Dude Ranch Demo Tape?

bradsonemanband

it would have to be mark's decision and he's the last person in the (original) band who i could see agreeing to that. he doesn't celebrate the band's past and i don't think he's ever spoke highly of that album. not to mention a tom lord alge remix would be really expensive. the label isn't going to pay for it and neither is mark. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, wannabe corn dog said:

it would have to be mark's decision and he's the last person in the (original) band who i could see agreeing to that. he doesn't celebrate the band's past and i don't think he's ever spoke highly of that album. not to mention a tom lord alge remix would be really expensive. the label isn't going to pay for it and neither is mark. 

facts. i wonder how much it'd cost to get lord-alge to remix something like that. guess there's not a huge incentive since it's a 20+ year old record

On 2/20/2020 at 2:19 PM, daveyjones said:

heard but not enjoyed. the demos are way better. the mix and mastering on dude ranch sucks. trombino was the wrong call. but, tom was in love with static prevails.

I read in an interview that Trombino was called in at the last minute to produce. Do you know by chance who they had lined up prior to him?

It's kind of silly really because they'd make a shit load for not too much up front cost and literally no effort on their part to do legacy things like that, get money out of the established fans, honour your past records, all without having to really do much yourself. it's kind of a no brainer. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Neal said:

mixing only? where are you getting that number from?

just google his rates. they've probably dropped significantly now that equipment is so cheap and accessible. but during the early 2000s, he was likely charging 8-10k per song for major label artists who pulled in big numbers. if you were one of the best, you could get away with it back then. 

i bet he could still charge just as much to remix dude ranch. it's still a platinum album by a major label band. 

32 minutes ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

Blink is famous for turning down common sense easy money, I'm not surprised at all given their track record. Thousands of fans would double dip and buy various bonus editions, CD, Vinyl etc

Oh really now? Please enlighten us on all of these easy money ventures that blink passed on lol

I'd buy a smiley mug over a $75 button down that looks like it came from Rural King... they def have plenty of missed opportunities in regards to merch recently. 

For Not Another X-mas song I would've been all over:
-Limited edition 7" vinyl
-Limited edition signed 7" vinyl
-Limited edition figurine set based off the "celebrity deathmatch" style claymation characters in the video

That right there would've gotten $150+ out of me in 2 seconds

-Cheshire Cat 25th Anniversary edition vinyl, CD, shirts, collectible lyric book with notes from the band on the song creation process, etc. (Literally do this with every album for every 5-10 year milestone)

-NINE signed vinyl, signed CDs, etc.

-Bring back some OG shirts, stickers (esp if you tie it into the "era" whose anniversary you are celebrating)

So much easy money to be made, but to be fair, the band may not want to do it, or it may get all "lawyer-y" in regards to rights on older stuff with Tom/Scott/record labels, etc.

1 hour ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

Dog Eating Dogs never being sold on physical media.

They should have sold another live album or 2, maybe a DVD/Blu Ray. Did they record the full Chicago 2001 show? 2009 would have been another opportunity, I bet they shot full concerts for the blinkumentary.

They haven't sold basic smiley logo t-shirts since 2009 (and even those were ugly), but they sell ones with weird artwork and currently sell one with the lyrics to Family Reunion.

They don't sell mugs or any glassware. 

For years the Mark, Tom, and Travis show not on streaming/digital platforms with no explanation.

All these ideas are standard, and I know blink isn't the only band who holds back, but if they have material sitting on hard drives, might as well release it. 

This absolutely does not support your “blink is famous for turning down easy money” claims lol. I’m sure they’re really sweating it now and can’t stop thinking about how much more money they’d have if they only had official blink coffee mugs, or maybe it’s the fractions of pennies they missed out on not having MTATS on Spotify until now 

21 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

I'd buy a smiley mug over a $75 button down that looks like it came from Rural King... they def have plenty of missed opportunities in regards to merch recently. 

For Not Another X-mas song I would've been all over:
-Limited edition 7" vinyl
-Limited edition signed 7" vinyl
-Limited edition figurine set based off the "celebrity deathmatch" style claymation characters in the video

That right there would've gotten $150+ out of me in 2 seconds

-Cheshire Cat 25th Anniversary edition vinyl, CD, shirts, collectible lyric book with notes from the band on the song creation process, etc. (Literally do this with every album for every 5-10 year milestone)

-NINE signed vinyl, signed CDs, etc.

-Bring back some OG shirts, stickers (esp if you tie it into the "era" whose anniversary you are celebrating)

So much easy money to be made, but to be fair, the band may not want to do it, or it may get all "lawyer-y" in regards to rights on older stuff with Tom/Scott/record labels, etc.

I wouldn’t care about any of that stuff. Most people probably won’t either. If you want some blink swag it’s out there. You guys are acting like if they just sold a coffee mug too that it would have taken them to the next tax bracket or something. Jesus Christ 

20 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

I wouldn’t care about any of that stuff. Most people probably won’t either. If you want some blink swag it’s out there.

What stuff are you buying currently from the blink store? If your answer is nothing, then your take here is irrelevant as you weren't in the target demographic to begin with. Who in the hell wouldn't want a 25th Anniversary Cheshire Cat vinyl with new liner notes from the band reminiscing about that time period? I'd buy 2!

• Like 2

i do wonder how much say blink has in their UMG catalog now that they’re on a whole different label. how does that work for artists? i know blink had a fair amount of creative control to begin with but after they’ve left the label can they still sanction reissues and whatnot?

16 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

What stuff are you buying currently from the blink store? If your answer is nothing, then your take here is irrelevant as you weren't in the target demographic to begin with. Who in the hell wouldn't want a 25th Anniversary Cheshire Cat vinyl with new liner notes from the band reminiscing about that time period? I'd buy 2!

How’s my take irrelevant? I’m not ordering anything from their website now and a coffee mug wouldn’t change that 

40 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Because you aren't buying anything regardless... Is there anything they could add that would entice you? 

Yes. A blink-182 bong. So let’s all just talk about how much smarter and richer blink would be if they catered to each of our own personal wants and needs 

• Haha 4