Ignitemares (my punk band)

Kay

12 minutes ago, Kay said:

@twentytwenty got me curious @daveyjones whatcha think, dare I ask? 

well since you're welsh, the band gets graded on a curve, naturally.

i don't use spotify. do you have another kind of link? duh. there's the youtube link right at the top of the ol' thread.

the drummer loses the beat a couple times on this track; sorry i can't help but notice as i'm a drummer.

i'm presuming that's you singing lead? your vocal range reminds me of monique powell from saves ferris. overall, the track reminds me of a lot of slower-tempo alterna-rock from the early to mid nineties. like, look up a band called letters to cleo:

do you know sarge? i bet you would really, really like them. check out an album called the glass intact:

oh and check out bully! they rock:

1 minute ago, daveyjones said:

well since you're welsh, the band gets graded on a curve, naturally.

i don't use spotify. do you have another kind of link?

Loads of bands have come out of Wales. Rarely good ones but still - 

https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/ignitemares/letters-to-lauras

Loads of links and the video on there. 

@daveyjones I was 10 years old when "10 Things I Hate About You" came out, so yes I'm familiar with Letters To Cleo, hard not to be. They rocked that movie. 

Sarge sound alright, Bully as well. But I'm not really a super big fan of female fronted rock stuff - I just happen to be a woman, can't be helped. 

And yeah, it's me singing and on guitar. Apart from into the second verse I've never noticed any issues with the drum track, but it was a very limited studio time situation and he's new to the studio so I'm not too surprised. I think he did very well considering, he was absolutely bricking the whole experience. This is one of our slower ones so I get the rock vibe, most of ours are faster and more traditionally pop punk/emoish. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kay said:

Sarge sound alright, Bully as well. But I'm not really a super big fan of female fronted rock stuff - I just happen to be a woman, can't be helped. 

I'm not either, I just never cared for female vocals over aggressive music outside of a few exceptions like Kim Shattuck or Haley from Paramore.

I once said as much on Punknews.org and got berated from some fem-nazi cunt 'cause apparently I'm sextist for not being inclusive with my personal tastes in music. Mind you I never said female vocalists were terrible, just that I, personally, preferred male vocal styles to aggressive music.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Speedo said:

I'm not either, I just never cared for female vocals over aggressive music outside of a few exceptions like Kim Shattuck or Haley from Paramore.

I once said as much on Punknews.org and got berated from some fem-nazi cunt 'cause apparently I'm sextist for not being inclusive with my personal tastes in music. Mind you I never said female vocalists were terrible, just that I, personally, preferred male vocal styles to aggressive music.

I think that may also be my issue. I love a lot of female artists but not many in rock or punk, and I like a lot of rock and punk. Idk. I don't auto hate all female vocals, I guess it's more that not many stick out for me in the genre. I tend to like quite distinct vocalists, ones that you recognise instantly for better or for worse and I can't think of any female fronted punk/rock bands that have that. Except maybe when Agent M was in Tsunami Bomb. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

During lockdown there was a songwriting challenge from a local promoter. They gave the title and local bands wrote a song to it. One of the title options was "Bombs and Promises" I thought it sounded like a bad Green Day anti-america song. So that's what I wrote. 

The following is a piss take taken a bit too far with home recording, video, and release. It's the most basic bitch pop punk thing I've ever written, it took ten minutes, and the chorus is catchier than half the shit I've ever written. It's rough as fuck as it's all home recorded and produced by people who dunno wtf they're doing. 

I love it. 

On all the usual platforms - 

https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/ignitemares/bombs-and-promises

• Love 3

7 minutes ago, thongrider said:

Been waiting for this ever since the zoom hang! It lives up to the expectations! Great song!

Aww man thank you so much! It seems to have gone done well, we've had some positive reviews which I was surprised by (I thought we'd get ignored) but not bad for a slapped together mess during quarantine haha

4 hours ago, twentytwenty said:

It did indeed! 

@Kay I especially liked the second verse, but great fun song overall. And the basists salute at the end was hilarious!

Lol I love Matt (the bassist) his general deadpan delivery and hair flicking nonsense makes the video so much more fun for me, I especially love the staring at the camera whilst slowly drinking from the red cup at the beginning. 

4 hours ago, twentytwenty said:

I'm down!

I am more than happy to try this again

• 8 months later...

Our first single got played on BBC Radio Wales tonight, and apparently our new single (out April 16th) may be getting airplay too. 

I've never managed to get on the BBC before. All my solo stuff had been rejected. Genuinely delighted and amazed. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2