NINE Official Discussion

Russel Coight

2 hours ago, wannabe corn dog said:

sorry, guys. i don't hear any +44 or alkaline trio influence. i don't hear any mark and matt influence either. 0/15 for me. california at least had a few that reminded me of the band. this just screams purchased material. any other top 100 artist could perform these and i wouldn't know the difference. 

stickin to the new ava songs.

Yeah while I’m not a huge fan of the new AVA the songs at least left an imprint on me.

i still don’t understand what Matt is doing here to achieve such praises...yelling more?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

I really really hope I like this album. Because if I don't; I'll probably sell my shares of this place and leave the board. Because then I'll just be in a room full of Kansas crews. It will be too frustrating to mentally handle that.

Probably won't listen to it till my 7 hour drive on Friday. Thats a good time to crack it open.

I feel like on some emo shit will be your favourite off of the album.

Calling it now 

3 hours ago, jordidanen95 said:

They pulled a massive prank on the fanbase i think.....doesn't matter if it was unintentional

see, i dunno. i think this might have been savvy strategy. it's a business tactic called "under-promise, over-deliver."

i would not be the least bit surprised if a 26 year old marketing consultant working with the label and the band's management was like "what are the tracks that you think are least representative of the album as a whole and might appeal in a casual way to contemporary pop audiences, but would be rejected by the band's hardcore fan base? k, release those first. and then when the album actually drops, the reviews from the hardcore will be over the moon at how much better all the other songs are."

it sounds wacky, but i've spent enough time with marketing and PR professionals to know that this (can) be how it works sometimes.

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

1 minute ago, daveyjones said:

i mean i don't pick fights with anyone. love the album if you want. everyone should be free to find some happiness.

i've found some (pockets) of it on nine. it's nice.

Ransom is one of the few times I've been genuinely impressed with Travis. GD drums are great as well. 

• Like 1

First listen through and it's alright.  Nothing spectacular but hoping it grows on me.  At least I don't have the utter disappoint that I had listening California for the first time, but the bar was much lower this time. 

First song I wanted to replay after listening to the album in full was Hungover You.

Biggest negative to me is once again the production particularly on the vocals.  Mark's voice hardly ever feels natural and almost always has a very noticeable effect on it. Also, the ear-piercing pitch perfect harmonies are still present.  Finally, I just have to accept that guitars are not going to be a prominent part of the band anymore which is such a bummer. 

6/10

Just now, daveyjones said:

i mean i don't pick fights with anyone. love the album if you want. everyone should be free to find some happiness.

i've found some (pockets) of it on nine. it's nice.

My pocket is no heart. Everything else seems a little better compared to all the singles.

ive got to admit that I don’t see any of the +44 or alkaline everyone’s talking about. Even the feeling this comparison to the first time is a stretch at best.

After a few listens throughout the day I see a collections of songs that are decent compared to the shit they released leading up to this with a couple of bright spots that are actually solid.

1 minute ago, Njdevils26 said:

My pocket is no heart. Everything else seems a little better compared to all the singles.

ive got to admit that I don’t see any of the +44 or alkaline everyone’s talking about. Even the feeling this comparison to the first time is a stretch at best.

After a few listens throughout the day I see a collections of songs that are decent compared to the shit they released leading up to this with a couple of bright spots that are actually solid.

I only hear plus 44 in Run Away, because it's the interlude re-worked a bit. 

21 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

can you imagine this as an EP?

1.) the first time
2.) generational divide
3.) black rain
4.) pin the grenade
5.) ransom

done.

Black Rain is out but I really like Run Away a lot so I'd trade it for that ... Heaven has a great chorus as well.

• Like 1