blink-182/Chainsmokers "PS, I Hope You're Happy"

Ghent

My understanding is that they are beginning to phase Matt out of the band so that they can bring in Tom Delonge in 2021. 

2020 will mark a transitional year for the trio, with a European tour planned next summer before announcing the return of Tom late fall. 

If rumours are to be believed  both Angles and Airwaves and Blink-182 will be performing at Reading and Leeds festival next year. 

Mark Tom and Travis plan on releasing an album in 2021, by then it will have been ten years since their last full release Neighborhoods. 

• Love 1
  • Wow 1

If Matt wasnt even notified, and to his surprise he hears this collab 'feat. Blink 182' on the radio - then yes that's horrible treatment. But there's a 99% chance it didnt go down like that.

In an IDEAL world, i'd like to think it was offered to them and Matt was arguing against the idea "c'mon guys this is toooo poppy for blink. The fans will cringe", and Mark/travis said 'well we both have teenage kids, we both want to be in that relm, if you're not interested thats fine we'll just do it on our own".  ....Record label exec sticks his nose in "well guys, with 2/3 of u on it, we can still technically use the blink name according to the legalities, and that will maximize the profits by XX%"

All 3 band members: "yeah whatever, we dont give a shit"

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Marik said:

In an IDEAL world, i'd like to think it was offered to them and Matt was arguing against the idea "c'mon guys this is toooo poppy for blink. The fans will cringe", and Mark/travis said 'well we both have teenage kids, we both want to be in that relm, if you're not interested thats fine we'll just do it on our own".  ....Record label exec sticks his nose in "well guys, with 2/3 of u on it, we can still technically use the blink name according to the legalities, and that will maximize the profits by XX%"

All 3 band members: "yeah whatever, we dont give a shit"

I’d put my money on this being the case. It’s 100% a label push to have the blink-182 name on the song. Matt wasn’t interested in doing it, mark and Travis respected that and didn’t force him to do something he didn’t want to. Just a band with each member respecting the wishes of the other.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bucko said:

My understanding is that they are beginning to phase Matt out of the band so that they can bring in Tom Delonge in 2021. 

2020 will mark a transitional year for the trio, with a European tour planned next summer before announcing the return of Tom late fall. 

If rumours are to be believed  both Angles and Airwaves and Blink-182 will be performing at Reading and Leeds festival next year. 

Mark Tom and Travis plan on releasing an album in 2021, by then it will have been ten years since their last full release Neighborhoods. 

Tom will still be working on the AVA album by 2021.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

There’s no way Skiba declined anything they asked for, especially blink related. He was left out imho.

There’s no way Mark and Travis would just leave Matt out without discussing it with him. He was fully involved with the Steve Aoki feature. They wouldn’t just suddenly decide to stop involving him especially after recording another album with him.

It’s most logical to assume he was asked/told about it, told it wasn’t a necessity and chose to sit it out.

• Like 1
  • Crab 1

2 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

There’s no way Mark and Travis would just leave Matt out without discussing it with him. He was fully involved with the Steve Aoki feature. They wouldn’t just suddenly decide to stop involving him especially after recording another album with him.

It’s most logical to assume he was asked/told about it, told it wasn’t a necessity and chose to sit it out.

Idk man, I just don’t see him saying no to anything Mark/Trav would ask. He’s been there for everything at the drop of a hat.

Goody Grace is a Trav favor imo, and Chainsmokers likely hit up Mark. And no doubt their labels wanted it listed as “featuring blink-182” which totally makes sense...it’s just so shitty to leave Matt out.

21 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Idk man, I just don’t see him saying no to anything Mark/Trav would ask. He’s been there for everything at the drop of a hat.

Goody Grace is a Trav favor imo, and Chainsmokers likely hit up Mark. And no doubt their labels wanted it listed as “featuring blink-182” which totally makes sense...it’s just so shitty to leave Matt out.

Matt has been there for everything so why would Mark and Travis just decide to leave Matt out and not talk to him? I can’t believe that they’re cunts like that so obviously a discussion happened behind the scenes and this is what was agreed upon.

1 hour ago, Russel Coight said:

Matt has been there for everything so why would Mark and Travis just decide to leave Matt out and not talk to him? I can’t believe that they’re cunts like that so obviously a discussion happened behind the scenes and this is what was agreed upon.

If anything has been established about Mark, Tom, and Travis over the last fifteen years it’s that all three of them are cunts like that.

• Haha 4

35 minutes ago, NotNow said:

If anything has been established about Mark, Tom, and Travis over the last fifteen years it’s that all three of them are cunts like that.

Tom maybe. Can’t think of any time mark or Travis fucked over their band mates like that. Maybe Travis argument over money with the Aussie promoter could be included.

32 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Well Mark and Travis kicked Tom out of blink over social media and us fans knew about it before Tom himself did lol.

Not that kicking Tom out was unwarranted. But it was a petty way to do things.

It was also the most fun I've probably ever had following blink-182 drama lol

Tom wasn’t kicked out. Mark and Travis received an email saying “TOM IS OUT” from Tom’s manager. As far as they knew Tom had quit again. They then moved on.

Did they handle it in a petty way? Sure. Did they backstab and go behind Tom’s back? No.

• Love 1

55 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Tom wasn’t kicked out. Mark and Travis received an email saying “TOM IS OUT” from Tom’s manager. As far as they knew Tom had quit again. They then moved on.

Did they handle it in a petty way? Sure. Did they backstab and go behind Tom’s back? No.

Well either way Tom had no idea he was out of the band. He tweeted that he was still in before he figured out what happened. They never told Tom he was out. Maybe they thought he had quit, but since he didn't, they kicked him out without his knowledge.

15 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Well either way Tom had no idea he was out of the band. He tweeted that he was still in before he figured out what happened. They never told Tom he was out. Maybe they thought he had quit, but since he didn't, they kicked him out without his knowledge.

Toms manager had been the only person speaking to mark and Travis during that time if I remember correctly. Tom spoke through his manager as did mark and Travis through theirs. So when they got word from Tom’s manager that he was out they took it as if Tom had said it directly as the standard had been for many months that Tom would speak to his manager who would pass it on to mark/Travis manger who would pass is on to mark/Travis.

Tom may have had no idea that his manager was basically “quitting blink” for him but Mark and Travis cannot be blamed for taking Tom’s managers word as fact since for a long time he had been the one speaking for Tom to Mark and Travis.

A bunch of shitty circumstances that comes from not speaking to your friends/band mates directly? Absolutely. Backstabbing and going behind Tom’s back? No way. Tom had no one to blame but himself for not being honest with Mark/Travis and the fans.

• Love 1

Or ya know, when something as drastic as the member leaving the band is apparently declared through email communication; my first thought would be to go ask the person directly that there wasn’t a miscommunication quickly before going with a public statement. Or notify Tom that the statement was going out beforehand to give him a chance to respond to them privately first. If Tom had really quit the band; he obviously knew it would become public knowledge. You would think he would make a public statement before mark and Travis knowing it would make him look bad. And yet, seemingly weeks went by between the Tom is out email and the bands statement. I wouldn’t infer from that that the person had quit the band if there’s just silence.

As for my speculation; mark and Travis saw that Tom didn’t want to do it anymore which he didn’t so they made the choice for him. Relationships end this way all the time. And then it got murky because mark and Travis don’t feel it’s fair to be blamed for kicking someone out that doesn’t even want to be in it. I don’t think it’s asshole behavior for wanting to do that on their part; I think that’s a fair thing to do with where they were at. I think the asshole behavior is trying to hide behind the idea that Tom quit to keep their public image intact. If that’s what happened

I don’t know what to say if you don’t think there wasn’t assholery from all parties in 2015; 2004 was way different.

As far as I’m concerned after dealing with months(more maybe? I honestly can’t remember how long it went on for) of a band member constantly dodging obligations, breaking contracts and not committing to the band only to get word that he was “out” via the exact same source that had said it the first time Mark and Travis has every right to move on in the way they did.

After Tom quit the band the first time there was silence for a long time. Tom was silent in the room when his manager quit for him. Tom never admitted to quitting until years after. The first time Tom ever actually said he “left blink” was in the Start The Machine doco which released 2008. Mark, Travis or the fans hearing that he quit doesn’t mean shit.

As far as Mark and Travis were concerned Tom quit in the exact same way he had in 2004 which was via his manager. They didn’t need to hear from him the second time for it to be concrete as they didn’t hear from him the first time and this time they chose to continue blink rather then end it. 

Was the way they handled it petty? Yeah. Were they in the wrong? No.