Nine Criticisms.

Kay

10 minutes ago, Scott. said:

Lyrics are for chicks. Any bloke upset by lyrics needs to grow a pair of bollocks imo.

I find the music bland, boring and repetitive too.

It's basically Linkin Park, All American Rejects, Simple Plan, Sum 41 thrown in a blender with a dash of Katy Perry/Taylor Swift melodies sprinkled in - gross
If that's what people want out of blink these days...fine - I feel bad you're limiting yourself musically but do what makes you happy.

5 minutes ago, yodda said:

I find the music bland, boring and repetitive too.

It's basically Linkin Park, All American Rejects, Simple Plan, Sum 41 thrown in a blender with a dash of Katy Perry/Taylor Swift melodies sprinkled in - gross
If that's what people want out of blink these days...fine - I feel bad you're limiting yourself musically but do what makes you happy.

How am I limiting myself musically ffs? Blink are one of hundreds of artists I listen too

• Like 1

Limited meaning a sound that has been done to death by countless artists a lot of which were inspired by blink when they weren't this soulless factory-assembled style band.
Apologies if I made it seem like my taste in music is better or more refined - it probably came across that way - I don't know what other bands people listen to to properly make that assessment.

I've been trying to negotiate with the knowledge that Matt is sober and his lyrics resonate with me but Mark is an old married dude who has rarely struggled with anything like that, so hearing him sing about women and drugs feels so fucking lame. It's rare but when it happens I'm cringing. Just hard to hear him talk about old relationships at all really, it sounds so early 20s angst the way he does it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kay said:

I think the lyrics are weak, the songs are very samey (especially the choruses), the over-the-top, over effected drums are splattered over every song to overcompensate for the lack of actual instrumentation, and you can 100% tell that a lot of the writing is hired in.

I completely agree with these criticisms. But, they don't bother me as much as maybe they should.

This is not their best work as band but blink-182 was always the Mark & Tom show to me and without their dynamic it's just not going to be the same. I think nine is the right direction for the band with Matt.

Also, I may be in the minority, but I don't expect great lyrics from blink - they obviously have timeless lines I love but they have some pretty weak lyrics in all of their albums.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mahtmd said:

I completely agree with these criticisms. But, they don't bother me as much as maybe they should.

This is not their best work as band but blink-182 was always the Mark & Tom show to me and without their dynamic it's just not going to be the same. I think nine is the right direction for the band with Matt.

Also, I may be in the minority, but I don't expect great lyrics from blink - they obviously have timeless lines I love but they have some pretty weak lyrics in all of their albums.

Yeah this is true but a lot of their more questionable ones were more excusable considering their age and the songs themselves - not much of their earlier work was trying to be serious material. None of this album sounds light hearted or anything, as a result the lyrics should matter because silly lyrics with serious music = cringe moments. 

and also, most of their past cringe lyrics were Toms doing more than Marks, and Matt is known from Alk3 for being a damn good lyricist, which is why I point it out here. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Melty Mark said:

I've been trying to negotiate with the knowledge that Matt is sober and his lyrics resonate with me but Mark is an old married dude who has rarely struggled with anything like that, so hearing him sing about women and drugs feels so fucking lame. It's rare but when it happens I'm cringing. Just hard to hear him talk about old relationships at all really, it sounds so early 20s angst the way he does it. 

Haha yeah. He’s singing about girl problems at 50 and im like Havent you been married for 20 years? And didnt he just smoke? Never aware of drug problems but who knows. 

6 minutes ago, yodda said:

I feel like blink could pull off a sound like this
If they just walked away from the formula...just once!

hahaha, lol, how? they can barely use the guitars, and also I'm sure a lot of people at this forum would hate something like this

Really like the song, but I think Tom would also struggle to even come close to this

even if no heart to speak off is a bit unoriginal in its music i really like the matt's vocal on it and it as a whole right until mark as to dump himself in there singing a verse that he has no business being a part of

as part of either him(mark) or Feldman's obsession or stubbornness about mark needed to be on every single fucking song

i tried 2 listen to the song many times hoping to b able to overlook mark's annoyance but i cant 

just like a bad note that just ruins the whole thing

so only good song for me in this whole batch over realy averge and generic songs is happy days

53 minutes ago, alex_dept. said:

hahaha, lol, how? they can barely use the guitars, and also I'm sure a lot of people at this forum would hate something like this

Really like the song, but I think Tom would also struggle to even come close to this

this is a great song, unlike most songs on this new blink album

I love Mark's verse on No Heart To Speak Of,  his lower voice coming in with the  "Nothing left but scars..." is just beautifully haunting.

Though I do get the vibe that Skiba wrote it, or Mark is mimicking a very Skiba-esque delivery. That song is everything I could ever want in a Skiba/Mark/Trav mashup.

2 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

So you're telling me Untitled has no generic chord progressions? riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggghhht!

Lol it definitely does, hell Untitled is one of the worst for blink regarding simplistic guitar work and overused progressions (of the Tom era anyhow) but the songs themselves and how they were crafted makes it much less important. 

• Like 1