If you could turn back time, who would you rather they had replace Tom

madgaz182

I’m not Matt bashing as I love his work outside of blink I just don’t think he suits this style compared to his other projects , don’t get me wrong he has some killer tracks with blink, but I can’t help but wonder who else would’ve been a great fit given now the direction blink have taken 

I always wondered how Jared Reddick from bowling for soup would’ve worked 

what’s your guys opinions of people you would’ve loved to see fill toms shoes 

14 minutes ago, madgaz182 said:

I always wondered how Jared Reddick from bowling for soup would’ve worked 

I can tell you how that would of worked, fucking terribly. 

I'd say Alex Gaskarth would of worked pretty well though, suits the music a bit more and knows how to write a decent hook.

Is also streets ahead of Skiba as a guitarist and a live vocalist.

Just now, YANGGANG_2020 said:

This is just settling because Matt has been that boring.

Alex would get old really quick, but does bring out a confident Mark.

I'd go Serj Tankien from system of a down or Lil Wayne.

I really don't know anyone that would replace Tom all that well. I'm not a goant Skiba fan but, honestly, he's about as good as anybody.

I always thought Justin Pierre would've been perfect. Much higher voice that Mark, very talented songwriter and vocalist, great live performer, is already friends with Mark and has had a previous working relationship with him, not so well known to the wider world that it'd be weird but those who care about pop punk would've mostly approved. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I still remember before Tom got replaced Ghent, Ghent's brother and I had a drunken debate about replacing Tom.  It was kind of in that dead period of inactivity before the Musink fest was even announced.  

I think my vote was for Jordan Pundik, with obviously some random guitar player.  I also think Mike Herrera from MXPX would have fit really well if blink wanted to keep a certain sound. 

17 minutes ago, Speedo said:

I really don't know anyone that would replace Tom all that well. I'm not a goant Skiba fan but, honestly, he's about as good as anybody.

There honestly isn't a good fit.  Skiba was a decent choice but hasn't panned out great, the problem is blink was so distinct from other bands hard shoes to fill.

• Like 2

In all seriousness, quoting marks words: blink 182 was always mark and tom. That isn't possible anymore, so whoever they choose as a fill in, it would be wierd. 

I'd love a justin pierre/mark/travis side project or just a propper mark/skiba/travis side project. I'm sure they could put out something decent without the pressure of the blink name tag.

The blink 182 brand should just be put to rest. 

On the other hand they already tarnished their legacy enough so they might just go crazy and collaborate with whoever they want to

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I think Skiba was and still is the correct choice. What wasn't the correct choice was how they utilised him. They shouldn't have hired co-writers. They should've just let Skiba make his stamp on the band. And although I think Nine is a very good album, it's still annoying that they don't utilise Skiba nearly as much as they should and that they still use co-writers to help them out.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I was and still am happy with Skiba. But I really did think about Alex Gaskarth back then. And I’m really digging everything by Simple Creatures. So I’m cool with having both. 

One of my favorite songwriters is Ryan Ross but I don’t know how that would blend into the blink universe, even though he grew up playing blink covers. 

Or a collab style record like Travis did with his solo album. Someone different on every song. I think when Mark was talking about him doing a solo record, that was kind of the idea. Like, I could see Tom, Matt, Alex, Feldy, Patrick Stump, Brendan Urie, etc all over something like that. But one name I DIDN’T think of, was Lil Uzi Vert or Yelawolf lol

Matt would never have been my first pick, or probably even on my radar. My first instinct would be to find someone with a high, nasally voice like Tom, so someone like Matt wouldn't even cross my mind.

With that said, now that we have Matt, I wouldn't have it any other way.

But for discussion's sake... maybe Jordan Pundik.