Bands you have seen live A-Z

Ghent

5 hours ago, Speedo said:

That's basically a participation ribbon.

cute. i mean, it's the single-most commonly used metric for popular success in the music industry: you are known by the number of albums you sell. ani difranco is highly regarded in the business in particular because she's a completely owner-operator enterprise, founding righteous babe records in 1990 to release her own material. if you're into folk music (and i'm not really, but if you are) it's sort of the epitaph or fat wreck chords of that genre.

but you're right, she hasn't been popular on alternative radio since the mid-nineties. little plastic castle (1998) was probably the peak of that.

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

cute. i mean, it's the single-most commonly used metric for popular success in the music industry: you are known by the number of albums you sell. ani difranco is highly regarded in the business in particular because she's a completely owner-operator enterprise, founding righteous babe records in 1990 to release her own material. if you're into folk music (and i'm not really, but if you are) it's sort of the epitaph or fat wreck chords of that genre.

but you're right, she hasn't been popular on alternative radio since the mid-nineties. little plastic castle (1998) was probably the peak of that.

Davey, I'm fucking with you.

11 minutes ago, Speedo said:

Davey, I'm fucking with you.

i know, i know. all i'm saying is, i'm not surprised people on these boards wouldn't have heard of her. i wouldn't either except... well i have a story too. i was crazy about this bi girl i was dating in college and she was crazy about ani. and difranco is one of those artists, that if you're got an entry point and you like really solid musicianship, she's hard not to fall for.

59 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

Every Ani DiFranco fan is either a lesbian/bi woman or someone who, at some point in their life, was close to a lesbian/bi woman in some way.

#facts

later in life, my partner of six years (also queer); on our first date i played "both hands" on the guitar. sealed the deal.

ani's still one of the best live performers i've ever seen.

• Like 2

To be fair she's been nominated for multiple grammy's, she's not just for gays. But to also be fair I was introduced by the fellow bi girl I was crushing on at the time... 

5 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

@Patient #48273 / @Kay i have many, many ani live bootlegs if anyone is interested

Hmm, I wouldn't be opposed lol 

13 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

#facts

later in life, my partner of six years (also queer); on our first date i played "both hands" on the guitar. sealed the deal.

ani's still one of the best live performers i've ever seen.

I cover 'Gravel' with relative success. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kay said:

To be fair she's been nominated for multiple grammy's, she's not just for gays. But to also be fair I was introduced by the fellow bi girl I was crushing on at the time...

She's the gay pride rainbow of music.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kay said:

I cover 'Gravel' with relative success. 

hopefully the (superior) living in clip version and not the (lesser) little plastic castle version.

i did "both hands" / "gravel" / "out of habit" at a beatnik coffeehouse in college with the aforementioned lady. me on guitar, she on vox. walking cliche.

my top album is out of range. hands down.

Just now, daveyjones said:

hopefully the (superior) living in clip version and not the (lesser) little plastic castle version.

i did "both hands" / "gravel" / "out of habit" at a beatnik coffeehouse in college with the aforementioned lady. me on guitar, she on vox. walking cliche.

my top album is out of range. hands down.

Yeah Living Clip version. I prefer most of the living clip versions to the album versions to be fair. although I don't do the weird hooting she does at the beginning haha

I would cover more Ani but I hate learning stuff in funky tunings, I seriously cba with it haha

• Like 1

Just now, daveyjones said:

most of the progressions are easy enough to transpose. i play both "gravel" and "both hands" in the C-F-Am register.

Yeah I play Gravel in standard, I just don't think I care enough to try and work out a standard method of some of the others. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daveyjones said:

i chalk it up to that she's an extremely skilled guitar player. and i'm shite.

I am alright. considering it's been my main instrument and passion for over 20 years I should be a lot fucking better than I am, but I'm pretty good at acoustic. much better than I am at electric haha