Dude Ranch Demo Tape?

bradsonemanband

31 minutes ago, baddyguerrero said:

My apologies for the abrupt entrance. I read through the whole 14 page thread that night and saw that it died out so I took it upon myself to get the conversation about the holy grail started yet again. Appreciate all you’ve done, Davey. Thanks for the response. 

it's all good. i was only being snarky! to annoy @Patient #48273. welcome to the boards.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2021 at 4:27 PM, blinkstillrules said:

It's confirmed Chesh is lying about having the DR demos. His clip of the Apple Shampoo demo on YouTube is actually a Billabong commerical that used the demo version of Apple Shampoo. Another bootleg collector confirmed it to me.

Not surprising in the least, that dudes always-sucked.tk 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, bradsonemanband said:

Sucks that we got sooooo close to having these... the dude should have leaked them anonymously rather than going straight through Mark who notoriously hates releasing demos of old stuff. Bummer. 

Does he Really?

6 minutes ago, Ash-517 said:

Also wasn't there some issue with whether they recorded the DR demos with label money, thus preventing them from being able to legally release them?

the particulars (which seem to involve kung fu records) are unclear. although @blinkstillrulesis in contact with joe vandal, who has been helpful with many other matters.

14 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

@veeRob would have never done that. he was good friends with mark for quite some time. plus his copy is like a multi-generation dub and in no shape for any kind of release.

Yeah it's not my property to give out, even leak. As it has become clear I'm the only one left holding the demo, it'd be pretty obvious that it was me leaking it. AND it's against the band's wishes? Yeah, sorry guys.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ash-517 said:

I mean considering the only demo that is commercially available is the Buddha remaster (and some people consider Buddha an album, not a demo) then I'd say he isn't very open with releasing demos. Also wasn't there some issue with whether they recorded the DR demos with label money, thus preventing them from being able to legally release them? Either way I think it's in Mark's nature to look ahead to new things rather than spend much time worrying about an old demo he recorded over 20 years ago. I'd like to think we can hear them some day but I'm not counting on it at the moment.

I've accepted I'm never going to hear the DR demos, which is a massive disappointment.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

5 hours ago, blinkstillrules said:

I've accepted I'm never going to hear the DR demos.

Me as well. It’s a huge bummer, even though it’s only a demo tape in the grand scheme of things. I understand there’d be quite a few hurdles to leap in order for a proper release to happen.

Just now, bradsonemanband said:

@veeRob It totally makes sense why you didn't leak the tape. I respect that decision. Can you at least describe the unreleased song? Mark mentioned that it's a song that they ended up borrowing a few parts of and put into other songs. I'd love to know what exactly from that song we've all actually heard. 

What a great idea! I can absolutely describe it. And I completely disagree with Mark's assessment that the pieces were used in other songs.

00:00 A classic Tom style slow riff starts the song

00:15 Drums and bass are added

00:40 Song speeds up, just drums and bass

00:47 Guitar kicks in with a tasty Tom style riff

00:56 Tom sings the first verse

01:12 Song switches to half time as Tom sings the first chorus

01:20 Song switches back to full speed as Tom sings the second half of the chorus

01:27 Back to the tasty Tom riff from the intro

01:35 Tom sings the second verse

01:51 Tom sings the second chorus

02:07 Song slows back down and it's just bass and drums

02:16 Mark sings a one-line hook repeating with a single guitar added

02:25 Tom sings the first line of the first verse on top of Mark's repetitive hook (my favorite part)

02:33 Overlapping vocals continue but speed increases

02:42 Tom sings the chorus a third time, and the tasty Tom riff comes in over the second half

03:00 End of song

• Love 3

1 hour ago, veeRob said:

What a great idea! I can absolutely describe it. And I completely disagree with Mark's assessment that the pieces were used in other songs.

00:00 A classic Tom style slow riff starts the song

00:15 Drums and bass are added

00:40 Song speeds up, just drums and bass

00:47 Guitar kicks in with a tasty Tom style riff

00:56 Tom sings the first verse

01:12 Song switches to half time as Tom sings the first chorus

01:20 Song switches back to full speed as Tom sings the second half of the chorus

01:27 Back to the tasty Tom riff from the intro

01:35 Tom sings the second verse

01:51 Tom sings the second chorus

02:07 Song slows back down and it's just bass and drums

02:16 Mark sings a one-line hook repeating with a single guitar added

02:25 Tom sings the first line of the first verse on top of Mark's repetitive hook (my favorite part)

02:33 Overlapping vocals continue but speed increases

02:42 Tom sings the chorus a third time, and the tasty Tom riff comes in over the second half

03:00 End of song

Wow! So cool! Thank you for the description! Now I’m even more bummed we will probably never hear it since you don’t agree that they recycled any of it for other songs. Haha.

Is there a song or two in their discography that you’d compare it to? Or, if it was on Dude Ranch, where would you place it in an album ranking? Top/middle/low?

And is that the only song on the demo tape we haven’t heard? I’ve read some conflicting info that there may be a second unreleased song on it?

• Like 1