Nine Criticisms.

Kay

I can barely tell the tracks apart. I'm gonna have to give this album a 4 out of 9

Like:

First Time

Pin The Grenade 

Ransom

No Heart To Speak Of

Heaven

Don't Mind:

On Some Emo Shit

Run Away

Darkside

Generational Divide

Black Rain

Blame It On My Youth

Happy Days

Dislike:

IRWIHY

Hungover You

Remember To Forget Me

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nshesaid said:

Why do you honestly feel this way?  Here's your Letter, Easy Target, Feeling This, Asthenia, Always?

I don't see how someone can viscously hate those songs at the least.

I can understand stuff like Obvious, Down, Miss You, ILWY being polarizing.

I don't really care for Always and the intro of Asthenia always turns me off it. Obvious is one of the best on the album imo and I love Down too

14 hours ago, Kay said:

but I don't want to leave the forum, I like it here, I just might have to learn some self control regarding posting in the blink section. So until I learn that self control, this topic exists.

Don't leave.  As a "lurker"  who reads this site almost everyday, I definitely enjoy your posts and you add a lot to the forum.  You should not have to learn self control because you recognize Nine isn't that great so keep on preaching haha!

I worked from home yesterday and listened to the album in full 12 times and it's just not that good.  My favorite part is Matt's part in Black Rain but besides that, nothing is memorable.  I feel everyone is a prisoner of the moment right now and the album will have no staying power.  I give it 3-4 months and this forum will be back to how it was with California.  This entire era has been such a major disappointment. I still absolutely love Bored to Death and though I didn't want Tom to leave, thought Skiba was the perfect replacement.  So much mediocrity in three albums. God dammit. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I’m surprised how much people dislike RTFM. I thought it was a pretty solid ending in recent years. I like Mark’s verse, killer chorus when it kicks off, and the outro is pretty awesome as well. 

Matt’s verse is laughable though, that’s some boy band level shit I would expect from Mark. “We both made a left, it don’t make it right” fucking Christ. I like the electronic parts throughout the album but it didn’t work well with this one.

Still my second favorite off the album.

My critiques so far is that the promotion of this album has been horrible. The singles don’t represent the album at all and are generally the worst of the album. There are too much vocal effects and processing on this album. I get that they’re experimenting but just leave the vocals alone. Mark’s voice is so much more processed compare to Matt’s and you can tell he’s probably struggling vocally more in recent years, including in the studio. I still wish Mark and/or Matt would fuck off on sharing vocals on almost every song. Someone here had theorized that the reason why Matt hasn’t had a full song yet is because of some contract with Tom probably, which is fucking lame...Especially considering that Mark has pretty much took over Good Old Days and Happy Days. Those are pretty much my only complaints other than Ransom having the signature Feldy Cali sound again once it kicked off. I would complain about the woahs but they were at least used a little more in taste this time. The whole ambient woahs from Matt needs to stop now, it was a pretty cool throwback but it got old quick. RTFM basically uses the woahs from NHTSO and I didn’t like the woahs in Heaven. The yeahs were annoying in The First Time but whatever. I would make a comment about the songwriters but I hope it was just a one time thing, although anything’s better than that generic Feldmann sound that was sprinkled all over California. The songs came out overall fine so it all worked out. I wish we had some more standout lyrics. They weren’t as much cringey as before but when they were it was pretty bad. Just odd that Matt wouldn’t full come out of his shell lyrically. I think he mentioned something about some of his best lyrics on here or some shit. Matt’s guitar has improved a bit he’s still sticking to that overall style and I think the lofi drums and lofi guitar intros got overused, but I did like most of it. 

Overall Nine has won me over so I’ll be damned. I’m pleasantly shocked and overall impressed with everything outside of the singles. Even the songs that were sort of lackluster weren’t enough to hurt the album. I think Mark, Matt, Travis should stick to creating genuine music than trying to sound like blink or appeal to pop radio. Ironic enough because of how many cook are in the kitchen, there are a lot more genuine moments compared to California. They sound more natural when they’re not trying to sound like blink or write a Top 40’s song.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jlx9 said:

I’m surprised how much people dislike RTFM. I thought it was a pretty solid ending in recent years. I like Mark’s verse, killer chorus when it kicks off, and the outro is pretty awesome as well. 

To me it's just the fact it has the fake guitars/backing that you hear on every random pop song.  The whole thing is just throwaway.

55 minutes ago, BlinkFloyd said:

Don't leave.  As a "lurker"  who reads this site almost everyday, I definitely enjoy your posts and you add a lot to the forum.  You should not have to learn self control because you recognize Nine isn't that great so keep on preaching haha!

It’s Kay. She’s been friends with a lot of us for over a decade. She’s not going anywhere.

24 minutes ago, jlx9 said:

Matt’s verse is laughable though, that’s some boy band level shit I would expect from Mark. “We both made a left, it don’t make it right” fucking Christ. I like the electronic parts throughout the album but it didn’t work well with this one.

Still my second favorite off the album.

My critiques so far is that the promotion of this album has been horrible. The singles don’t represent the album at all and are generally the worst of the album. There are too much vocal effects and processing on this album. I get that they’re experimenting but just leave the vocals alone. Mark’s voice is so much more processed compare to Matt’s and you can tell he’s probably struggling vocally more in recent years, including in the studio. I still wish Mark and/or Matt would fuck off on sharing vocals on almost every song. Someone here had theorized that the reason why Matt hasn’t had a full song yet is because of some contract with Tom probably, which is fucking lame...Especially considering that Mark has pretty much took over Good Old Days and Happy Days. Those are pretty much my only complaints other than Ransom having the signature Feldy Cali sound again once it kicked off. I would complain about the woahs but they were at least used a little more in taste this time. The whole ambient woahs from Matt needs to stop now, it was a pretty cool throwback but it got old quick. RTFM basically uses the woahs from NHTSO and I didn’t like the woahs in Heaven. The yeahs were annoying in The First Time but whatever. I would make a comment about the songwriters but I hope it was just a one time thing, although anything’s better than that generic Feldmann sound that was sprinkled all over California. The songs came out overall fine so it all worked out. I wish we had some more standout lyrics. They weren’t as much cringey as before but when they were it was pretty bad. Just odd that Matt wouldn’t full come out of his shell lyrically. I think he mentioned something about some of his best lyrics on here or some shit. Matt’s guitar has improved a bit he’s still sticking to that overall style and I think the lofi drums and lofi guitar intros got overused, but I did like most of it. 

Overall Nine has won me over so I’ll be damned. I’m pleasantly shocked and overall impressed with everything outside of the singles. Even the songs that were sort of lackluster weren’t enough to hurt the album. I think Mark, Matt, Travis should stick to creating genuine music than trying to sound like blink or appeal to pop radio. Ironic enough because of how many cook are in the kitchen, there are a lot more genuine moments compared to California. They sound more natural when they’re not trying to sound like blink or write a Top 40’s song.

i hate how they have 2 make everything sound so bubblegum like it takes away all the rawness especially for that song ur talking

the duo thing on every song is so annoying and takes away it special feel its too much and is annoying after 2-3 songs in

4 hours ago, daveyjones said:

i mean, in this thread i'm just trolling my line.

i've gone over and over and over it on these boards. untitled is my least favorite blink album. has been since it came out.

"feeling this" that song was a joke to me when it came out. the same song they've written time and again, but somehow, worse. "here's your letter" is one of the more tolerable ones. "always" is bad... again, a song they've already given us before, but somehow worse.

i know it is hard for younger fans to understand, but if cheshire cat was like your most favorite record in the world in high school (every song, every note) and dude ranch was pretty good but not as close to your heart, and then enema came out and it was ughhhhhh and things just went down from there...

... and then you're in your mid-twenties and out of college and untitled comes out. i don't know how else to explain it, that album sounds like it came from mars. i'll never like it.

And we've both said this: Most older blink fans, the ones from before Dude Ranch, don't like Untitled.

Also, "Go" off Untitled is a good song. That's probably my favorite on the album.

4 hours ago, daveyjones said:

i mean, in this thread i'm just trolling my line.

i've gone over and over and over it on these boards. untitled is my least favorite blink album. has been since it came out.

"feeling this" that song was a joke to me when it came out. the same song they've written time and again, but somehow, worse. "here's your letter" is one of the more tolerable ones. "always" is bad... again, a song they've already given us before, but somehow worse.

i know it is hard for younger fans to understand, but if cheshire cat was like your most favorite record in the world in high school (every song, every note) and dude ranch was pretty good but not as close to your heart, and then enema came out and it was ughhhhhh and things just went down from there...

... and then you're in your mid-twenties and out of college and untitled comes out. i don't know how else to explain it, that album sounds like it came from mars. i'll never like it.

I don't get how anyone can like Cheshire Cat, half of the songs are barely songs with almost nothing to them, I'm not even talking about production, it's raw but in a bad cheap way, it feels like music made by a school band, the only songs which deserve listening to are Carousel, M+M's and Wasting Time because they have good guitar work and catchy vocal lines. Everything else sounds underdeveloped and shallow. And you can barely tell one song from another.

It's like you cling to specific style of raw, underproduced pop punk without caring about song quality. Which is even lower than on post-Tom albums. I think Cheshire is absolutely the worst blink album, but I'm never rating it lower than Cali and Nine because at least it's sincere.

And Feeling This is like blink on Take Off but more complicated, with vocal lines one over another, vocal exchange, sloppy raw riffage. Blink used these chords before but thy couldn't accomplish anything like that before. 

Always is homage to 80's new wave, but not a blatant homage, they still kept their style, but made it more refined, the song sounds cleaner and has more complicated relations between different instruments in the mix. I don't get how you can percieve this as downgrade since it's a move to being more deep and melodic, departing from dumb pop-punk juvenility. Untitled was more poppy in terms of production, softer, but in terms of songwriting it's a lot more challenging than anything before.

And also how can you still like something you liked at school so much? Didn't you change in any way? There is a lot more you can listen to apart from Bad Religion and young bands which tried to replicate it. I'm so happy blink abandoned this style of music later because it's almost the worst thing music has ever had. I'm betting you like the second part of Ransom too, cliche shit made in two seconds. 

• Crab 4

1 minute ago, alex_dept. said:

I don't get how anyone can like Cheshire Cat, half of the songs are barely songs with almost nothing to them, I'm not even talking about production, it's raw but in a bad cheap way, it feels like music made by a school band, the only songs which deserve listening to are Carousel, M+M's and Wasting Time because they have good guitar work and catchy vocal lines. Everything else sounds underdeveloped and shallow. And you can barely tell one song from another.

Have you listened to Chesire Cat more than once? The songs are very distinct, despite being similar in style.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, alex_dept. said:

It's like you cling to specific style of raw, underproduced pop punk without caring about song quality.

all your points are fair.

all i'm saying is that was the album i loved when i was 16, 17 years old. my heart will always be with it, and i think that's the case with any album that someone hears for the first time for a band at that age. you have to understand, i saw blink live probably 50 times between 1995 and 1998. they were a huge part of my life at that time. i've sang "ben wah balls" on stage with the band, more than once. i've had "wasting time" dedicated to me and my girlfriend at the time by mark. i was on the guestlist at SOMA. yadayadayadyadyada. 

the point is, the soundtrack to those times? it was cheshire cat. so when i listen to it now as a middle aged dude, i don't even hear the album anymore. i see that time in my life.

i listen to tons and tons of musical styles and genres. that's why i can appreciate what blink is doing now (again i just picture it as a side project). but untitled will always leave a sour taste in my mouth. in so, so many ways it was the end of an era.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

You can dislike Untitled all you want but you can't deny the fact that the boys worked their asses off on that album. They really tried to push each others' limits and evolve their sound and it shows, whether you like the final product or not. I miss that kind of creative integrity from the band. I wish I could say the same when listening to Nine, but I really can't shake the feeling that a huge chunk of what I'm hearing wasn't even written by them. At this point the only parts that weren't touched by filthy pop writers hands are Travis's drum takes.

• Like 2