Found Buddha tape Mark gave me in 08/1994

ChuckDee

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

also, @ChuckDee maybe you can clear this up...

"T.K.O from toyko," "idiot" and "exchanged" are both on til' niagara falls and carter peace mission's ladies, ladies ladies from a year later. what's the deal with the authorship on those songs... was CPM davey a co-writer? it reminds me of the tiltwheel song "blink" and blink's "does my breath smell?" being cousins.

They were CPM songs that were, I believe, unrecorded by them at the time and they had broken up.  Chris played drums for them for a little while, I think their drummer went away to college.  They sang backup on a few JCCC recordings including Niagra.

We (JCCC) had signed to BYO but didn't have enough songs for the album so we did those with CPM's permission.  I think they got back together later and recorded them on their own album.

Sorry again about before, I've taken my meds so I'll be good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

per pat secor, the white label tape is definitely a bootleg.

That makes sense.  I think you would only use labels if you were duping your own tapes on a home stereo but I could be wrong.

The whole reason to make tapes instead of records was that professional tape makers would do smaller runs because you didn't have all the set up costs.  You could easily buy runs of 100 or 200 tapes with the printing on the tape itself included which is why I seriously doubt there was one run of 1000 tapes.  It would make way more sense to get 1000 records pressed than to get a single run of 1000 tapes.

1 minute ago, daveyjones said:

@ChuckDee that's the insert alright. there are two versions; one with a blurry performance shot by kerry key, and the other is the goofy band shot with the fence.

what color paper is your lyrics sheet?

Off-white, kinda greyish.  It's back in the box, I'll have to dig it out again to be sure.  It's thicker than regular paper.

Thanks for the postimage site.

I'm going to take photos of all this stuff with my wifes camera.  I'm selling my 1961 Slingerland set and the 1977 set I played on Niagra Falls.  I've got JCCC posters and stuff that probably aren't worth anything.  I don't know.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ChuckDee said:

Those are from my phone, I tried to minimize the reflection from the metallic red on tape.

given your pics and your backstory, i'd say the discogs listing should be amended to include the translucent red tape. what do you think @boxelder? the reason the other listings were taken out is the number of tape runs cannot be confirmed, and that affects the way people price items on discogs. so if we don't have any information on the run amount, one shouldn't be made up, but we should list the red tape as authentic.

BTW the lyric sheets for the mass black tape w/ white text run from 1994 (the one pat secor says was ~1,000) were on lavender paper. here is mark assembling them in the spring of 1994, and a pile of the tapes on the floor (both pics are from anne hoppus's book):

blink-buddha-tapes-mark-inserts.jpg

blink-buddha-tapes-pile.jpg

what you've told us suggests that mark gave you a buddha of a shorter run with impromptu inserts. i would think these were duped in smaller amounts, ad hoc, for say, securing a new drummer in your case or booking shows or for friends or what have you.

the main run of ~1,000 as shown in the pictures which pat financed were the ones sold at shows.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, ChuckDee said:

It would make way more sense to get 1000 records pressed than to get a single run of 1000 tapes.

oh they weren't manufactured all at once. both tom and mark are quoted as saying they would go to the plant and pick up batches at a time as they were made. pat just said that, in total, about ~1,000 black / white tapes were produced. anne elaborates on this in her book.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daveyjones said:

oh they weren't manufactured all at once. both tom and mark are quoted as saying they would go to the plant and pick up batches at a time as they were made. pat just said that, in total, about ~1,000 black / white tapes were produced. anne elaborates on this in her book.

Oh, Okay.  Red was probably just a run that the manufacturers had in stock.

24 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Here is what looks like another “red” one:And @daveyjones looking back at some of the notes I had on these, you had mentioned seeing “red ones in the wild” (which were assumed fake at the time) so it does like there was some batch of these made.

yup. it was just my supposition, based on talking with pat, that these were renegade dupes. but @ChuckDee's story suggests they were legit from the plant.