Found Buddha tape Mark gave me in 08/1994

ChuckDee

Going through old box of 7"s and found the original Buddha tape Mark gave me in Aug of 1994 when they were looking for a drummer.  Tried out with them at Tom's parents house but my style was more like Tre (fast 1/8th notes) than super fast 1/4 notes that Scott played.  Didn't work out.  

Wonder what it's worth.  Guess I'll sell it on ebay.

Also have 1st pressing of Descendents "Fat" 7" ep and a bunch of other 80s punk records.

• Like 3

It very much did happen and there was nothing special about it, I flat out couldn't play that fast and it didn't go well.  Not surprising since I was obsessed with Jawbreaker and stuff like that.  I never liked any of the Fat bands and didn't play like that at all, so it was never going to work.  

I had just moved back to San Diego and was playing with a guitarist named Arrow (IIRC) that was a friend of theirs.  It was either at a side-stage show at Soma or a show at Soul Kitchen that Arrow introduced me to Mark, he gave me the tape and I had a try-out at Tom's parents house a few days later.  I really was too old for them.  I'm 50 now, I think I'm three or four years older than Mark who I think was a few years older than Tom.

I never "knew" them nor was I "friends" with them, I never thought it was a big deal.  IMO the tape was the best thing they ever did. The only real motivation for me to be in their band at that time were all of their hot little groupies.

I played in a bunch of local bands, but none of them amounted to anything.  I did know Davey Tiltwheel, but everyone knew Davey.  Haven't seen him in over a decade.  I can post pics of the tape later or tomorrow.

No offense but DaveyJones is wrong and he said he didn't see Blink until 1995.  How would he know about the tapes the band sold in 1994?

There were definitely multiple runs of tapes.  The black and white tape is probably a 1995 run, this red tape is from 1994 before DaveyJones ever saw the band.  Remember, in just a matter of months Blink went from playing small sideshows to playing Main stage shows.  Len Soma had every person entering his club name the band they were there to see and that's how the bands got paid and how they moved up to mainstage shows.  The color inserts from 1994 were printed on a inkjet printer and not a professional offset printer.

Nothing like people who were not there in 1994 rewriting the history they weren't a part of.  Davey Tiltwheel could verify me, and probably Jay from Spazzboy he was around back then too.  I think Jay worked at Soma.  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, ChuckDee said:

No offense but DaveyJones is wrong and he said he didn't see Blink until 1995.  How would he know about the tapes the band sold in 1994?

There were definitely multiple runs of tapes.  The black and white tape is probably a 1995 run, this red tape is from 1994 before DaveyJones ever saw the band.  Remember, in just a matter of months Blink went from playing small sideshows to playing Main stage shows.  Len Soma had every person entering his club name the band they were there to see and that's how the bands got paid and how they moved up to mainstage shows.  The color inserts from 1994 were printed on a inkjet printer and not a professional offset printer.

Nothing like people who were not there in 1994 rewriting the history they weren't a part of.  Davey Tiltwheel could verify me, and probably Jay from Spazzboy he was around back then too.  I think Jay worked at Soma.  

But did you eat lasagna with marks mom?

• Haha 6