My All-Time Favorite Album

Speedo

1 hour ago, JarJarBlinks said:

oh man...top 5 or even top 3 favorite band for me.  I don't know if they've ever put out a bad album; some of the newer ones haven't grabbed my attention as much but to put out as much music as they have it's insane how good 90% of their catalog is.

I've been through so many shifts and trends when it comes to music from pop-punk to black metal and honestly, blink, Pantera and Rancid are the three that I have listened to and enjoyed throughout the entire progression lol. 

I don't seek new stuff out as much as I should and just find myself coming back to those bands in some variation.

I remember my parents being really into Rancid when I was growing up. Wolves was pretty much a car ride staple for a long time and I still love that album to this day but I couldn't really find a place for anything else they've done. I feel Wolves was the most commercially approachable of their albums (or at least up until Indestructible that I know of since that was really the last Rancid album I've heard in earnest). I think it's that is why it's always stood out for me as such a great record. It has an eclecticism and approachability about it that I really look for when it comes to music. I've always be the worst kind of punk ... I don't need slogans or chants, I don't need politics, deep lyrics or punk cred. I just need fun, catchy and fast.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Elisa said:

I should say Milo Goes to College or Energy by Op. Ivy because they have always been my favourite albums growing up and still are but "The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me" is the epitome of nuance, the more I dig into it, the better it becomes even after all these years (despite what JL did)

Energy wasn't originally an album though right, wasn't that just a comp of their releases?

Dude Ranch and Fugazi's 13 Songs are my immediate answers. Probably because of their influence to me personally...and just great albums I can listen to on repeat.

On compilations, I bought Minor Threat's Complete Discography when I was younger and listened to it endlessly only realizing that it wasn't a single album until a few years after I got it (I thought it was just a unique album title) but I still listen to it as a full album today and is still one of my favourite CDs. 

I also struggle with loving every single song on albums, though - there are usually a few that are just okay. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, mahtmd said:

Dude Ranch and Fugazi's 13 Songs are my immediate answers. Probably because of their influence to me personally...and just great albums I can listen to on repeat.

On compilations, I bought Minor Threat's Complete Discography when I was younger and listened to it endlessly only realizing that it wasn't a single album until a few years after I got it (I thought it was just a unique album title) but I still listen to it as a full album today and is still one of my favourite CDs. 

I also struggle with loving every single song on albums, though - there are usually a few that are just okay. 

Oh man it's been a while since I've listened to Minor Threat.  Definitely going to listen to that tonight!

• Like 1

there's like 50+ albums where I love just about every song or at least enjoy every song immensely. those are the favorites to me at least. none of that "well this beyonce albums has 6-7 AMAZING songs and the rest are meh let's put it in the top ten of the decade" bull. 

Hot Fuss by the Killers falls into perfect side a, decent side b category. 

My 10/10 albums are:

The Beach Boys, Pet Sounds

Daft Punk, Random Access Memories

Fleetwood Mac, Rumours

The soundtrack to the movie The Incredibles

Gorillaz, Demon Days

Green Day, Dookie

Guns N’ Roses, Appetite for Destruction

Kendrick Lamar, To Pimp a Butterfly

LCD Soundsystem, Sound of Silver

Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin IV

New Order, Power, Corruption & Lies

Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon

Jeff Rosenstock, We Cool?

Jeff Rosenstock, WORRY.

Rush, Moving Pictures

Simon and Garfunkel, Bridge over Troubled Water

The Smiths, Hatful of Hollow 

Sufjan Stevens, Illinois

The Stone Roses, The Stone Roses

The Strokes, Is This It

Tears for Fears, The Hurting

Tyler, the Creator, Flower Boy

Tyler, the Creator, IGOR

Weezer’s white album

Kanye West, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Kanye West, The Life of Pablo

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

On 11/7/2019 at 11:58 AM, yodda said:

good choice - Pet Sounds is timeless and God Only Knows is probably my favourite song ever
I would definitely rank SMiLE and Pet Sounds in my top 10

Agreed. I love Holland as well, dammit, I love all the albums from Today/Summer days & Summer nights up to Carl & the Passions. After that it's starting to go downwards with only a few glimpses of greatness.

7 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

Agreed. I love Holland as well, dammit, I love all the albums from Today/Summer days & Summer nights up to Carl & the Passions. After that it's starting to go downwards with only a few glimpses of greatness.

For me, Friends, Sunflower and Surf's Up are the unsung heroes.

Just now, yodda said:

For me, Friends, Sunflower and Surf's Up are the unsung heroes.

Great albums! I always skip the smile songs on Surf's Up though since they don't belong there in my opinion. I also include the scrapped Dennis songs to the albums, it's a mystery how the hell they could scrap those..

1 hour ago, twentytwenty said:

I actually think Love You is wonderful. The best one is Shut Down 2 though. 

• Like 1