Mark Hoppus - Just What I Needed

M!ke

Just in case anybody misses the context of why the cover is so weird:

"A couple years ago, I was asked to record a creepy cover of Just What I Needed for a tv show. They wanted moody and strange, dark, and drony, with space for dialogue to go over it. I went into the studio with my friend James Ingram and this is what we came up with. The show was cancelled so quickly the episode never aired, but if you can imagine a grim and grizzled detective determinedly working a murder case that shook them to the very core of their being, this is the music the show requested. It's been sitting on a hard drive ever since, and with the sad news of Ric Ocasek's passing, I thought I'd put it up here. Enjoy it. And go listen to The Cars."

This sounds like Mark's evolution from +44 to Neighborhoods to what he has in his head right now. Just goes to show that California was nowhere near genuine. Nine was a step in the right direction and I enjoy the album loads but this cover is more genuine and a true representation of his natural sound IMO. FTG, In Transit, Heart's All Gone. That's his true sound.

• Crab 1

12 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

This sounds like Mark's evolution from +44 to Neighborhoods to what he has in his head right now. Just goes to show that California was nowhere near genuine. Nine was a step in the right direction and I enjoy the album loads but this cover is more genuine and a true representation of his natural sound IMO. FTG, In Transit, Heart's All Gone. That's his true sound.

Ehhh we don't even know when this was recorded.

28 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

I’ll type out what I didn’t even mean to say out loud while reading this: 

oh, stop.

20 minutes ago, Ari said:

Also if we’re to go by marks backstory regarding this cover, it legit was written a specific way to fit a mold and not how he’d necessarily of done it if he was just doing it for fun. 

There's a difference between Mark being in charge of the whole recording still though, compared to Feldman and his co-writing teams being involved. They would've it similar to the real song and have it be some cheesy pop punk song. Yeah sure Mark would come up with more a more groovy idea if he wasn't told to have it fit a mould, but it'd still probably be as weird as FTG or similar sounding to MH. Hell, even his remix of that 1990's song was very +44 sounding.

I'd be very interested to hear a Mark solo album. Would definitely be a weird album.

On 9/16/2019 at 2:58 PM, Chewy030 said:

Mike where is your NINE review? Or are you waiting for Friday? 

Heh, does anyone even care what I have to say about the album?  I like it a lot, way more than California, but I'm not sure that what I have to say about it really matters to anyone here.