Sign in to follow this  
Ry-Bread

Atom Willard Q/A

Alright, took a few weeks but Atom was kind enough to reply to some of our questions. He preferred to type them out instead of hopping on a call, so will list the questions and his answer below. (We can move this thread to side bands soon, but want people to see it?) Funny thing, we are now known to him as #TheCommunity LOL...

6dOP9U2.jpg

Thanks to those who sent in questions, it's short and sweet, but obviously very cool of him to do... enjoy!

At what age did you start drumming? Who do you credit as getting you started?
“I was 4. Parents got me a kit for Xmas after I was banging on pots and shit around the house.”

How did you initially get involved with AVA?
“Tom called me and said hey I’m starting a new band do you wanna be in it”

Favorite AVA memories?
“I have never laughed so hard, or for so long than those times with Matt and David making the videos for Modlife”

Do you stay in touch with Tom/David/Matt?
“Yes”

Favorite AVA song? Fav AVA song to play live?
“I loved so many…you can’t make me choose!!! Call to arms and breathe and flight of Apollo and…”

Were there any wild AVA ideas that the band told Tom NO to?
“always. He wanted us to descend from the ceiling.”

During Love 2, did you get the vibe that the songs were beginning to sound too similar to previous songs?
“we were working on that record at separate times, often not in the studio together… it was a different thing.”

Ketamine for Breakfast drum cover was awesome, can we expect any new drum covers coming soon?
“thanks…yeah I should do more of those”

Any plans for another theHELL EP?
“I have lots of songs for a 3rd ep but scheduling is harrrrd”

Difference between playing in Against Me! vs. AVA?
“angels was all about trying to recreate the records as closely as possible, AM! is all about crowd to band interaction and the level of that determines the direction of the shows.’

Are you able to give any update on the new AM! album?
“working on it now”

Advice for upcoming artists?
“don’t be afraid to be inspired directly by someone or something, just be sure what you make is unmistakably yours.”

• Like 5
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, Ry-Bread said:

Were there any wild AVA ideas that the band told Tom NO to?
“always. He wanted us to descend from the ceiling.”

This is fucking hilarious

• Haha 7
  • Wow 1

4 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Favorite AVA memories?
“I have never laughed so hard, or for so long than those times with Matt and David making the videos for Modlife”

Surprised he didnt mention Tom here

On 3/6/2020 at 7:38 AM, Ry-Bread said:

This made me smile. I forgot that there was actually a time when Modlife was actually very good and well worth it imo. There was a period where the band was very active on there, and they’d frequently have video chats with the members. They’d always upload stupid funny videos like what we used to get from pre-hiatus blink-182. Plus a Modlife subscription got you into AVA Meet & Greets, which meant you could meet the band for $20. I had a great chat with Atom at one of those. I was speaking with him and Matt Wachter at the same time and they were hilarious together and both seemed so genuinely grateful for the fans who were there. It’s easy to remember Modlife as a failure but I sometimes forget that for a time Modlife was actually very good.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 4:47 PM, Cheerios4u98 said:

This made me smile. I forgot that there was actually a time when Modlife was actually very good and well worth it imo. There was a period where the band was very active on there, and they’d frequently have video chats with the members. They’d always upload stupid funny videos like what we used to get from pre-hiatus blink-182. Plus a Modlife subscription got you into AVA Meet & Greets, which meant you could meet the band for $20. I had a great chat with Atom at one of those. I was speaking with him and Matt Wachter at the same time and they were hilarious together and both seemed so genuinely grateful for the fans who were there. It’s easy to remember Modlife as a failure but I sometimes forget that for a time Modlife was actually very good.

It was like as soon as Tom got blink back they just stopped Modlife and none of the other band members even came on anymore. Made it pretty pointless.