Jump to content
 
Sign in to follow this  
Kay_Coight_ehgotmyvote!

Martin Scorsese - The Irishman

Recommended Posts

New film, they used a de-aging technology on Dinero, Pacino, Pesci, looks pretty good:

 

What's your top Scorsese?

1.Taxi Driver  2.Departed 3.Shutter Island 4.Gangs of New York 5.Wolf 6.Casino 7.Goodfellas 8.Haven't seen the rest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, YANGGANG_2020 said:

 

 

What's your top Scorsese?

1.Taxi Driver  2.Departed 3.Shutter Island 4.Gangs of New York 5.Wolf 6.Casino 7.Goodfellas 8.Haven't seen the rest

Ah, that’s why Raging Bull wasn’t number 1 on your list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

raging bull is in my top 10, but honestly I kind of never loved it. it's kind of macho machismo bullshit but it knows it. but hey, it was filmed great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Raging Bull was just okay, Ari hyped it up a lot and so I was excited to give it a go but was mostly left wishing I'd have put on something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, _Kyle_ said:

raging bull is in my top 10, but honestly I kind of never loved it. it's kind of macho machismo bullshit but it knows it. but hey, it was filmed great. 

i always felt like it was a display of how tragically things can end up when you have a macho machismo attitude/approach to life. one of my favorite things about RB was its honesty towards the truth. It's also cool to note that though it was originally written based on LaMotta's book Schrader only found himself super devoted once his outside research led to him discovering information about Joey, Jake's brother who is completely absent from his book. The fascination that came from that discovery led to the film's strongest plot-line. 

also, one of the craziest fun facts is, while watching the film with his ex-wife Jake found himself overwhelmed by what a total fucking dick he is in the film, turned to his ex and asked "was i really like that?" her response was "you were worse." It's honestly hard to imagine worse, but at the same time i can believe it. i think a big reason behind my love for this film stems from how incredibly challenging it would be/should be/is to tackle a subject like this, because Jake was by all accounts a very unlikable person. He's definitely no protagonist at all, and it's different than with gangster movies and such, because this is just a jealous, curmudgeon selfish person who's success in the ring doesn't necessarily translate into an empire at home of any kind.  as far as writing and structure goes, this film teaches that when you're working with something that lacks a 'good guy', the way to nail it is by being relentless and progressive in each moment that takes place on screen. 

it's fascinating to me that it's your top ten, but a film you kind of never loved. Do you think that's for simple reasons, or does it dig deeper into the possible anger towards Jake you feel while watching this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ari said:

i always felt like it was a display of how tragically things can end up when you have a macho machismo attitude/approach to life. one of my favorite things about RB was its honesty towards the truth. It's also cool to note that though it was originally written based on LaMotta's book Schrader only found himself super devoted once his outside research led to him discovering information about Joey, Jake's brother who is completely absent from his book. The fascination that came from that discovery led to the film's strongest plot-line. 

also, one of the craziest fun facts is, while watching the film with his ex-wife Jake found himself overwhelmed by what a total fucking dick he is in the film, turned to his ex and asked "was i really like that?" her response was "you were worse." It's honestly hard to imagine worse, but at the same time i can believe it. i think a big reason behind my love for this film stems from how incredibly challenging it would be/should be/is to tackle a subject like this, because Jake was by all accounts a very unlikable person. He's definitely no protagonist at all, and it's different than with gangster movies and such, because this is just a jealous, curmudgeon selfish person who's success in the ring doesn't necessarily translate into an empire at home of any kind.  as far as writing and structure goes, this film teaches that when you're working with something that lacks a 'good guy', the way to nail it is by being relentless and progressive in each moment that takes place on screen. 

it's fascinating to me that it's your top ten, but a film you kind of never loved. Do you think that's for simple reasons, or does it dig deeper into the possible anger towards Jake you feel while watching this? 

Well, I mean in Scorsese's specific filmography that is. I didn't mean to really rag on it. Like, it's a fantastic film on an acting/directing level but I feel like he has more interesting films with more to say and to explore. I also think re-watchability goes a long, long way for me and a film like Taxi-Driver is more hypnotic to me and evocative. So this like saying Raging Bull is the 7th prettiest person in a pageant. That said, I still don't love it, and it probably has a lot to do with the protagonist being so hard to watch and how alienated I feel from them. 

Actually The Wolf of Wall Street is maybe harder for me to watch  because of how amazing Jordan had it and he. just. can. not. stop. himself. Also it covers a wider range of what is wrong with society and it's legit hard to find one person you like in it. That said, I've seen that film 5 times since it came out. So who knows.  

Also I really like what you said about RB and agree with majority of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, YANGGANG_2020 said:

 

What's your top Scorsese?

1.Taxi Driver  2.Departed 3.Shutter Island 4.Gangs of New York 5.Wolf 6.Casino 7.Goodfellas 8.Haven't seen the rest

a Scorsese top ten is super hard for me. Probably changes a lot, but 

 

1. Raging Bull
2. Casino 
3. Taxi Driver
4. The Last Temptations Of Christ
5. The King Of Comedy
6. After Hours
7. Goodfellas
8. The Departed
9. The Age Of Innocence
10. The Wolf Of Wall street

For those who haven't seen The King Of Comedy, it's such a departure and a super interesting character study. Very under the radar/underrated and definitely inspired films like Nightcrawler and Joker, among others.  Especially Nightcrawler. 

read this scene spoiler after you watch the clip (I'm curious if the spoiler is needed) 


Chuck Low, at a table by himself behind De Niro mocks him throughout this scene.  Reacts like him. Gestures. 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

Well, I mean in Scorsese's specific filmography that is. I didn't mean to really rag on it. Like, it's a fantastic film on an acting/directing level but I feel like he has more interesting films with more to say and to explore. I also think re-watchability goes a long, long way for me and a film like Taxi-Driver is more hypnotic to me and evocative. So this like saying Raging Bull is the 7th prettiest person in a pageant. That said, I still don't love it, and it probably has a lot to do with the protagonist being so hard to watch and how alienated I feel from them. 

Actually The Wolf of Wall Street is maybe harder for me to watch  because of how amazing Jordan had it and he. just. can. not. stop. himself. Also it covers a wider range of what is wrong with society and it's legit hard to find one person you like in it. That said, I've seen that film 5 times since it came out. So who knows.  

Also I really like what you said about RB and agree with majority of it. 

I totally feel that completely.  What's funny/odd is,  this sort of has the opposite affect on me when it comes to film I think. I mean, it varies, but for the most part it's these sort of things that grab at my fascination and make me want to dig deeper/re-watch/etc.  When I can't relate, comprehend or generally understand or empathize it makes me feel a certain way that kind of begs at me to understand more, or at the very least study what it is I find so difficult about witnessing. This mostly boils down to character choices, like you said regarding The Wolf Of Wall Street. That sort of agitation really pulls at me. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not all praise for Scorsese, and as controversial as it may seem:

I really disliked The Aviator, and thought Cape Fear, while good, is pretty overrated. But I feel like I need to revisit that one again, and see how I feel now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Shutter Island

2. Goodfellas

3. Taxi Driver

4. The Departed

5. The Wolf of Wall Street

6. The Last Temptation of Christ

7. Raging Bull

8. The Age of Innocence

9. Bringing Out The Dead

10. The Aviator

this is hard...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, YANGGANG_2020 said:

Departed is definitely the most rewatchable for me. So many good laughs and intense moments, likeable/dislikeable characters. 

The end always gets me with the shoe socks. Fucking Mark Wahlberg.

Great movie. 


Leo's death was one of the coolest fucking things I've ever seen in a movie. 

And fucking Wahlberg stole the show in this, and the last scene is  two thumbs up

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

1. Shutter Island

2. Goodfellas

3. Taxi Driver

4. The Departed

5. The Wolf of Wall Street

6. The Last Temptation of Christ

7. Raging Bull

8. The Age of Innocence

9. Bringing Out The Dead

10. The Aviator

this is hard...

right? way harder than I thought it would be. 

I never saw Shutter Island, believe it or not. I triggered the twist the first time I saw the trailer, and deflated off being sure (and right) that i was correct. Can you break down the irrelevancy regarding that perhaps? 

EDIT: Damn, Kyle. Goodfellas at #2, but no love for Casino in the top 10 at all? Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ari said:

right? way harder than I thought it would be. 

I never saw Shutter Island, believe it or not. I triggered the twist the first time I saw the trailer, and deflated off being sure (and right) that i was correct. Can you break down the irrelevancy regarding that perhaps? 

EDIT: Damn, Kyle. Goodfellas at #2, but no love for Casino in the top 10 at all? Lol

man i saw Casino in the 90s (on VHS) and I probably don't really know what it was. same for Cape Fear. need to rewatch both.

dude, watch SI. I honestly feel like the twist is that there is no actual twist given, just two ways to watch the film. it's great to analyze it from different perspectives. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. The Departed 

2. The Wolf of Wall Street 

3. The Hangover Part 2

4. Saw 5

5. Grown Ups 2

6. Grown Ups

7. Goodfellas

8. American Pie - The Naked Mile

9. Taxi Driver 

10. Wrong Turn 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ari said:

Great movie. 

 

  Hide contents


Leo's death was one of the coolest fucking things I've ever seen in a movie. 

And fucking Wahlberg stole the show in this, and the last scene is  two thumbs up

 

It really was, so glad I didn't read ahead.

Also:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...