Dude Ranch Demo Tape?

bradsonemanband

7 minutes ago, thongrider said:

Dude Ranch sounds just like it should to me. The single mixes are pretty meh. 

i'd go the other way. the single mixes were the work of tom lord-alge and are, like all his punk work, stellar.

i prefer the "dammit" single version because, like the music video, it features scott's intro snare roll which was edited off the album version. but i'd take points off the "josie" single because it's a radio edit which trims the instrumental parts.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

bleed american (2001) has a couple stellar tracks. so does futures (2004). chase this light (2007) began a serious downward slide.

but clarity is their undisputed masterwork. 

Stay On My Side Tonight EP is also stellar, but I digress.

6 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

Stay On My Side Tonight EP is also stellar, but I digress.

I'll always view that EP as part of Futures because the demo session that leaked of Futures (not the demo sessions included with the Deluxe version of the album) included those songs as well.  To me, Futures and Stay On My Side Tonight are collectively my favorite release of theirs, with Clarity being a close second.

• Like 1

I would only really appreciate demo version of Dude Ranch song if they were complete alternate takes. I want to hear Dude Ranch mixed with Cheshire or Uranus styling. If they are just sloppier versions of Dude Ranch then I don't really have much interest in them at all, I'd rather just a remaster of Dude Ranch. 

19 hours ago, Speedo said:

If they are just sloppier versions of Dude Ranch then I don't really have much interest in them at all

from what i remember of hearing them with mark, they weren't sloppy. plus we have "enthused" and that's clearly a great take: just faster, with a uranus-style jeff forrest mix / mastering.

remember, this demo was either to impress the labels (shopping blink) or to impress trombino (shopping producers). either way, the band would have wanted a very tight recording to represent themselves.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Speedo said:

@daveyjones any idea why the drum roll wasn't included in the tracked version of Dammit? 

dunno. the roll isn't shown in the video, so maybe they didn't even have the radio mix at the time of shooting to use as a backing track. it was probably a two minute conversation with someone at the label and the band wasn't even involved would be my guess.

7 minutes ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

Speedo is a fucking moron. He isn't even aware there's an unreleased track on the demos, not sure why he's even posting in this topic

To make sure you don't try and lure the kids to send you more pictures.