The Films General Discussion Topic

Aria

I believe it was Todd Phillips himself who said Joaquin's Joker would never be part of Matt Reeve's batman film, or any for that matter in a way that made it seem like they didn't want to so much as entertain the idea. It's like, cool dude- I didn't see your movie, but a lot of people liked it and you could totally build on it and do some great things for fans, but if you're too cool for school you're too cool for school.  I bring this up, because I saw this, and as much as I dislike super hero movies (and I do to the extent that I applaud Scorsese for preaching the gospel truth about Marvel) sign me up for this:

c27N5Uy.png

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, YANGGANG_2020 said:

The only time I ever really got into super hero films was honestly the Toby McGuire Spidermans.

yeah, but thats because it was the 'start' timing for those sort of films being super popular, really. I don't know how people keep up with the 'cinematic universes' now. So many films that are so copy paste predictable and shiny with little substance in them, stitched together to suggest it's bigger and better than it actually is, yet never really managing to tell the story as compelling as the comics themselves. it's like the cliff notes version or something. popcorn movies pretending to be something more. 

I'll never pretend to have some amazing taste in movies (my taste in movies usually amuses and annoys people to be honest) but a lot of films like that just bore me senseless, not sure how people keep going back for it. Joker (whilst blown up) was at least a little different and that I can appreciate. 

• Like 1

Joker worked because it felt real, Like something that was really possible, which made it more uncomfortable to watch. If there was a dude dressed up as a bat fighting crime in it, I think that alone would have broken the immersion.

With that said I’d be interested how a Batman crossover would work. I’m just glad that the first movie didn’t do that.

• Like 1

What I read when I read the script didn't work, and the trailers didn't make me want to see it at all.  I just felt like, to me, it looked so art housey and try-hard. I guess my annoyance with him sounding too 'above this' in regards to a crossover is, I do not think he's above it. Not with that, and not with a superhero movie. 

On 11/4/2019 at 6:13 PM, Ari said:

What I read when I read the script didn't work, and the trailers didn't make me want to see it at all.  I just felt like, to me, it looked so art housey and try-hard. I guess my annoyance with him sounding too 'above this' in regards to a crossover is, I do not think he's above it. Not with that, and not with a superhero movie. 

I mean... you haven't actually seen it, though? so how can you really judge that? 

8 minutes ago, Kay said:

I mean... you haven't actually seen it, though? so how can you really judge that? 

If you read both the first draft and shooting draft of something and the genre remains clear, that's how... 

and the friends who've hit me up saying they saw it and disliked how art house it felt. 

It's not a blind knock. 

10 minutes ago, Ari said:

If you read both the first draft and shooting draft of something and the genre remains clear, that's how... 

and the friends who've hit me up saying they saw it and disliked how art house it felt. 

It's not a blind knock. 

As a writer yourself wouldn't you be a little annoyed that someone would judge your film based solely on the script and never actually see it? Like yes for sure you can get the general overlay of the movie but the script isn't everything about a film.

Like I don't take issue with your opinion, I liked the movie but I'm not going to pretend it was epic of life altering cinema or whatever, I just don't really get slamming it if you haven't seen it, even if you have read the script. 

17 minutes ago, Kay said:

As a writer yourself wouldn't you be a little annoyed that someone would judge your film based solely on the script and never actually see it? Like yes for sure you can get the general overlay of the movie but the script isn't everything about a film.

Like I don't take issue with your opinion, I liked the movie but I'm not going to pretend it was epic of life altering cinema or whatever, I just don't really get slamming it if you haven't seen it, even if you have read the script. 

No, not at all. In fact, I would want somebody to judge my film based on my script because that would mean the script paints a clear enough picture of what it wants to be. And if it's a ___ type of movie and they say "this isn't for me, because I'm not a fan of ______ movies"  I'm not gonna get butt hurt, I'm gonna feel relieved because "this person could tell from reading my script what kind of movie I'd like it to be."

I read something and had no desire to see it based on what I read.  No different, just closer to the real deal as reading a book and not liking it and finding out there's a movie based on it. You probably won't go see it. 

And again, based on reading multiple drafts included  in there the shooting draft I feel I have every right to have an opinion.