Ignitemares (my punk band)

Kay

Sup!

I've mentioned being in a band for a while. We're a pop punk / punk / emo (I havent a clue) 3 piece. socials! Facebook Instagram Twitter

launched our debut single today, called "Letters To Lauras". One of our more serious songs, very personal song lyrically to me as well. I'm guitar/vocals if anyones curious. 

Streaming / purchasing links here - https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/ignitemares/letters-to-lauras 

theres a silly cheap lyric video here -

We are releasing our second single "San Junipero" probably in May, with a completely professional full music video to boot. if you check out our socials you'll see some pics from it in our recent posts.

That one is more traditional pop punk so might land a bit better with people here.

if you like what you hear please like / follow / share etc, would mean the world :) 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

45 minutes ago, Jan's Plan said:

Really like the intro and guitars, way the verses start remind me of Dude Ranch.  Probably one of the better "listen to my shit"s I've personally come across.  How do you get that guitar tone?

Cheap ass guitar and a cheap amp that's how! I've got one of fender modern players that had the humbucker bridge with the split before they changed and upped the price on the modern player designs. I solely use the humbucker and I have the cheap AF micro dark terror orange amp head. It's tiny but sounds great. Glad you like! I am always nervous about sharing music stuff so it's nice not to be laughed out of my thread straight away lol

20 minutes ago, Scott. said:

Did you write it for our Laura?

also, San Junipero is the best black mirror episode ever. 

Yeah the song San Junipero is about being super old and married and boring and trying to keep the 'spark' going, it's a bit tongue in cheek, but the video has like an old couple jumping into a TV into an 80sesque music video, trying to tie it in a bit. we all love that episode. 

Also no, it's not about @Patient #48273, love her as I do. it's about Laura Jane Grace (first verse and chorus) and my cousin (second verse and chorus). haven't spoken to her in 16 years. it's a veeeery personal song haha. 

10 hours ago, Elisa said:

That scream before the bridge! This song rocks! 

why thaaaaank you haha, I did like 10 takes of it. I used to do it live but now my bassist does it because it fuckin' wrecks me for the rest of the song haha 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Kay said:

Cheap ass guitar and a cheap amp that's how! I've got one of fender modern players that had the humbucker bridge with the split before they changed and upped the price on the modern player designs. I solely use the humbucker and I have the cheap AF micro dark terror orange amp head. It's tiny but sounds great. Glad you like! I am always nervous about sharing music stuff so it's nice not to be laughed out of my thread straight away lol

Oh yeah it surprised me right away felt as quality as most the bands I put on.  Whenever I record something in it sounds dull as fuck even when fully mixed.  No, normally it can be pretty cringe (not you) because it's hard for people to judge their own music but this one was good.

5 hours ago, Scott. said:

also, San Junipero is the best black mirror episode ever. 

White Christmas.

20 minutes ago, Jan's Plan said:

Oh yeah it surprised me right away felt as quality as most the bands I put on.  Whenever I record something in it sounds dull as fuck even when fully mixed.  No, normally it can be pretty cringe (not you) because it's hard for people to judge their own music but this one was good.

White Christmas.

Yeah I am quite chuffed with the outcome considering how chill the recording experience was. I do think it isn't mixed in a very 'punk' way, the producer isn't really rock orientated but I think considering he did quite well. I do have some issues with it, I wish I'd added a few more guitar tracks to fill it out more in places and I hate my attempt at backing vocals on the chorus but the producer, the rest of the band and other people were all like "they're fine what's your issue" they sound fucking wrong to me though haha, apart from that though I was impressed with the outcome. the next one is also produced with him and I love how that came out, it's a little bit more 'raw' vocally and I think it works. 

reminds me @Ghost as a long time fan of mine you may wanna check this out haha. 

39 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

I enjoyed the song even though you left out the verse about me.

If it makes you feel any better, our drummers soon to be wife is called Laura and it's not about her either. I even offered him the last chorus, said he could change the two lines for her, so there'd be 3 Lauras, and he was like "eh". rude much? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, twentytwenty said:

Sounds great! If I'm going to be picky I would say that the kick is too high up in the mix for my taste, but other than that it sounds great! 

I've liked your stuff since you posted the first single of your solo EP, always class!

Thanks man I really appreciate that :) and yeah there's definitely nits to pick with the track, it's expected really lol

On 3/2/2020 at 8:18 AM, Kay said:

Yeah I am quite chuffed with the outcome considering how chill the recording experience was. I do think it isn't mixed in a very 'punk' way, the producer isn't really rock orientated but I think considering he did quite well. I do have some issues with it, I wish I'd added a few more guitar tracks to fill it out more in places and I hate my attempt at backing vocals on the chorus but the producer, the rest of the band and other people were all like "they're fine what's your issue" they sound fucking wrong to me though haha, apart from that though I was impressed with the outcome. the next one is also produced with him and I love how that came out, it's a little bit more 'raw' vocally and I think it works. 

reminds me @Ghost as a long time fan of mine you may wanna check this out haha. 

My honest opinion is they might not be as committed then, because I noticed that too.  It doesn't ruin the song or anything but it sounds like you should be making the decisions or find a different producer that you trust in to find the same vision as you.  I always feel like, you're already putting so much time into writing and recording the song, you might as well take the extra effort to make sure it's mixed properly too.  Sometimes less is more, but I would have brought the guitars up and drums down as well.

You'll need to show me how you get that guitar tone in the intro.. I can never seem to get my distortion to sound that good and I've been playing for 15 years.

7 hours ago, Jan's Plan said:

My honest opinion is they might not be as committed then, because I noticed that too.  It doesn't ruin the song or anything but it sounds like you should be making the decisions or find a different producer that you trust in to find the same vision as you.  I always feel like, you're already putting so much time into writing and recording the song, you might as well take the extra effort to make sure it's mixed properly too.  Sometimes less is more, but I would have brought the guitars up and drums down as well.

You'll need to show me how you get that guitar tone in the intro.. I can never seem to get my distortion to sound that good and I've been playing for 15 years.

I don't know what else to tell you, the set up is the same as when I play live. little micro dark terror head, gain and levels straight middle, only using the bridge humbucker on my guitar, nux overdrive pedal with everything also set to the middle. it's a very basic bitch set up, but I keep getting comments about it so idk. 

the guys are definitely committed I think they just aren't that observant about vocals. I'd sent it to others who also didn't see an issue. I think they're just slightly off and I'm a bit of a perfectionist. We've had a few reviews back and none have mentioned it either which I was also surprised by.  

The producer has since closed his studio anyway so we won't be able to return to him after the next track which we did at the same time. We used him because we knew him and he was affordable and we were broke and honestly apart from my niggle with the vocals and the general style I actually think it was well worth it, it was the most relaxed and creative recording experience I'd had with a producer. We liked the relaxed approach and think it sounds a bit more natural because of it (I had a bad experience going the really professional route for my solo stuff last time, put me right off) but we think next time we're going to record the raw tracks ourselves and then find someone to send the tracks to to mix and master. we know enough about what we're doing to record the instrumentation (I recorded the vocals for L2L at home anyway) and we can take time to write / add extra guitar parts and focus on harmonies without worrying about studio time before we send it to someone else. We're going to test it with one of our more traditional punk ones (as it'll benefit from being rougher around the edges) and see how it turns out. if it's a bust we'll reevaluate lol, but the intention next is to go for a full EP. 

ALSO - Letters To Lauras has already hit over 1000k on Spotify and we were mentioned on Punktastic - 

https://thepickup.punktastic.com/tracks/ignitemares-letters-to-lauras

"Ignitemares have created an instantly likable track with 'Letters To Lauras'. Its catchy, charming chorus feels like an old friend and there's a fuzzy blast of lead guitar to keep you on your toes. With its warm guitar sounds and upbeat sensbilities, you can't help but sway along. Fans of DIY punk bands like Martha will find a lot to enjoy here."

• Like 1

• 3 months later...