The official Weezer thread

Aria

13 minutes ago, Scott. said:

Love Hash Pipe and Buddy Holly, everything else I’ve heard is shit. Anymore songs I can check out similar to those? 

Maybe check out Dope Nose and Keep Fishin' first if you like those two and let me know what you think. Photograph too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scott. said:

Keep Fishin is a cool song. Not really feeling Dope Nose 

Yeah a lot of people didn't care much for Dope Nose. Not sure why it always stuck with me. Keep fishin' is a lot of fun, and has one of the most feel good videos ever.

Okay. Im gonna completely break down my thoughts on this cause it's so push and pull, and the most subjective thing ever but one of the oldest and greatest weezer debates. It's a win, win honestly. When it comes to the blue album, Buddy Holly will always be my favorite Weezer song of all time, and this was my first introduction to them.  I still get chills when I listen to that My Name Is Jonas introduction (I'd hate to find the hard-core Weezer fan that doesn't honestly) and I do love every song. I think The World Has Turned And Left Me Here  and Only In Dreams are complete and utter masterpieces/ahead of their time/insane.  Going back to chills.... Only In Dreams... throughout... every. single time. 

Cutting to Pinkerton. It's like, one of those memories you remember vividly because of how important it felt/still feels to you? I bought this CD from the Virgin Record Store at Downtown Disney, while on local vacation with my family en route to a Disney World resort for the 100th time at that point. 

I popped Pinkerton into my Walkman, and sat in the corner of our room and hit play. 

I don't know how to describe it, but I'll try: To be that young and feel the way I did while listening to Pinkerton for the first time was a little overwhelming. From the beginning, Tired Of The Sex left me immediately like "this is nothing like The Blue Album, this nothing like that album, this is... remarkable. 

I remember there were a lot of running hand through hair moments, my mouth remained dropped the entire record, I had to pause and go for a walk a few times, then hurry back and hit play again. When it comes down to it, I think the first thing that makes me lean closer to Pinkerton is, as a whole it hit me harder and the words sank into me more. 

Across The Sea is my star player if one existed that represents most why I hold this album above everything else.  Across The Sea is.... I have never to this day heard another song remotely close to being like it. Brutal unapologetic honesty,  in the rawest realest most daring way. That's what it feels like at least.  And that's what the entire album feels like. This guy revealed and bared his soul and poured his heart out on this album. Didn't stop to wonder if he should be embarrassed about certain thoughts, ideas and actions, like if it's real I'll put it out there - Something I struggle with internally, in my head, to myself about myself

Even songs like The Good Life, on the surface sound upbeat and almost goofy and some of the lyrics feel like they're trying to both distract the main point while hinting that everything isn't as it seems. 

Excuse the bitching
I shouldn't complain
I should have no feeling
'Cause feeling is pain
As everything I need is denied me
And everything I want is taken away from me
But who do I got to blame?
Nobody but me

I've had friends hear me argue Pinkerton and say The Good Life is such a silly song, but it's in reality one of the darkest. Justified or not it's self-blaming and a harsh look at oneself from the perspective of failure. 

Basically: The entire album hits me hard, makes me feel so much and I can't help feel it's far more real than Blue was. It feels like an evolution of Blue,  I think there was a lot of frustration on Rivers end regarding things getting lost in translation on Blue.  I wish I could find it again, but I remember an old video, someone's talking to him and wants to know how feels in regards to Surf wax America becoming a surfer's anthem of sorts, and he looked at the interviewer kind of thrown off, disappointed in general and he opened up about how satirical that song was, that it was mostly meant to make fun of that scene, and that he didn't understand it. It's how I always took the song, and I felt his struggle with the affect that song had in general. 

And take the harshest song on Blue, No One Else.  I think while that song wasn't satirical, people took it that way. So Surf and this song both got twisted into what he didn't anticipate.  I think No One Else was his first attempt at fending off personal praise and attention. He truly didn't want people to place him on a pedestal, and nobody was more aware of his faults and struggles than him. It's very heavy. Pairing Surf Wax, No One Else with The World Has Turned and Only In Dreams those are the most real songs on that record. And the rest are great, they just don't feel as real and open as Pinkerton in my opinion, yet at the same time they wanna be as real and open. An anxiety I can relate to, wanting to open up about how you feel internally, about yourself and life in general but being afraid to. With Pinkerton, it seemed like he couldn't hold back anymore. 

On a separate, but connected note, this is why I adore all Weezer, everything they put out. Watching how bleak things were at the jump, and the mental health struggle Rivers was battling.... to go from that, to becoming this band that is partly known for writing songs that are (and sometimes actually are) silly and nerdy and just nerd-rock personified, I can't help but smile. There a rare band that is less to me about a progression of sound than they are a progression of mental health security and self-confidence.  Paints their discography in a different light to me. 

For me, Weezer has three good albums. Blue (my favorite, but also my first Weezer album, and the most nostalgic), Pinkerton, and White. Can't say I really like any other full album, but every Weezer album has at least one or two songs that I really like, and with the size of their discography and the frequency of their releases, that means they have a LOT of songs that I like. I've still never seen them live, but would love to. Not sure if the HellaMega tour is the time for me to see them though. I'd rather see them headline.

4 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

For me, Weezer has three good albums. Blue (my favorite, but also my first Weezer album, and the most nostalgic), Pinkerton, and White.

everything will be alright in the end is vastly superior to the white album, imo. but white has some ok jams. i think my problem with white (besides "thank god for girls" which is godawful) is that all the songs are the product of rivers' demo database formula. as he said to entertainment weekly earlier this year:

"The way I write now, I have a folder of about 1,400 demos. And I look at it through a program called Mp3tag. I’ll be writing a song, and I’ll know: “All right, I need a bridge that’s at 132 bpm, in the Key of A-flat major, and the bridge needs to start on the two chord, and the melody needs to be on the fourth degree of the scale.” I press “Go,” and Mp3tag returns the ten matching demos I have."

that very mechanical nature of the songwriting is super evident on white. like "summer elaine and drunk dori" is a fun jam. but once you have a look at the chord progressions and see that he's only writing lyrics to fit particular rhyming styles or beats per measure or whatever (and the words don't really mean anything, they just fit his 'structure' for that particular song)... it leaves me kinda cold.

I'm usually very All or Nothing with my feelings when it comes to bands/artists and I think Weezer is the only band I can claim to be a BIG fan of, even though I only love 4 albums (Blue, Pinkerton, Green and White) and some different songs here and there from the others.

I'm glad I finally got to see them live in July. It was their first show ever here so it was special. Great atmosphere, great show. Now they went from never setting foot in Italy to coming back next summer with the HELLAMEGA tour but I don't think I will go because it won't be as good as it was this summer. 

7 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

everything will be alright in the end is vastly superior to the white album, imo. but white has some ok jams. i think my problem with white (besides "thank god for girls" which is godawful) is that all the songs are the product of rivers' demo database formula. as he said to entertainment weekly earlier this year:

"The way I write now, I have a folder of about 1,400 demos. And I look at it through a program called Mp3tag. I’ll be writing a song, and I’ll know: “All right, I need a bridge that’s at 132 bpm, in the Key of A-flat major, and the bridge needs to start on the two chord, and the melody needs to be on the fourth degree of the scale.” I press “Go,” and Mp3tag returns the ten matching demos I have."

that very mechanical nature of the songwriting is super evident on white. like "summer elaine and drunk dori" is a fun jam. but once you have a look at the chord progressions and see that he's only writing lyrics to fit particular rhyming styles or beats per measure or whatever (and the words don't really mean anything, they just fit his 'structure' for that particular song)... it leaves me kinda cold.

Yeah, the lyrics are kind of nonsense, but I can't help but like the overall sound of the White album. I need to give EWBAITE another chance. I listened to it once and it didn't do much for me, but neither did Nine the first time I listened to it, and now I really like Nine. I do remember liking a few of the tracks on EWBAITE.