182 News Podcast

Ry-Bread

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

i think the idea is that of course the interview itself will be conversational. otherwise it would be boring AF. then at the end ry would do a rapid fire AMA from the boards. like a game show. "where did you buy that bass?" "guitar center." "ok, next." 

ry will have plenty of time to ask a few of my nerdy questions at the end along with all the other more broadly fandom ones. or he will hit up mark and get my info when they are gaming sometime.

I just think the questions should be ones that the broader community wants to hear Mark answer. Questions about a font and a bass from 20+ years ago aren’t going to be rapid fire questions. Mark will have to stop, try to even remember what is being asked about and then answer. It’ll take up too much time for something that barely anyone cares about.

Im not trying to be a dick but in my 15 or so years here I’ve never seen someone mention wanting to know anything about who chose the font from 20 years ago. Like you said those questions are better suited for one of his twitch streams not taking up the time in this rare opportunity we have.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

I just think the questions should be ones that the broader community wants to hear Mark answer. Questions about a font and a bass from 20+ years ago aren’t going to be rapid fire questions. Mark will have to stop, try to even remember what is being asked about and then answer. It’ll take up too much time for something that barely anyone cares about.

Im not trying to be a dick but in my 15 or so years here I’ve never seen someone mention wanting to know anything about who chose the font from 20 years ago. Like you said those questions are better suited for one of his twitch streams not taking up the time in this rare opportunity we have.

it's certainly a valid point of view. and it's rye's podcast so he's the arbiter, ultimately.

• Like 1

What's the newest song with the oldest origins? Or what's the longest an idea or riff or lyric has been around before it finally became part of a finished song? Like how we discovered that the Up All Night riff was around during the Untitled recording sessions. I'm sure there are better ways to phrase the question, but more examples like that would just be fun tidbits of trivia.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, uuhhmmaazziinngg said:

I’d be curious to know if Tom had shared any of those Demos, Odds, and Ends songs/ideas with Mark & Travis

Same goes for those two tracks that were originally Blink tracks and then made it onto AvA's WDNTW album. I know one was It Hurts, and I want to say the other one was The War. 

And any chance 'Punk Kid' sees the light of day? Curious how close that song came to making it onto Untitled and whether they'd ever revisit it. 

I may actually have a half interesting question. Well two - 

As a songwriter, what song does he consider his greatest success and why? What song does he consider his greatest failure and if he could go back in time and improve on it, what would he do? 

• Like 6

Expanding on the songwriting, how has the process changed over the years? We know it started out very much in the bedroom with acoustic guitars, then turned into a band process, and now they've got outside writers and they work remotely. Why have there been those changes and what are his thoughts about how that reflects in the work? Where does he see it going in the future?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chewy030 said:

When @Ry-Breadactually gets this set up he should move the Mark questions to it's own thread to make it easier for him and just everyone in general. Hopefully Mark will let you do a multiple part interview. 

I'm not sure Ry should listen to any of us at all.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, wannabe corn dog said:

it would probably be best to just have a normal conversation like what was done in the rob episode

having a list of questions makes it seem like an interview with a journalist

yea the rob ep was great. to @Ry-Bread's credit, he comes prepared but doesn't have questions written down per say, except the rapid fire at the end. it was my impression that the things he asks grow organically out of the conversation.

i do kind of like that this place has been aching for an in-depth conversation with Mark and we might just get one where he shoots the shit and talks about guitars and video games. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wannabe corn dog said:

yeah, exactly.

i agree. i agree a podcast episode with mark should be like a podcast.

1 hour ago, _Kyle_ said:

we might just get one where he shoots the shit and talks about guitars and video games. 

this is my feeling given their relationship.

-anything guitar/bass gear related buddha-toypaj. anything jerry finn.

- favorite riff ?(mark, matt,tom)

- which song (by bandmates or other) does he wish he wrote himself?

- what did he have for lunch/dinner before his first ever visit to the Internet (and was it worth it)?

• Like 1