Found Buddha tape Mark gave me in 08/1994

ChuckDee

6 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

@ChuckDee is your tape red or is that just the angle? Does yours have the letter with it?

It's the original red tape with the color photo copy sleeve and the foldout insert.

My real name is Michael and I played in Jon Cougar Concentration Camp from 1995 through 1997.  I replaced John from the Neighbors who was filling in w JCCC after they kicked out Travis M.  I played 2 songs on the self-titled CD, all songs on Victoria's secret sauce, all of Cold Piss, all of Til Niagra Falls, and a bunch of other comps and splits.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/686650-Jon-Cougar-Concentration-Camp

That's me on the far left at Ocean Beach in 1995 with Chris, Clint, and Travis S. after we played an in-store.  Being written out of that band's history because I quit probably makes me overly defensive when discussing the past.  You google that band and my picture comes up even though I somehow never existed.

I tried out for Blink in Aug 1994 because I was 25, bandless, and already a full-on black-out alcoholic.  I wasn't making rational decisions, JCCC was faster than my drumming style and I was in that band for over 2 years.

It's ridiculous someone who wasn't there in 94 is claiming to be the "expert" but this is the age of Trump where facts are irrelevant.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

@ChuckDee everyone who comes here claiming they were around in the early days gets met with skepticism, as @daveyjones can attest to. And you're not just here to contribute to the community as Davey was, your very first post was an attempt to make money, so yes, you're going to get grilled.

Davey Jones is the one who's full of crap and he admits he didn't see them until 1995.  That's your expert of revisionist history.  Some guy who probably spent too much on a 2nd or 3rd gen tape running around the internet claiming bullshit he knows nothing about.

I didn't see Blink or tryout for the band until 1994, the difference is I'm not running around the internet claiming to be an expert or to know anything about them before summer 1994.

@ChuckDee hey there’s no need to start a war on this, we’re all hardcore blink fans and if you have info to share from that time period, it is much appreciated!

Davey never claimed to be an “expert”, he is just an old school fan from that time period who was close to the band and is kind enough to share tons of cool stuff here. He’s a great resource for “the early days”, which is rare to find someone from that time period on blink forums. (In fact, you would be like the third or fourth I’ve seen lol)

So instead of grilling back and forth, by all means present the information from your perspective and maybe we can all learn something. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Elisa said:

That's so cool man! 

I see that Dangerous Dave was in your band. I met him a few times when he used to play with The Queers. 

Dave was a nice kid in 96-97 when I knew him, he joined just outta high school and we went on tour in June 96.  Clint and Travis S couldn't tour because they had kids.

6 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

@ChuckDee hey there’s no need to start a war on this, we’re all hardcore blink fans and if you have info to share from that time period, it is much appreciated!

Davey never claimed to be an “expert”, he is just an old school fan from that time period who was close to the band and is kind enough to share tons of cool stuff here. He’s a great resource for “the early days”, which is rare to find someone from that time period on blink forums. (In fact, you would be like the third or fourth I’ve seen lol)

So instead of grilling back and forth, by all means present the information from your perspective and maybe we can all learn something. 

He is posting photos of the original red tape with FAKE on it in big black letters.  Fuck that, he's full of shit.

What do you wanna know?

16 hours ago, ChuckDee said:

There were definitely multiple runs of tapes.  The black and white tape is probably a 1995 run, this red tape is from 1994 before DaveyJones ever saw the band.  Remember, in just a matter of months Blink went from playing small sideshows to playing Main stage shows.  Len Soma had every person entering his club name the band they were there to see and that's how the bands got paid and how they moved up to mainstage shows.  The color inserts from 1994 were printed on a inkjet printer and not a professional offset printer.

i'm perfectly happy to be proved wrong. my info comes from pat secor, whom i corresponded with. he said there was only one run of tapes, about 1,000. in 1994. no tapes were pressed in 1995.

the inserts were done on a color copier at kinko's, per mark's comments and anne's photos. not inkjet. and every example i've seen was a color copy insert. in 1994 on a inkjet printer... that would have taken weeks and weeks to print and inkjet ink was even more crazy expensive then that it is now.

i'm not doubting the veracity of your account, @ChuckDee. it's possible the red tapes were a smaller run, given out to folks like you, rather than sold. and it would make sense to do one or three-offs on a home inkjet if they were out of inserts.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, ChuckDee said:

My real name is Michael and I played in Jon Cougar Concentration Camp from 1995 through 1997.

you're mike mcauliffe? i still have 'Til Niagara Falls... love that record. i saw JCCC at SOMA a few times.

i don't really understand the hostility from all these posts. i relied on pat secor for my info, and i try to steer collectors clear of fakes. that's it. if we have detailed information from you that clears up the record on the red variant tape, mike then that's terrific.

could you does us a favor and post a lot more photos, at better quality?

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

i'm perfectly happy to be proved wrong. my info comes from pat secor, whom i corresponded with. he said there was only one run of tapes, about 1,000. in 1994. no tapes were pressed in 1995.

the inserts were done on a color copier at kinko's, per mark's comments and anne's photos. not inkjet. and every example i've seen was a color copy insert. in 1994 on a inkjet printer... that would have taken weeks and weeks to print and inkjet ink was even more crazy expensive then that it is now.

i'm not doubting the veracity of your account, @ChuckDee. it's possible the red tapes were a smaller run, given out to folks like you, rather than sold. and it would make sense to do one or three-offs on a home inkjet if they were out of inserts.

Yeah that's me.  I take no joy in talking about my music past, I don't do the internet, and writing about it is kind of a trigger which is why I overreact and act crazy, I'm sorry.  

You are right, the insert is a color photocopy not an inkjet, I misspoke. Sorry

I can post more pics.  Do I need to put them on a photo site to post here?

@ChuckDee yeah imgur or some other site to host the images and then you can copy the link here to embed.

So what versions of Buddha are there according to you? Or do you just know the one (red) Mark personally gave you? 

Discogs had a clear with white sticker, and blue one listed at one point. (There were 4 versions listed there)

also, @ChuckDee maybe you can clear this up...

"T.K.O from toyko," "idiot" and "exchanged" are both on til' niagara falls and carter peace mission's ladies, ladies ladies from a year later. what's the deal with the authorship on those songs... was CPM davey a co-writer? it reminds me of the tiltwheel song "blink" and blink's "does my breath smell?" being cousins.