Seinfeld > Friends, and every other sitcom ever. Fuckers.

Aria

1 hour ago, Russel Coight said:

Parks and rec made me hate Aziz. Jesus fuck. I can’t think of a worse tv character than the one he played. Hated it.

I think you just hate Americana, he is like the epitome of a US millennial, unless you just think he overdid it, which I can understand. 

I didn't like him after a while, it was hard to believe, but Goddam did I love Jean Ralphio and his family lol

7 minutes ago, YANGGANG_2020 said:

I think you just hate Americana, he is like the epitome of a US millennial, unless you just think he overdid it, which I can understand. 

I didn't like him after a while, it was hard to believe, but Goddam did I love Jean Ralphio and his family lol

Yeah I think he overdid it that’s what I meant. It just became super annoying after a while, not necessarily the situations but the way he played them. I have only watched the show through once might like his character better second time.

Him tweeting about his car crash was great I remember enjoying that part.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Yeah I think he overdid it that’s what I meant. It just became super annoying after a while, not necessarily the situations but the way he played them. I have only watched the show through once might like his character better second time.

Him tweeting about his car crash was great I remember enjoying that part.

Yeah it worked for some episodes like him trying to camp or annoy Ron but then it just got to be "okay we get it, you're tech savvy and into tech"

16 hours ago, Patient #48273 said:

"Laughs per minute" is definitely not the sole metric I would use for ranking sitcoms.

True, but I'd also argue that those shows tend to more often than not have more enjoyable storylines.   Listen, I love Seinfeld, and sitcoms today would not be what they are without it.  But in my opinion it has been one-upped by many shows in both the humor and stories since it has ended.   For me the storylines of those other shows could be so much more enticing and exploitable for great humor, especially for a show like Community which had so much freedom to just derail and do different crazy shit each week, granted it didn't always work, and season 4 when Dan Harmon was removed was a big dip in the quality of the show, but overall Community probably is my favorite sitcom as things stand now.

And I definitely agree that Aziz was the weakest link of Parks and Rec.  I'm sure he got a few laughs out of me, but there is no moments that stands out from him, when conversely I can think of great hilarious moments from pretty much every other character.

15 hours ago, M!ke said:

True, but I'd also argue that those shows tend to more often than not have more enjoyable storylines.   Listen, I love Seinfeld, and sitcoms today would not be what they are without it.  But in my opinion it has been one-upped by many shows in both the humor and stories since it has ended.   For me the storylines of those other shows could be so much more enticing and exploitable for great humor, especially for a show like Community which had so much freedom to just derail and do different crazy shit each week, granted it didn't always work, and season 4 when Dan Harmon was removed was a big dip in the quality of the show, but overall Community probably is my favorite sitcom as things stand now.

And I definitely agree that Aziz was the weakest link of Parks and Rec.  I'm sure he got a few laughs out of me, but there is no moments that stands out from him, when conversely I can think of great hilarious moments from pretty much every other character.

Me and you never have similar opinions but Community is one of my favourite shows of all time, even with all of it's issues in the latter half. Their worst episodes still do more for me than most sitcoms. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

A lot of people in North America revere British humour, but the fact that so many Brits love Friends, but Seinfeld never made much of a splash over there tells me that there's nothing special or sophisticated at all about their sense of humour.

It's not special or sophisticated, it's just different. I watch a lot of US television and I like comedy from both sides, but stuff like Seinfeld has just never appealed to me. or the office or parks and rec, for that matter. but I fucking love shows like Brooklyn 99 for example. I like my comedy kinda silly, I guess but Community has always been a mark of quality to me. works on various levels. 

41 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

A lot of people in North America revere British humour, but the fact that so many Brits love Friends, but Seinfeld never made much of a splash over there tells me that there's nothing special or sophisticated at all about their sense of humour.

What from a few people on a message board? Done a survey have you? 🙄

9 minutes ago, Kay said:

It's not special or sophisticated, it's just different. I watch a lot of US television and I like comedy from both sides, but stuff like Seinfeld has just never appealed to me. or the office or parks and rec, for that matter. but I fucking love shows like Brooklyn 99 for example. I like my comedy kinda silly, I guess but Community has always been a mark of quality to me. works on various levels. 

Yeah, I'm not saying British humour is bad/worse than North American humour, I'm just saying a lot of people here in NA think it's so much better, but like you said, it's just different.

3 minutes ago, Scott. said:

What from a few people on a message board? Done a survey have you? 🙄

You know that ratings data are publicly available, right? I'm not just basing this on what I've read here. It's a fact that Friends was huge in the UK and Seinfeld never got nearly as much attention/acclaim.

3 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

Yeah, I'm not saying British humour is bad/worse than North American humour, I'm just saying a lot of people here in NA think it's so much better, but like you said, it's just different.

You know that ratings data are publicly available, right? I'm not just basing this on what I've read here. It's a fact that Friends was huge in the UK and Seinfeld never got nearly as much attention/acclaim.

Link me. 

tbf I’ve never seen Seinfeld on tv over here while Friends is on two channels and pretty much all day.

i don’t think British comedies are better than American for what it’s worth. People think the two countries are similar but we’re not, we’re completely different. 

2 minutes ago, Scott. said:

Link me. 

tbf I’ve never seen Seinfeld on tv over here while Friends is on two channels and pretty much all day.

i don’t think British comedies are better than American for what it’s worth. People think the two countries are similar but we’re not, we’re completely different. 

Nowadays no, but it was on things like Comedy Central and I think Sky as well back in the day, I tried watching it a few times.

10 minutes ago, Scott. said:

Link me. 

Check out this list. Friends is #1 and Seinfeld is nowhere to be found.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-45095819