Blink Live ( TwitchCon Full Show )28/09/19

madgaz182

I think switching between Rock Show and First Date and replacing every single from self titled except I Miss You is a good start. I like that they still play Dammit. In that case they only have four obligatory songs. Why not bring back stftk? They could also play different Nine songs every night if need be. I think Dave is right though. Promoting an album in 2019 seems pointless. I think it's all about what's happening before release. After that it's over. I bet the album will be forgotten soon. 

This is not the gig to be having a set list meltdown over guys. This is some Gaming festival show that was tacked on at the end of a long tour. They weren’t going to get together and rehearse a new set including a bunch of nine songs for this 45 minute show.  I’m 100% on team change up the set list and include new songs when the new tour starts but this show it was fine. Should’ve had BIOMY and IRWIHY in there since they have played them lately. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

finally watched it. I thought Matt sounded pretty good. I thought Mark was the one who sounded off in that song specifically.

I didn't watch the entire set but I skipped around. What bugged me was Matt playing the intro to WMAA... he's playing over a backing track of the riff. You can hear them overlapping. Ugh.

Anyone who thinks Matt sounds good has selective hearing. He literally shouts songs off key.

He is horrible.

• Like 3
  • Crab 3

A lot of you are super delusional. You treat blink as if they are still trendsetters and mean anything to current pop culture. They don’t anymore.

they are quite literally the old band that gets tossed on “kids react to” YouTube videos where little kids say their parents listen to them and are shocked they are still alive and making music.

the setlist is what it is because they are now the nostalgia band that tours every so often for you and you’re friends to feel younger again. Sure they make new music, and a single or two will creep into the setlist along the way, but that’s it, the crowd they market to doesn’t really care about the new shit like the relatively small hardcore fan base that does.

my group of friends went to see them this summer just because they were playing enema, if it was all new shit none of them would of went, and when new shit was played they all shut off the show until something familiar came on. 

To think you’re ever going to get a set that you like is insane, it’s always going to be that setlist with some alterations along the way but basically will stay intact as is.

to get a set list you want means they’d have to start playing clubs and small venues and really shrink their business as a whole, which they have no reason to, they make cake with that setlist and it never fails. Why break the machine that prints money?

• Like 5

It's hard to even fathom when you're a part of the "hardcore group", but I'd bet ~80% of most people at the shows have never listened to Buddha/Cheshire/Dude Ranch. Blink started with EOTS for most, and even if you look at their setlists around that time (1999-2001), they weren't even playing a lot of the "old" stuff then. 

I was at a show in 2016 when they played M&Ms (may have been the last time they played it), and it was crickets. At the recent EOTS20 shows, NO ONE knows Wasting Time.

Obviously most of us would love a drastic setlist change, even if it meant a series of smaller shows occasionally. But it's not happening on these booked gigs and large venue tours. I also have said numerous times I believe Mark severely underestimates how much people enjoy new blink, and wish they'd embrace Skiba-era more.

Until then, it's literally like booking the Backstreet Boys. People want to sing along with their childhood, sprinkle a few new ones in there to let people know you're still making music.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Njdevils26 said:

A lot of you are super delusional. You treat blink as if they are still trendsetters and mean anything to current pop culture. They don’t anymore.

they are quite literally the old band that gets tossed on “kids react to” YouTube videos where little kids say their parents listen to them and are shocked they are still alive and making music.

the setlist is what it is because they are now the nostalgia band that tours every so often for you and you’re friends to feel younger again. Sure they make new music, and a single or two will creep into the setlist along the way, but that’s it, the crowd they market to doesn’t really care about the new shit like the relatively small hardcore fan base that does.

my group of friends went to see them this summer just because they were playing enema, if it was all new shit none of them would of went, and when new shit was played they all shut off the show until something familiar came on. 

To think you’re ever going to get a set that you like is insane, it’s always going to be that setlist with some alterations along the way but basically will stay intact as is.

to get a set list you want means they’d have to start playing clubs and small venues and really shrink their business as a whole, which they have no reason to, they make cake with that setlist and it never fails. Why break the machine that prints money?

Then why even bother to do new albums?

Just be a tribute band like Billy Joel.

This is also nonsense. Weezer is in the same boat and are now so well known for that Toto song. This defeatist mindset is ridiculous. Also, no one is saying they have to remove all the hits.

19 minutes ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

Just be a tribute band like Billy Joel.

This is also nonsense. Weezer is in the same boat and are now so well known for that Toto song. This defeatist mindset is ridiculous. Also, no one is saying they have to remove all the hits.

It’s not a defeatist attitude at all, it’s just what it is.

why do they still make music? Because they are musicians and it’s what they do. They know nothing will ever match up to what they’ve done and not as many people care about it but for the people that want new music it’s there, but again, their bread and butter is the people that go for the nostalgia shows. They don’t make any money off of the new albums compared to that. It’s pretty easy to understand.

people that want new music get their new albums, and the people that actually generate revenue for the band get the concert with all the hits that sells out huge venues.

but fuck them for not playing fentoozler live right?

• Like 2

Blink is in a weird spot where they have pulled fans from more than a couple decades. The new stuff doesnt appeal to those of us likely in our late 30s or 40s that grew up with them pre-EOTS. The majority base of fans I would guess are most familiar with the 99-2003 era with their big 3 albums. Then there are those fans who have recently discovered Blink and may be into more of the new stuff. 

So its going to be impossible to put a list together that pleases everyone. When i was at the EOTS show a few weeks back, they played Wasting Time acoustic. For me it was the highlight of the show, but it appeared lots of people were meh about it. 

• Like 5

Blink needs to decide if they want to be a nostalgia act an bank on their past success, or if they want to keep progressing and developing as musicians...

Right now they half ass in both departments. They piss of old fans for not playing more deep cuts, and they piss of new fans with not playing(nor writing) new material themselves.

Its like a huge mediocrity fest. They either commit to still being an active band, writing and touring new material, trying to get new fans in and keep old fans invested or they search themselves a different creative outlet (simple creatures, alk3, random hiphop, ava) and regularly tour their old albums for the money.

I dont get why they invest as much money in having new music out without planing on relying on it. By the time they'll be able to tour this new album, everybody but the diehards will have forgottwn about its existence and would be pissed again if they hear a new song at a show.... Why make a huge nostalgia tour on a twenty year old record and finish it with the release of a new album without any plans to support said record with a tour right after?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I think thats what frustrates people. They say in interviews they dont want to be a band that relies on their past success and want to grow and evolve, but at the same time mark states he doesnt want ti change the setlist because people want to hear the hits? 

Decide who you want to be ffs

1 minute ago, Neal said:

I think thats what frustrates people. They say in interviews they dont want to be a band that relies on their past success and want to grow and evolve, but at the same time mark states he doesnt want ti change the setlist because people want to hear the hits? 

Decide who you want to be ffs

I honeslty think touring and being in the studio are very different for them. Two completely different creatures. I would imagine creating new music gives them that creative outlet, while touring gives them that energetic connection with their fans that only people who love performing relish. 

5 minutes ago, Sirwesker said:

I think its important not to project too much of your own thoughts onto all of their fans. Music is very subjective and album to album, song to song, people like and dislike different things. The band are doing what they want to do. Tour at their leisure and make new music. 

Yeah i speak for myself here, while Thinking thats where others people criticism comes from...

If they want to tour their hits and shit out a new record annualy, so be it. But at least be upfront about it and stop the lies. Poor mark and travis had to lie for so many years for tom, according to them.

Seems like they like to string their fans along on false promises just as much by themselves

2 hours ago, Njdevils26 said:

yup. next stop is the indian gaming circuit. or doing cruises, like 80s hair metal bands and weezer.

1 hour ago, Ry-Bread said:

It's hard to even fathom when you're a part of the "hardcore group", but I'd bet ~80% of most people at the shows have never listened to Buddha/Cheshire/Dude Ranch. Blink started with EOTS for most, and even if you look at their setlists around that time (1999-2001), they weren't even playing a lot of the "old" stuff then. 

I was at a show in 2016 when they played M&Ms (may have been the last time they played it), and it was crickets.

true. and true.

1 hour ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

creative people gotta make shit, even if they do it poorly. it's something you really can't turn off.

1 hour ago, Sirwesker said:

The new stuff doesn't appeal to those of us likely in our late 30s or 40s that grew up with them pre-EOTS.

truth. preach!

50 minutes ago, Neal said:

Blink needs to decide if they want to be a nostalgia act an bank on their past success, or if they want to keep progressing and developing as musicians...Right now they half ass in both departments.

this sounds about right to me.