blink-182/Chainsmokers "PS, I Hope You're Happy"

Ghent

41 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I'm not saying Tom's blameless here. Far from it. I'm just saying he didn't know he was getting kicked out.

In the end, I'm glad it happened. But I'd love to have him back in the band one day. Preferably with Skiba still in too.

And all I’m saying is that regardless of whether Tom knew he was leaving the band(I don’t like to use kicked out here because I don’t feel like that’s what happened) or not Mark and Travis had every reason believe that he had once again ended his professional relationship with blink-182 and were therefore not in the wrong for continuing how they did.

I’d also love to see Tom back in the band. I think a lot of people here might assume that because of my fondness for Skiba that I’m a Tom hater but that’s not the case at all. I love Tom. Always have. Always will. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

There’s no way Skiba declined anything they asked for, especially blink related. He was left out imho.

It might be a label issue (which I doubt), but to me it just feels like these artists only need Mark and Travis to have a featuring with blink-182. And I don't think it's fair to Skiba.
I'm not saying Mark and Travis are telling Matt to stay out of it, but I just can't see him refusing to do it either, if asked. He isn't that kind of person and he isn't in the position to say "I don't like Chainsmokers and the other kid, just do it without me"

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Tom wasn’t kicked out. Mark and Travis received an email saying “TOM IS OUT” from Tom’s manager. As far as they knew Tom had quit again. They then moved on.

Did they handle it in a petty way? Sure. Did they backstab and go behind Tom’s back? No.

If I was a friend and a bandmate with someone and get an email from their manager, first thing is pick up the phone and ask them personally. This time around I don't think Tom changed his number.

22 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

All you have to do is flip the roles, what if Trav/Matt were in these and Mark was MIA? It’s just weird. And it’s that same amount of “weird” for me with Matt being out. 

No it isn't.

Matt isn't a proper member of the band like the other two, he is a stand in session musician that has minimal say in the direction/sound of the band. 

Once the Nine album cycle winds down they'll take a break, he will slowly get phased out and then they will do one last cash grab with Tom before calling it quits. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, daveyjones said:

do you mean a lower key? because there's no way he could sing twelve full steps below that.

Nah, a lower octave. He might not be able to pull it off live, but if he can do it on songs like Misery, IRWIHY and Natives, then I'm sure he can do it in the studio.

2 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Nah, a lower octave. He might not be able to pull it off live, but if he can do it on songs like Misery, IRWIHY and Natives, then I'm sure he can do it in the studio.

most people have a modest two-octave vocal range when they sing; only rare talents (think opera) sing five. so mark either sings it high or low (if the key is in his range). when mark sings high like on misery, i guarantee you that's the absolute ceiling of his range.

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

most people have a modest two-octave vocal range when they sing; only rare talents (think opera) sing five. so mark either sings it high or low (if the key is in his range). when mark sings high like on misery, i guarantee you that's the absolute ceiling of his range.

Mark doesn't sing high on Misery doesn't he? Unless you mean the bridge? I've actually just listened to IRWIHY on that "anymore" line where he goes pretty low. He's singing pretty high on the song with the Chainsmokers, so if he can sing on a lower octave, it'd still be higher than what he was singing on IRWIHY. The song with Chainsmokers is in a higher key than IRWIHY, so if he can do it on IRWIHY then I'm sure he can do it on this song.

18 hours ago, Njdevils26 said:

Says a lot about how shit this song is that the thread turned into discussion about the break up for the millionth time.

Half of blinks identity at this point is the history around their breakups and the relationship between the two. Fans melt down if a like is given between the two on social media.

Including Matt in collabs such as these will probably have to utilize him on vocal duties, and sharing vocals between 3 or more singers (e.g Mark and xxx) is hard to pull off. Not having Mark sing will eliminate the blink-182 identity in the song for the casual ear. Maybe if it were Tom he could add a few iconic guitar lines here and there without making it sound too forced.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ixidor said:

What was Matt gonna do in that song anyway? There is no guitar in there.

Ive wondered about this consideration too. Musically there's nothing for him to do, and vocally is he gonna take one of Mark's line? I honestly dont think here's any room for him to do anything. Makes sense to give Mark the verse. And the precedent has already been set that its okay for Matt not to be shoved into the video just for the sake of it.

• Like 2

Its a harmless pop song

It sounds catchy nothing more nothing less. Most Chainsmokers songs use that 3 chord progression that either moves up or down. The F/G/A-Minor kind of thing. 

It's basic but nothing offensive in my opinion

I'm looking forward to all these odd collabs. 

December 6th we'll also get that XXXTentacion/Blink-182 collab - All Fading To Black

Being a band for almost 30 years must be a trip, after a certain point it must be like "we've done everything, let's try some new shit" but I doubt they would have done these collaborations with Tom still in the band.

A song with Twenty One Pilots could have been great though.

• Like 3

I’m all for them doing fun collabs and doing what they want. But if Tom was in the band, there’s no way Mark/Trav do this collab and leave him out. That’s my only beef with them, it’s not right. 

I don’t see how Mark/Trav or even the other artists involved write the song, pump it up as “featuring blink-182”, go film a video/special appearance, and just leave Skiba at home painting Batman masks. #Justice4Skiba

• Like 1