Dude Ranch Demo Tape?

bradsonemanband

3 minutes ago, Jon Benjamin said:

No, it was a completely different one. 

id like to hear ive heard other non-album songs

like from that demo called demo 2

and the other songs are not that great but its fun to see what they tried along the way and for same reason id like to hear that voyeur

funny how they have  3 songs called votyeu

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

i've just been a fan for a long, long, long time (1995).

Haha oh I know that wasn't meant as a diss at all! You just have knowledge of so many tiny details and dates and stuff I was just curious if it was written down somewhere or if you have some kind of photographic memory for all of it.

On 9/25/2019 at 1:32 PM, bradsonemanband said:

those who have copies refuse to put it out there for everyone, which I guess is understandable. 

This might be an unpopular opinion, but no it's not understandable. It's being a dick. I can understand not releasing FLAC to prevent fakes passed as authentic copies being sold, but there's no good reason to not share 320 or 192 kbps mp3. Music is meant to be heard and enjoyed, not hoarded like a douche. We have good mp3s of Flyswatter, Demo 2, Buddha, Short Bus, Enema demos, etc. The Dude Ranch demo should be shared as well.

I would love to hear this demo and have a copy in mp3 but sadly those who have it would rather hoard it.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, blinkstillrules said:

I can understand not releasing FLAC to prevent fakes passed as authentic copies being sold, but there's no good reason to not share 320 or 192 kbps mp3.

agreed. the only reason i don't distribute my demos in lossless is to prevent fans getting ripped off by forgers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ari said:

@blinkstillrules yeah, like I totally get not sharing it. If someone hooks you up with something and asks you to not share it, honor that- But if he does have it, posting twenty-seconds of one of the tracks and then stating not to ask him for it is just unnecessary and immature. 

I'm gonna disagree again. I can understand honoring an agreement to not release a lossless copy to protect from forgeries but it's dick to not share 320 kbps mp3s with the community, especially with something this rare.

Music is meant to be heard and enjoyed. The people not sharing listenable mp3s of this demo are wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blinkstillrules said:

I'm gonna disagree again. I can understand honoring an agreement to not release a lossless copy to protect from forgeries but it's dick to not share 320 kbps mp3s with the community, especially with something this rare.

Music is meant to be heard and enjoyed. The people not sharing listenable mp3s of this demo are wrong.

What I was trying to say is, if you’re  not gonna share it putting up a twenty second preview to brag and show you have it just to say you’re not gonna share it is obnoxious. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ari said:

putting up a twenty second preview to brag and show you have it just to say you’re not gonna share it is obnoxious. 

this. it's a tease, it's a brag, it's a dick move. no question about it.

if i uploaded clips of demo #2 in lossless and was like "yea i have the whole thing" and here's an audio watermark to my stupid youtube channel of bootlegs i don't even own, y'all should be FUCK YOU DAVEYJONES.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 9/25/2019 at 2:04 PM, daveyjones said:

hello, let me try and clear a few things up.

mark played the demo tape for me once in his car. this would have been, october or november 1996. it was indeed recorded by warren fitzgerald of the vandals and kung fu records. i remember hearing "dammit" and "i'm sorry" and a few others. "i'm sorry" had a complete fade out on it (not with the guitar sustain remaining, as on the album) and mark noted that he was kind of proud and it was the first time they'd ever faded out a track.

only new songs were demoed with warren for record label courting.

this includes "enthused" (which was released on the summer 1996 australian wasting time EP).

"lemmings", "waggy", "degenerate", and "princess leia" were not demoed in these sessions. the "princess leia" demo recording you refer to is from much earlier, in 1995 (they played it live most of that year). "lemmings" and "waggy" were recorded during the uranus sessions in 1995; those are the recordings available. "degenerate" was recorded during the buddha sessions in 1994. no other demos for those songs are known to exist.

the tracklist source i have for the tape is:

1.) boring
2.) emo
3.) apple shampoo
4.) sorry
5.) dammit dammit sonofabitch
6.) unreleased / unknown title (this was likely enthused)
7.) josie
8.) voyeur (original)
9.) untitled

beyond "enthused" on the wasting time EP, that short clip of "apple shampoo" on youtube, and what i remember from mark's car, that's all i've heard.

Most of those demos were also on the buddha promo tape, right?

4 minutes ago, asdf182 said:

Most of those demos were also on the buddha promo tape, right?

the tracks on the buddha promo tape (sent out for promotion by kung fu, as the story goes) are:

- "does my breath smell?" (short bus version)
- "princess leia" (1995 demo)
- "strung out (voyeur)" (youtube link posted above, mislabeled... this is a 1994 recording, probably from the short bus sessions)
- "wasting time" ( short bus version)

21 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

the tracks on the buddha promo tape (sent out for promotion by kung fu, as the story goes) are:

- "does my breath smell?" (short bus version)
- "princess leia" (1995 demo)
- "strung out (voyeur)" (youtube link posted above, mislabeled... this is a 1994 recording, probably from the short bus sessions)
- "wasting time" ( short bus version)

just another question, other than waggy, wrecked him and zulu, were any other songs recorded during the uranus sessions?

21 minutes ago, Jon Benjamin said:

None of the tracks on this are circulated. The Voyeur is a third one completely different from the two we have. 

c'mon man, you gotta share those demos :(