Nine Criticisms.

Kay

1 minute ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Have you listened to Chesire Cat more than once? The songs are very distinct, despite being similar in style.

I did, and they are definitely not distinct, even less than on Dude Ranch, even the best songs M+M's and Wasting Time are the same song, but with different riffs. 

I wouldn't say anything like that if i didn't try to understand it. 

1 minute ago, voyeur182 said:

You can dislike Untitled all you want but you can't deny the fact that the boys worked their asses off on that album. They really tried to push each others' limits and evolve their sound and it shows, whether you like the final product or not. I miss that kind of creative integrity from the band. I wish I could say the same when listening to Nine, but I really can't shake the feeling that a huge chunk of what I'm hearing wasn't even written by them. At this point the only parts that weren't touched by filthy pop writers hands are Travis's drum takes.

Working hard doesn't guarantee a good outcome. It's good and even important to work hard but like I said, it's no guarantee.

Just now, alex_dept. said:

even the best songs M+M's and Wasting Time are the same song, but with different riffs. 

i'm guessing you don't play guitar. they're completely different progressions, tempo, structure, everything. "carousel" has more in common with "m+m's" in that they are both based in I–V–vi–IV with no additional variation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

all your points are fair.

all i'm saying is that was the album i loved when i was 16, 17 years old. my heart will always be with it, and i think that's the case with any album that someone hears for the first time for a band at that age. you have to understand, i saw blink live probably 50 times between 1995 and 1998. they were a huge part of my life at that time. i've sang "ben wah balls" on stage with the band, more than once. i've had "wasting time" dedicated to me and my girlfriend at the time by mark. i was on the guestlist at SOMA. yadayadayadyadyada. 

the point is, the soundtrack to those times? it was cheshire cat. so when i listen to it now as a middle aged dude, i don't even hear the album anymore. i see that time in my life.

i listen to tons and tons of musical styles and genres. that's why i can appreciate what blink is doing now (again i just picture it as a side project). but untitled will always leave a sour taste in my mouth. in so, so many ways it was the end of an era.

Yeah, it makes sense, you definitely can't percieve it as music anymore. But I think I couldn't listen to it, if i were you, because it would remind me of being young and understanding that you will never go back to those times. 

Just now, alex_dept. said:

But I think I couldn't listen to it, if i were you, because it would remind me of being young and understanding that you will never go back to those times. 

ah but that's what makes it so sweet though. that's why i play these albums from my youth on guitar. i get to relive it.

5 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

i'm guessing you don't play guitar. they're completely different progressions, tempo, structure, everything. "carousel" has more in common with "m+m's" in that they are both based in I–V–vi–IV with no additional variation.

it's the same song, but 2 and 4 chords in progression are changed over.

2 minutes ago, yodda said:

Cheshire Cat was the first album I ever bought
Leave my Cheshire Cat alone!

Why the fuck do you think you're right about every little thing that you saaaaaayyyy (ay ay)?

i'm not, it's music, you can't be right here or wrong, i'm just expressing my opinion, maybe i'm too rough in phrasing, but that's what music forums are for

1 minute ago, yodda said:

People are getting really hung up about chord progressions in this thread
They don't matter with blink - it's all about the melodies
Tom even admitted at that AVA show he knew just one progression

I think, I have problems when you use a generic progression but doesn't lay a melody over, just bare chords are too boring, tha't what Matt does

15 minutes ago, alex_dept. said:

I did, and they are definitely not distinct, even less than on Dude Ranch, even the best songs M+M's and Wasting Time are the same song, but with different riffs. 

I wouldn't say anything like that if i didn't try to understand it. 

I don't understand how you could possibly think M+M's and Wasting Time are the same song. Completely different melodies, totally different riffs. Sure, they're both fast songs with power chords, but so is 90% of blink's discography. They are completely different to me.

• Like 1

This is an interesting time for the evolution of the Skiba era.

There are a lot of tradeoffs from the Cali to Nine era. Overall I like the direction of Nine more; it's better produced and sounds less compressed. Whoever compared Nine to Linkin Park is bang on, sounds very similar. I just like that you can hear Travis smash the drums and some of the electronic stuff works really well. This style sounds like a better version of Los Angeles to me. I'd love for them to take this tone to a more raw rock producer, though. Couple that with more Skiba riffs and involvement and it would make for a solid 8/10 album IMO. Or if Tom goes bankrupt and gets desperate, contract out the guitar riff writing portion for a flat rate fee lol. 

• Love 1

26 minutes ago, alex_dept. said:

it's the same song, but 2 and 4 chords in progression are changed over.

the intro / chorus part to "wasting time" ("m+m's" doesn't even have a second part i'm smoking crack here, of course it does—the chorus) is A-E-C#-B. the verses are E-A-C#-B. if you have that confused with I–V–vi–IV in the key of E than i don't know what else to tell you.

1 minute ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I don't understand how you could possibly think M+M's and Wasting Time are the same song. Completely different melodies, totally different riffs. Sure, they're both fast songs with power chords, but so is 90% of blink's discography. They are completely different to me.

I was mostly saying that they used the same basic chords for it, but with a slightly changed order, don't hear me wrong, songs are amazing, riffs are different, but the basis is the same, and stylisticly they are very similar. They are lot more similar to each other than to Cacophony for example, that's what i meant.