Do you like Nine?

Mau5

Do you like Nine?   

80 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Nine? How would you rate it?

• Love it. 8-9-10/10
    • It's alright 5-6-7/10
    • Don't care for it 1-5/10
    • Hate it 0/10

After my first listen I was very hyped but I know that was initial excitement which will likely wear off. There are songs on the album that I don't immediately love, though, that may grow on me. 

Many of us have been disappointed by blink over the past while and are just stoked there's even one song on the album that has that blink-182 sound we remember. When comparing this album to California, it shines (at least for now) but comparing this album to all of blink's releases or to any music, it's not in the 'love' category for me. I enjoy the album a lot and I keep wanting to replay it but it's no Dude Ranch. 

I voted 'it's alright' although that sounds less enthused than I actually feel about nine. 

You guys have to stop comparing shit, just let it be what it is. It's a collection of good songs in the year 2019 by a band that peaked almost 20 years ago. Of course it's not gonna be Dude Ranch or Enema or TOYPAJ or Untitles (thank god). It isn't mean to be those things, they aren't the same people, band or musicians ... figuratively and literally. Enjoying the past doesn't mean using it to define the future.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Speedo said:

You guys have to stop comparing shit, just let it be what it is. It's a collection of good songs in the year 2019 by a band that peaked almost 20 years ago. Of course it's not gonna be Dude Ranch or Enema or TOYPAJ or Untitles (thank god). It isn't mean to be those things, they aren't the same people, band or musicians ... figuratively and literally. Enjoying the past doesn't mean using it to define the future.

I hear ya. But those are my thresholds for whether I love an album. I currently enjoy nine but it's not a favourite. 

2 minutes ago, mahtmd said:

I hear ya. But those are my thresholds for whether I love an album. I currently enjoy nine but it's not a favourite. 

And thats perfectly fine but if you let the impossible be your gauge you're going to end up with quite a bit of disappointment. Don't let your future be destroyed by their past.

That said, hey Jan, come suck my ass.

32 minutes ago, Speedo said:

And thats perfectly fine but if you let the impossible be your gauge you're going to end up with quite a bit of disappointment. Don't let your future be destroyed by their past.

That said, hey Jan, come suck my ass.

The past is only the future with the lights on. 

34 minutes ago, Njdevils26 said:

I’m honestly shocked at how many 8,9,10 votes this got.

this albums lives in the 4-7 range at best.

I have to agree with you on this one mate. In no world this album deserves 8+ and I believe that when the professional reviews will be out the album will sit along with Cali in the rankings, if not worse. It's easy to forget that a third of this album consists of 5 of possibly the worst singles blink ever released. This fact alone drops the album below 8.

Also, If we compare this to Cali, Nine still suffers from similar flaws Cali had - guitar work isn't impressive, lyrics for the most part are pretty much the same level, Matt and Mark sharing vocal duties to the point it feels too forced in some songs, overproduced songs that are destined to crash live, repetitive attributes, etc.

• Like 1

I've given it a good number of listens now, and tbh I think it's better than I originally received it. The tail end of the album stands out to me - but there are some trends in the new blink I fucking hate and they really bother me.

I hate the auto tune.

I hate the obvious, generic pop-radio attributes they put in their songs (esp drum filters, predictable chorus repeats or verse drops, guitar slides and muted instruments)

I hate the fact Mark is pandering to an audience when singing  about break ups and lost loves when he's had a stable family life for like, 25 years.

I hate that this album has a gazillion writers.

But overall, Matt was able to breathe a bit more, they got a tad more creative than California, and Mark did drop the cliché nanaananas and the absolutely terrible lyrics for the most part. Hopefully they keep that part of their trio chemistry up - though no way in hell did they need to find their feet through two albums, a million live shows and 6 writers later. They're all vets in this business, and to me that's why blink is suffering now. It's just.... A business. A show of a show.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Matt Skiba Fan 666 said:

I’m not sure if you saw me ask earlier but I’m genuinely curious to know how these songs rate compared to the two Ava songs out there for you?

I would definitely put First Time and No Heart To Speak Of right up there.  I'd say First Time is the one I'll listen to the most, I already woke up wanting to rush to gooe speakers to listen more, NHTSO probably last of the bunch but that's just because I'll always like Mark & Tom material more than Matt.

I'd say these 4 (as of now) are the only 4 songs to make me really feel 'alive' in years which is an indicator usually of a great song.

NHTSO is probably my favorite Matt song all time too, and that's really cool in itself from an outside perspective.  I like it more than his Alkaline stuff, save maybe Radio (just too well written)

None of these guys are in their prime anymore, but this feels like where they all should be in 2019 finally, and that's Mark, Matt, and Tom. I haven't had faith in these guys in a while.  Stinkers are going to happen at this day in age.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mau5 said:

I've given it a good number of listens now, and tbh I think it's better than I originally received it. The tail end of the album stands out to me - but there are some trends in the new blink I fucking hate and they really bother me.

I hate the auto tune.

I hate the obvious, generic pop-radio attributes they put in their songs (esp drum filters)

I hate that this album has a gazillion writers.

Add the electronic stuff and you're pretty much spot on with what I hate about current blink-182.

The drums on this record really annoy me on some of the songs. I hate hip hop beats and I hate making the drums sound like a drum machine.

There are some good songs on this record that would be really fucking great if they ditched the stuff you and I just mentioned.

Just fucking play guitar, bass and drums. Don't autotune the vocals.