Ry-Bread

182 News Podcast

Holmes has a poster of the first +44 show I went to, with The Matches as the opener. I had never heard of The Matches and quickly after that show they ended up being my second favorite band ever after blink. Gave the poster to a friend of mine after the show in a decision I totally regret. Just saying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ry-Bread said:

@NeverOliver what’s the city/date? I’ll keep an eye out for one 

Right on. December...16th maybe in San Francisco. I’ve seen it here and there on eBay but I have so many posters I never got around to replacing it  

Another poster story - A couple days later +44 played a MySpace secret show in San Francisco. Awesome poster giveaway after the show. I waited around for Mark after the show who came out to sign. Started signing, said it was going to slow “give me a handful and I’ll pass them back out” so he grabs a whole bunch including mine and signs. Passes them back out, and I don’t get one back. So someone snatched up my signed poster. I went back to the venue to ask for another poster so I could at least leave with something but they were all gone. This one I did replace a couple years later though. 

• Sad 1

really enjoying this podcast - great work and awesome guests. it’s cool to hear these stories from people who were closely involved with the band over the years. thanks man!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Maybe I missed it, but did he answer why there haven’t been a second +44 record?

12 minutes ago, Osgod said:

Maybe I missed it, but did he answer why there haven’t been a second +44 record?

Basically seemed like they all got kinda busy, had a few rough guitar riff ideas, but then Trav was doing his thing with DJ AM then the plane crash happened...then blink got back together. Despite my deepest wishes, there is no unreleased +44 material he said, short of a few random riffs.

1 hour ago, Ry-Bread said:

Basically seemed like they all got kinda busy, had a few rough guitar riff ideas, but then Trav was doing his thing with DJ AM then the plane crash happened...then blink got back together. Despite my deepest wishes, there is no unreleased +44 material he said, short of a few random riffs.

Yeah I got that. But still strange that they didn’t do another record later. Mark should have had a lot of freetime while Tom was doing AVA stuff. 

Thanks! Can’t wait for part 2. 

@Osgod like in 2012-2014? Blink still had shows, Craig/Shane were long gone, Trav was deep into beats/producing, and both were still hoping to get in the studio with new blink. Mark did start “NothingxNobody” with Chris Holmes during that time, which is discussed in Part 2. But at that point +44 was just too far removed.

Just listened to the interview with Chris on the podcast. It was amazing! Thank you Ry for taking the time to do all you're doing!

• Love 1

I have a lot of catching up to do @Ry-Bread, I have two toddlers around me 24/7 and it's almost impossible to listen to music anymore, let alone a podcast. Keep doing what you're doing and when things let up I will be listening again.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2020 at 3:39 PM, Ry-Bread said:

there's more to the story i think that'll be revealed at some point... chris seems a little brief on the matters in the pod. +44 signed a record contract in like aug 07, and they had over a year between that and trav's crash to make anything. mark co-owned the studio. it wouldn't have been difficult to write with shane/craig, and though travis was definitely busy at that time, write with him too. seems more likely to me that the songwriting with craig/shane was unsatisfactory and the band just sorta fell apart.

He said there were only a couple ideas for songs on album 2 tho, essentially the 2 clips of Mark playing guitar riffs that ended up on YouTube (I know I’ve seen the one a million times, and he mentioned another with Mark using his black Les Paul).

So it doesn’t seem very likely to abandon something out of dissatisfaction when there’s nothing even really there? We probably should find those clips and verify those dates.

58 minutes ago, Hyland Lament said:

When’s part 2 dropping? 

ETA Sunday!

37 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Uploaded by Mrtsurt on Sept 18th 2008

God that was the day before Trav’s plane crash... so weird. So +44’s last show was Aug 2007, and per CH, these were the only ideas for their next album, which were likely recorded somewhere near this upload date of ~ September 2008. And the day after these were uploaded everything changed and blink ends up back together.

• Like 2

so then what was mark up to between signing the interscope contract in aug 07 and recording by himself in sep 08?

• Like 1

Yeah that’s the window to figure out, would assume coming off tour it wouldn’t be too crazy to think they enjoyed time off the rest of 2007. But def Jan-Sept 2008 is a big window.

I haven’t had a chance to peek at the timeline to see if anything is documented during that?

My theory is that he was always inspired by Blink during the glory days, no problems there at all, then he was clearly inspired by his feelings toward Tom when he wrote the first +44 album, and then he had no big inspiration to make more music until Blink reunited. I think he needs that external push to come from other people or life circumstances more than just self-generating new material all the time and during those few years he didn't have any of that going on.

• Like 2