182 News Podcast

Ry-Bread

Yeah when you have an established audience the longer podcast thing is feasible but most people will look at a long time suck and go "yikes no thanks" unless they're already super invested. It's common sense. 

• Like 1

There's also the point of spreading out limited content. There isn't a lot going on in Blink-land right now, so he's creating content to talk about by doing these interviews. But if Ry does one episode for each of these interviews instead of splitting them into two episodes, he'll naturally run out of people connected to Blink history to interview and end up having to fill episodes with like "Oliver's greatest tall tales" or something. I think he's doing it the right way, especially starting it up during a Blink lull. Keep it up @Ry-Bread!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

all of you need to calm the fuck down. don't ask for feedback and freak out just because it isn't all praise. i can listen to as few or as many episodes of something as i want and still give my opinion if you're asking for it. a lot of the counter points make sense and i get it, which is why i said "i could be wrong" from the beginning.

also, have i not expressed excitement for certain episodes? i've even spread the word about them to other people who don't know about it. i'll happily not listen to them at all if it's such an offense that i don't plan on listening to every single episode. i guarantee most others won't either if the guest doesn't interest them. it's not a big deal. that's why most podcasts aren't serialized. 

but apparently all of this is justification for middle school level name calling and wild assumptions that i spend my days absolutely dying to get information about 2006 from audio engineers and former band managers and run away with it. i guess i should be honored by the weird hatred/fan fiction but really this is all just a good time killer for me while i'm working. i've been posting here for nearly 15 years. it should be no surprise by now that my opinions are usually the polar opposite of everyone else's.

16 hours ago, wannabe corn dog said:

all of you need to calm the fuck down. don't ask for feedback and freak out just because it isn't all praise. i can listen to as few or as many episodes of something as i want and still give my opinion if you're asking for it. a lot of the counter points make sense and i get it, which is why i said "i could be wrong" from the beginning.

also, have i not expressed excitement for certain episodes? i've even spread the word about them to other people who don't know about it. i'll happily not listen to them at all if it's such an offense that i don't plan on listening to every single episode. i guarantee most others won't either if the guest doesn't interest them. it's not a big deal. that's why most podcasts aren't serialized. 

but apparently all of this is justification for middle school level name calling and wild assumptions that i spend my days absolutely dying to get information about 2006 from audio engineers and former band managers and run away with it. i guess i should be honored by the weird hatred/fan fiction but really this is all just a good time killer for me while i'm working. i've been posting here for nearly 15 years. it should be no surprise by now that my opinions are usually the polar opposite of everyone else's.

I think you're overestimating the amount anyone is bothered by your feedback

• Like 2

On 3/30/2020 at 1:17 PM, Ry-Bread said:

@Osgod some stuff had to be cut ;)

I was trying to remember though, when EOTS tour launched, were they using the official cover on merch? That was what he hinted at, and I thought maybe there was a black shirt at least if memory serves. Seems like the way they got around it was using a cartoon caricature for the backdrop/t-shirts... Offering him $1,500 for full rights was an absolute joke though IMO, and it is interesting over the years that they've never really used that album's artwork (or really most of their album art) for posters, shirts, etc. So I do understand his frustration and found his perspective fascinating. I'm sure this happens to A LOT of photographers/artists/bands/etc. 

Tbh, im not sure how i feel about this. To compare to one example im familiar with, U2 paid anton corbijn to photograph The Joshua Tree back in late 1986. It went on to become icon image, and still used on merch/etc 30yrs later for the anniversary tour. When U2 hired him as a photographer in 86, they paid X amount of money for his services, and the resulting images, and they own the product. They dont have to keep paying him 30yrs later to use the image. There was no guarentee the image would become iconic back in 86, so thats a gamble for both band +contractor when they are making the deal/arrangement. Maybe the contractor will end up being underpaid in the long run..... maybe the band will have overpaid in the long run if the product doesnt end up being successful.

Maybe blink had a different arrangement, where they didnt pay to fully own the image back in 99. But it seems rare to me that a band would 'lease' am image that a photographer woukd retain ownership of. Expecially of am album cover, which the band knows is the type of product that will be earning them royalities for rest of their lives potentially.

So yes, 1500 seems ridiculously low if that is what they had offered him back in 99. But its his own fault if he accepted too little back in 99, and he doesnt deserve to ask for any more 20yrs later just cuz its still earning money.

The fact that blink even contacted him to offer him any more money whatsoever sounds rather strange. So maybe the original deal is indeed an abnormal one?

• Like 1

@Marik he said in the podcast that the original contract stated if they were to use it for merch, they would need to renegotiate. Basically him and the band didn’t use it for 20 years, which was odd to him (and me, but I assume the label didn’t want to renegotiate?). Then with the EOTS20 tour they wanted to use it and thus had to contact him. That’s when they hit him with a lowball offer, which he declined, and then apparently they used it anyway... (That’s why I’m trying to recall if there was an EOTS cover shirt initially?) So that was frustrating for him, rightfully so, and I appreciated his honesty on the situation.

And to be fair he acknowledged that the band likely has nothing to do with this and probably doesn’t even know about it, so he wasn’t blaming them. It’s label/lawyer stuff.

On 3/31/2020 at 2:27 PM, Ry-Bread said:

@Marik he said in the podcast that the original contract stated if they were to use it for merch, they would need to renegotiate. Basically him and the band didn’t use it for 20 years, which was odd to him (and me, but I assume the label didn’t want to renegotiate?). Then with the EOTS20 tour they wanted to use it and thus had to contact him. That’s when they hit him with a lowball offer, which he declined, and then apparently they used it anyway... (That’s why I’m trying to recall if there was an EOTS cover shirt initially?) So that was frustrating for him, rightfully so, and I appreciated his honesty on the situation.

And to be fair he acknowledged that the band likely has nothing to do with this and probably doesn’t even know about it, so he wasn’t blaming them. It’s label/lawyer stuff.

Ahhhhhh, missed that bit about merch renogiation. Thx

I like that you are splitting the interviews into a couple parts. Especially when starting out, you want to keep peoples attention with shorter podcasts and in the process build the size of your “archive.” Builds your credibility while keeping new listeners (which is all you have right now) interested.

Keep it up, just listened to the Chris Holmes podcast, good stuff!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Loved hearing from Chris Holmes - great insight from such a once integral member of the blink camp! Can’t wait for the second half @Ry-Bread I’m not dissing you splitting them up, but it’d be rad if you could release the 2 parters over a few days rather than a whole week. I’m just one of many bored people in isolation rn and the podcast is keeping me super entertained! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hyland Lament said:

Loved hearing from Chris Holmes - great insight from such a once integral member of the blink camp! Can’t wait for the second half @Ry-Bread I’m not dissing you splitting them up, but it’d be rad if you could release the 2 parters over a few days rather than a whole week. I’m just one of many bored people in isolation rn and the podcast is keeping me super entertained! 

Thanks man, glad to hear it's bringing some entertainment! The problem with releasing it so shortly after the first one is mostly a logistics one. These episodes take quite a bit of time to edit, gather notes and record my parts, all the music in them is me so I record and add that, and then once I think I have it done, I literally listen to it 3-4 times to see if anything needs changed/adjusted and go from there... So we're talking easily 6+ hours per episode, and the only time I really have is once my kid goes to bed on the weekends. That's why I'm shooting for bi-weekly, fairly short episodes (45-75 min is ideal), and leaving some crumbs to hopefully keep people listening and build up a following. I love it, but it's a hobby at this point (though I'd love to be able to spend more time on it and not lose money one day)!

• Like 2

wow ry. been holding off on listening cause mainly i’m bad about sitting down and just listening. but props to you dude, this is one of the most consequential things to ever happen in the fan community, and in the larger narrative about blink at large. what we know and to what extent is forever being altered by your interviews — unfiltered, honest, and frank admissions by well-picked subjects. holmes is a great guest who certainly represents best an era that is grossly overlooked but also itself was challenging for fans, in the worst way. really looking forward to part two, keep nabbing these great guests.

• Like 6