Found Buddha tape Mark gave me in 08/1994

ChuckDee

if anyone wants to read about the buddha tape drama that went down with pat secor and led to the 1998 re-release on kung fu records, check these out:

https://www.eastbayexpress.com/oakland/planet-clair/Content?oid=1066056

https://yerdoingreat.wordpress.com/2013/06/04/how-blink-182-screwed-my-friend-out-of-over-500000/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

if anyone wants to read about the buddha tape drama that went down with pat secor and led to the 1998 re-release on kung fu records, check these out:

https://www.eastbayexpress.com/oakland/planet-clair/Content?oid=1066056

https://yerdoingreat.wordpress.com/2013/06/04/how-blink-182-screwed-my-friend-out-of-over-500000/

Honestly just sounds like sour grapes to me. They really don’t owe him anything.

15 hours ago, ChuckDee said:

It's the original red tape with the color photo copy sleeve and the foldout insert.

My real name is Michael and I played in Jon Cougar Concentration Camp from 1995 through 1997.  I replaced John from the Neighbors who was filling in w JCCC after they kicked out Travis M.  I played 2 songs on the self-titled CD, all songs on Victoria's secret sauce, all of Cold Piss, all of Til Niagra Falls, and a bunch of other comps and splits.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/686650-Jon-Cougar-Concentration-Camp

That's me on the far left at Ocean Beach in 1995 with Chris, Clint, and Travis S. after we played an in-store.  Being written out of that band's history because I quit probably makes me overly defensive when discussing the past.  You google that band and my picture comes up even though I somehow never existed.

I tried out for Blink in Aug 1994 because I was 25, bandless, and already a full-on black-out alcoholic.  I wasn't making rational decisions, JCCC was faster than my drumming style and I was in that band for over 2 years.

It's ridiculous someone who wasn't there in 94 is claiming to be the "expert" but this is the age of Trump where facts are irrelevant.

That's crazy! 

4 minutes ago, Live Fast Die Fun said:

When we’re they trying new drummers out before the EOTS demos era? They were with Scott til then , also Scott is on the pic of the tape shown.... I don’t buy this. 

no, it's true. scott himself has confirmed this. raynor's family moved to reno in 1994, and for a short while, mike krull was their drummer. that was the tryout that @ChuckDee of jon cougar concentration camp went for in the summer of 1994.

https://www.amazon.com/Blink-182-Joe-Shooman/dp/1906191107/

from the shooman book, page 24, scott says: "Just after signing the [Cargo] deal, my family had to move. I stayed one last summer, living with my sister, in order to rehearse for the Cheshire Cat recording session which, at the time, was to be my last performance with the band."

although some of the facts in shooman's book are incorrect, the quotes from raynor are from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

and i don't know what you're talking about with the "EOTS demos era." travis joined blink in may of 1998 and the band didn't demo the enema tracks at DML in escondido until the fall of 1998. 

16 minutes ago, Live Fast Die Fun said:

When we’re they trying new drummers out before the EOTS demos era? They were with Scott til then , also Scott is on the pic of the tape shown.... I don’t buy this. 

In 1994 when Scott moved away.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 10:24 PM, daveyjones said:

no, it's true. scott himself has confirmed this. raynor's family moved to reno in 1994, and for a short while, mike krull was their drummer. that was the tryout that @ChuckDee of jon cougar concentration camp went for in the summer of 1994.

https://www.amazon.com/Blink-182-Joe-Shooman/dp/1906191107/

from the shooman book, page 24, scott says: "Just after signing the [Cargo] deal, my family had to move. I stayed one last summer, living with my sister, in order to rehearse for the Cheshire Cat recording session which, at the time, was to be my last performance with the band."

although some of the facts in shooman's book are incorrect, the quotes from raynor are from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

and i don't know what you're talking about with the "EOTS demos era." travis joined blink in may of 1998 and the band didn't demo the enema tracks at DML in escondido until the fall of 1998. 

Was this in TFBYM? I haven’t read that book since I was in Grade 10 like 15 years ago. 

1 hour ago, Live Fast Die Fun said:

Was this in TFBYM? I haven’t read that book since I was in Grade 10 like 15 years ago. 

the book he's referring to is joe shooman's 2010 biography blink-182: the bands the breakdown the return. it's absolute shit read -- shooman exhaustively covers everything, including single releases, and rarely adds anything of note. but it's worth it alone for the scott interview, which is really enlightening. it's a decade after his firing, and he has a lot of interesting perspective about it:

With an indie label there was less pressure and more creative freedom due in part to the relatively minimal financial investment on the part of the executives. At the major, the initial investment was a lot higher so there was more pressure and less creative freedom. Which is okay if you are happy with where the executives want to take you. However, I was always only half on board with the decision to go to the major. The fact that Epitaph wanted to sign us still stands as one of the greatest achievements of my life. I really wanted to go with them, but being in a band is about compromise. Looking back, I mark the decision to go to the major over Epitaph as the point where I was only half-invested in blink. I mean, I was intellectually invested, I recognised it as a smart move financially. But it's like that song says, 'I Left My Heart in San Francisco'. I left my heart in the office at Epitaph. After that compromise I found it difficult to make further ones, and I felt like I was asked to make a lot. Eventually, there was not enough of my heart in the band to justify  sticking around. I backed away, I was dead weight.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, boxelder said:

...and rarely adds anything of note. but it's worth it alone for the scott interview, which is really enlightening.

yup. it's worth buying simply for the scott raynor interview material, imo. the rest of the book adds nothing new (and is riddled with errors).

• Like 1