone else. My belief, and it seems most others here, is that NINE is mediocre. Was cool for the first week or two but it’s forgettable and not something you really go back too. The album wasn’t great and nor was Skiba. But this is all besides the point. I sarcastically said drop Skiba to return to greatness (all you have to do is read the couple comments before mine) and you should be able to pick up the context of my comment. You responding with how great you think Skiba was on NINE was totally irrelevant 

Me responding was completely relevant. But whatever this has bored me now as I’m sure it has you. Let’s just end it. Agree to disagree etc.

• Like 1