Jump to content
 

Dude Ranch Demo Tape?


bradsonemanband
 Share

Recommended Posts

We've all probably heard about the white whale, the unreleased Dude Ranch demo tape... There's supposedly only a few in existence, but those who have copies refuse to put it out there for everyone, which I guess is understandable. 

- Apparently these are the songs on it:
Josie
Dammit
Apple Shampoo
Emo
I'm Sorry
Untitled
Boring
Unreleased "Voyeur #3"
Unreleased New Song

It's also possible that the demos for "A New Hope" and "Enthused" are on it since there's demos of those songs available on the internet. There are also demos/early recordings of "Lemmings", "Waggy", and "Degenerate" out there, but it's unknown if any of those were from the same Dude Ranch demo sessions. 

- It was recorded by Warren of The Vandals in 1996.

- Those that have heard the unreleased new song said this about it: 
It has a "great fucking Mark and Tom back and forth bridge" where the Mark line was "It's too late, it got dark, one more day has gone by me" over and over again and then Tom comes in with "I'm not waking up today, I'd just rather stay in bed."

- Apparently "I'm Sorry" is faster and shorter.

 

Anyone else have anymore information about this demo tape?? 

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

hello, let me try and clear a few things up.

mark played the demo tape for me once in his car. this would have been, october or november 1996. it was indeed recorded by warren fitzgerald of the vandals and kung fu records. i remember hearing "dammit" and "i'm sorry" and a few others. "i'm sorry" had a complete fade out on it (not with the guitar sustain remaining, as on the album) and mark noted that he was kind of proud and it was the first time they'd ever faded out a track.

only new songs were demoed with warren for record label courting.

this includes "enthused" (which was released on the summer 1996 australian wasting time EP).

"lemmings", "waggy", "degenerate", and "princess leia" were not demoed in these sessions. the "princess leia" demo recording you refer to is from much earlier, in 1995 (they played it live most of that year). "lemmings" and "waggy" were recorded during the uranus sessions in 1995; those are the recordings available. "degenerate" was recorded during the buddha sessions in 1994. no other demos for those songs are known to exist.

the tracklist source i have for the tape is:

1.) boring
2.) emo
3.) apple shampoo
4.) sorry
5.) dammit dammit sonofabitch
6.) unreleased / unknown title (this was likely enthused)
7.) josie
8.) voyeur (original)
9.) untitled

beyond "enthused" on the wasting time EP, that short clip of "apple shampoo" on youtube, and what i remember from mark's car, that's all i've heard.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, daveyjones said:

hello, let me try and clear a few things up.

mark played the demo tape for me once in his car. this would have been, october or november 1996. it was indeed recorded by warren fitzgerald of the vandals and kung fu records. i remember hearing "dammit" and "i'm sorry" and a few others. "i'm sorry" had a complete fade out on it (not with the guitar sustain remaining, as on the album) and mark noted that he was kind of proud and it was the first time they'd ever faded out a track.

only new songs were demoed with warren for record label courting.

this includes "enthused" (which was released on the summer 1996 australian wasting time EP).

"lemmings", "waggy", "degenerate", and "princess leia" were not demoed in these sessions. the "princess leia" demo recording you refer to is from much earlier, in 1995 (they played it live most of that year). "lemmings" and "waggy" were recorded during the uranus sessions in 1995; those are the recordings available. "degenerate" was recorded during the buddha sessions in 1994. no other demos for those songs are known to exist.

the tracklist source i have for the tape is:

1.) boring
2.) emo
3.) apple shampoo
4.) sorry
5.) dammit dammit sonofabitch
6.) unreleased / unknown title (this was likely enthused)
7.) josie
8.) voyeur (original)
9.) untitled

beyond "enthused" on the wasting time EP, that short clip of "apple shampoo" on youtube, and what i remember from mark's car, that's all i've heard.

Was the demo for "Dammit" pretty cool? Probably hard to remember anything specifically different about it, I'm sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, bradsonemanband said:

Probably hard to remember anything specifically different about it, I'm sure.

you tell me what you remember about a song you heard once twenty-three years ago, and we can compare notes. ?

seriously, though, given the quality of the "enthused" demo we have, i would much prefer the demos of dude ranch to the actual album. the mix was never right and the mastering is piss-poor. the demos sound much more like the jeff forrest uranus sessions, which (as i've noted many times) is my favorite era of blink.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, daveyjones said:

hello, let me try and clear a few things up.

mark played the demo tape for me once in his car. this would have been, october or november 1996. it was indeed recorded by warren fitzgerald of the vandals and kung fu records. i remember hearing "dammit" and "i'm sorry" and a few others. "i'm sorry" had a complete fade out on it (not with the guitar sustain remaining, as on the album) and mark noted that he was kind of proud and it was the first time they'd ever faded out a track.

only new songs were demoed with warren for record label courting.

this includes "enthused" (which was released on the summer 1996 australian wasting time EP).

"lemmings", "waggy", "degenerate", and "princess leia" were not demoed in these sessions. the "princess leia" demo recording you refer to is from much earlier, in 1995 (they played it live most of that year). "lemmings" and "waggy" were recorded during the uranus sessions in 1995; those are the recordings available. "degenerate" was recorded during the buddha sessions in 1994. no other demos for those songs are known to exist.

the tracklist source i have for the tape is:

1.) boring
2.) emo
3.) apple shampoo
4.) sorry
5.) dammit dammit sonofabitch
6.) unreleased / unknown title (this was likely enthused)
7.) josie
8.) voyeur (original)
9.) untitled

beyond "enthused" on the wasting time EP, that short clip of "apple shampoo" on youtube, and what i remember from mark's car, that's all i've heard.

Just to be abundantly clear, there is no new unreleased song we’ve never heard before on the Dude Ranch Demos? 

The anecdote above along with the partial lyrics posted of this unreleased song is folklore? 

Thank you for your time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, 21dayz said:

Just to be abundantly clear, there is no new unreleased song we’ve never heard before on the Dude Ranch Demos? 
beats me.

The anecdote above along with the partial lyrics posted of this unreleased song is folklore?
dunno. i mean, there's no reason to not believe the person. 

i just shared what info i have.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...